Low Cost Or Low Casm

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Much has been written in various threads about CCY's near tunnel-vision on the cost side of the cost vs revenue equation. So let's examine the equation closely, starting with revenue.

As most of you know, revenue is usually stated as revenue per available seat mile (RASM for short). This figure is derived from 3 major components plus some number of minor components. The minor components (and usually very minor) could include income from performing contract maintenance or training, interest earned, etc. Like any manufacturer, the major components are - how many "widgets" do you manufacture (available seat miles), how many do you sell (load factor), and what do you charge for each (yield). Increasing either (or both) of the latter two more than the first (or conversely decreasing them less than the first) increases RASM. This is usually accomplished by a combination of advertising and product differentiation.

How much are we doing of either? Advertising speaks for itself. But what differentiates our product from our competitors?

In the case of the other network carriers, we are at something of a disadvantage because of our limited geographical coverage. Why choose us when going from Richmond to San Antonio, changing to AMR in Dallas, when you can ride AMR all the way? The codeshare with UAL (& ultimately the STAR alliance) helps but doesn't quite make up the difference. Why ride us from Erie to Boise (or Tokyo) when you have to connect with UAL in Chicago (a different terminal) when you can just ride UAL all the way?

With respect to the LCC's, there are several obvious differences. International service, first class, service to more airports within our geographical coverage to mention a few. For those prospective passengers to whom any or all of these are important, the LCC's are out of contention. For the prospective pax whom aren't interested in any of these, we have to differentiate our product to either sell more seats (load factor) or charge more (yield).
If you're flying in coach from Albany to New Orleans, what do I get on US Airways that I don't get on Southwest?

In short, we can't just sit back and say "We're flying to the places people want to go" and count on the passengers showing up. We have to try to entice more people to choose us in the first place - advertise a product they want. Once they're on board, we have to give them a reason to come back, something they won't get on the LCC's - product differentiation.

Now for the other side of the equation - cost. Again, most will know that this is usually expressed as cost per available seat mile or CASM for short. Going back to "widgets" for a moment, the total cost of being in business divided by total widgets manufactured (ASM's) equals cost per widget (CASM).

At first glance, this side of the cost/revenue equation is simple - lower the costs and CASM will come down. But a closer look will reveal another component - ASM's. IF the ASM's are reduced nearly as fast as the costs, the CASM changes less than the cost.

In other words, if your plant is producing 200 widgets a month and the cost of the plant, equipment, labor, etc. is $2000 a month, the cost per widget (CASM) is $10. By laying off employees, reducing wages, etc., costs can be reduced to $1200 per month (40% reduction). But you only produce 150 widgets (33% reduction) so the cost per widget is $8 (25% reduction). Taken to extremes, cost per widget actually goes up - ulitmately to infinity. How so? Fire everybody but the boss and you're still paying for the plant & equipment. Costs might only be $100, but you're producing no widgets.

Still, in this period of lower demand ASM's have to come down. Why produce more widgets than you can reasonably sell? So that leaves costs as the remaining big variable. Given all the talk from CCY about employee costs, one would think that is all there is to cost. But employee costs are but one component of total costs - airplanes, terminal space, hangers, etc. all add to the cost. Many of these are either not controllable or can only be influenced (helped by bankruptcy). Moreover, we have to remember that CCY wants to lower CASM's. As in the widget example above, there is not a direct correlation between lower labor cost and CASM. Looking at U's 3rd quarter results, employee expenses (labor cost) was 4 cents per ASM***, while CASM was 11 cents. A 50% reduction in employee costs (to 2 cents per ASM) would lower CASM to 9 cents, a 22% reduction. (***It should be noted that that employee costs in the 3rd quarter were artificially inflated by the repayment of the pay deferrals that began in the 2nd quarter)

When we talk about CASM, we're really talking about efficiency - productivity is the economist's term. Productivity applies to both human and non-human assets, and is the true driving factor behind CASM. This is where we have a disadvantage, not just compared to the LCC's but to the other network carriers.

We lease a gate in PIT and use it for 4-5 flights a day. Southwest leases a gate in BWI and uses it for 8-10 flights a day. American leases a gate in DFW and uses it for 6-7 flights a day. Who gets the least productivity from their gates? Lower productivity equals higher CASM.

We lease a 737 and fly it 9-10 hours a day. Southwest leases a 737 and flies it 11-12 hours a day (no hubbing). American leases a 737 and flies it 10-11 hours a day (rolling hub concept). Who gets the least productivity from their 737? Lower productivity equals higher CASM.

We hire a ramp crew to work 4-6 flights a day (hubs). Southwest hires a ramp crew to work 8-10 flights a day (focus city). American hires a ramp crew to work 6-8 flights a day (rolling hub). Who get the least productivity from their ramp crews? Lower productivity equals higher CASM.

We have very few active employees hired after 1990 - top of pay scale in their jobs. Southwest probably has 50% of their employees hired after 1990 - at various levels of pay scale in their jobs. American has 20-25% of their active employees hired after 1990 - various levels of pay scale in their jobs. In addition to pay scale, there's amount of annual vacation, amount of sick time with older vs. younger workers, etc. Who gets the least productivity from their employees? Lower productivity increases CASM.

Finally, a word about RJ's. On identical routes, RJ's cost less to operate than 737's or Airbuses, but they also produce less seat miles. Once you get to CASM, RJ's are higher cost than the 737's or Buses. Mesa is probably the lowest cost RJ operator of any size in the country and their 3rd quarter CASM was 13.3 cents, after being reimbursed for fuel and insurance and not having to pay for gates. The moral being that RJ's are perfect for "thin" routes where pax loads won't support larger equipment. This can either be because of the market (hub bypass point to point or small city) or time of day (off peak). However, if the market will support a mainline aircraft, substituting RJ's just drives up the CASM.

I'll close with this from Herb about Southwest:

Maintaining a low cost structure is no simple task. It requires 35,000 People doing thousands of small things every day. But, the key word is People. Our People are the best. They are productive, friendly, service oriented, smart, and good. And, we think they are also happy to be with a Company that treasures their job security.

While other airlines are shedding employees and asking those that remain to take sizeable pay cuts, Southwest has negotiated nine new contracts with higher compensation and enriched benefits...

"But, the key word is People. Our People are the best. "

Got to love that Kelleher.

You see, U can only control Employee costs, cause they don't really know how to address the operating/revenue non-human asset end. They will "hammer" until they can get us to come to work for practically free, by threatening us with our jobs, and telling us that there are folks out there that will work for much less than us. This kind of management can not be retaught. Their ego doesn't prmit this.

And they will pull that "trump card" again, if we as employees permit it.

Okay BoeingBoy I’m following you. The problem seems to be either with the NorthEast as a hole; difficult to compete in for everyone or, the boyo’s in CCY are not doing their job’s only boning us.

Excellent post BB king, I vote you our new CEO we may still have a chance!

Attachments

• 67boeing.jpeg
    67boeing.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 93
PITbull said:
You see, U can only control Employee costs, cause they don't really know how to address the operating/revenue non-human asset end. They will "hammer" until they can get us to come to work for practically free, by threatening us with our jobs, and telling us that there are folks out there that will work for much less than us. This kind of management can not be retaught. Their ego doesn't prmit this.
I know this is redundant, but the problem with this company is with its upper management. The only things they are doing is either prep us for sale or simply stripping us of pay, benefits and dignity, nothing has changed operationally for this airline.
Hence the best thing we as employees can do is push for management with vision and the skills and foresight to treat its employees as assets as they do at Southwest. It will take the sort of culture change that upper management lied to us about.
We have seen the AFA come up with excellent ideas to improve efficiency; we have seen ALPA and the IAM do the same. All to no avail as it only falls on the deaf ears of the employees are the problem crowd in CCY.

I tell you these dudes are crazy and should be the ones shown the door!

Attachments

• crazy.jpeg
    crazy.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 92
Looking at U's 3rd quarter results, employee expenses (labor cost) was 4 cents per ASM***, while CASM was 11 cents. A 50% reduction in employee costs (to 2 cents per ASM) would lower CASM to 9 cents, a 22% reduction. (***It should be noted that that employee costs in the 3rd quarter were artificially inflated by the repayment of the pay deferrals that began in the 2nd quarter)

Excellent post BoeingBoy,

It would be dangerous for our labor leaders to once again ignore the symptoms of failing management. You can’t always believe the analysts but when there are overwhelming consistencies in their opinions as well as the opinions of other former and current Airline Executives, you have to begin an objective review of UAIR’s Executive perception of Reality.

There are contradictions in our Corporate Model as it tries to conduct business as usual in an evolving competitive market. Labor must determine if Management has a viable Plan. To be just as accountable as the rest of us. This is nothing new. We are all subjected to periodic performance reviews.

If patience is required to implement a credible plan – that’s one thing. But if this is the case, present this plan to the employees so perhaps they might become motivated to see it succeed in a excellence of execution. Management thus far has only succeeded in perpetuating a self-destructive environment of labor/management relations as it applies to goal orientation. Take a lesson from CAL’s history book with respect to Management/Employee cooperation.

If the plan is being built in the same fashion as the PHL International Terminal (make it up as you go), then there is in fact only a plan which reacts to competitive disadvantages already in process rather than anticipating or catalyzing industry dynamic change. USAirways Labor groups need to be at the vigil for symptoms of another unresponsive Executive team. The Window of opportunity to effect change in slim.

Posted on Sun, Nov. 09, 2003

Southwest's entry will change market

Tom Belden
is a writer for The Inquirer's business news staff.
Airline travel as Philadelphia has known it for decades is on the verge of a profound and long-lasting transformation. The agent of change is Southwest Airlines, the company known for low ticket prices and making money through good times and bad.
Over the next few years, the region may end up without any dominant airline; many of US Airways' 5,000 local employees could be looking for other jobs; and the airlines left standing are likely to have more passengers, who will fly around the country for less money. The last will be a boost to the local economy.

EconBoy

Very indepth analysis and I couldn't agree more about productivity being the key in decreasing costs. The difference between WN and US is that WN had planned all along to base their cost structure on productivity. They outlined their productivity standards at their inception and created a productive culture.

Productivity is culture and you cannot change productivity without changing the culture. Unfortunately this is the most difficult piece of a business to change. Years and years of work rules have been built up and any attempt to dismantle or affect in any major way what the unions have agreed to will be detrimental to morale. The culture at US is too established and nearly impossible to change with an already low employee morale. It is a double-edged sword.

I do not have any solutions because they are harder to come by than all parties perceive. Advertising is beneficial in a perfectly competitive marketplace but not always in the airlines. At issue is the total negation of any positive advertising by the negative experience that passengers have when they fly.

Actually...I do have a broad solution but it must be done in two steps.

1) Improve morale drastically. I'm not sure that this can be done reasonably, however, as there are unreasonable demands from the workforce and little seems to boost morale at U...even the most positive of efforts.

2) Once (if) morale is boosted drastically, THEN and only then work to improve productivity. Attempts to increase it prior to morale increasing will only create the illusion of "demands" and will further demoralize the workforce.

But it's a lengthy and costly process to achieve the above. Good luck.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read the productivity angle.

IAM-fleet/CWA contracts at U do not proscribe productivity in ANY way, shape, form or fashion.

1. Fleet/customer service did not come under contract until 1999. Prior to that, we were employees at will. U lost money most years PRIOR to that.

2. Fleet/customer service contracts basically regurgitated the personnel guide we had always lived under. Few improvements were made, and none had a significantly financial impact. Quite a bit of hell was raised by the membership at the 'quality' of those contracts.

3. Both contracts prescribe cross-utilization; In class II stations, 25% of an agent's time can be scheduled in the other classifiication;i.e. one quarter of a fleet agent's time can be scheduled in customer service. Guess what? IT NEVER HAPPENS!!. I've seen overtime routinely paid in fleet when there was an available open-time customer service agent. MANAGEMENT has full discretion in this area.

4. Best of all, WN is in our local lodge, and I've read their contract. Let me repeat my 1999 challenge to any and all comers. I'll take the WN contract, WORK RULES AND ALL!.

I should do this post in Word, to be 'reapplied' as needed.

Funny, nobody has ever done a factual rebuttal, just keeps kicking the 'productivity' horse.

Rant off!!

diogenes said:
Funny, nobody has ever done a factual rebuttal, just keeps kicking the 'productivity' horse.

Rant off!!
I see what I see. I don't really care about the language in a contract...and the people at WN (for the most part) don't either. They hire energetic people with a positive attitude that are productive on their own...not forced that way by contracts telling them exactly what % of time they need to do this or that. It is a guideline for WN employees and they do not (generalization but mostly accurate) run back to the contract to see if they can actually do something and if it falls under their obligations. That is culture. So I'll pitch the culture angle again as being the first step. Then yes...productivity.

...I thought BoeingBoy's facts were quite good...

WN does hire energetic, productive folks. They also MAINTAIN their employees, which is a horse of a different color from what U does.

And I heartily endorse BB's post.

My take on it was WN gets more efficient use of their facilities (planes, gates, etc.) and more productive employees flow from that.

Let's say WN flies 15 flights a day into RDU, and U operates 10. Let's say operations for both commences at 0600, and ends at 2200. No matter what you do, WN will be more productive (more flights per employee) than U. The only way U could compete in RDU was have the employees subsidize U's less efficient operation.

This, in a nutshell, is U's dilemma.

My point was, U's contracts do not constrain productivity. The allocation of physical resources is a major portion of CASM that dave would have us ignore.

And returning to the first point, U employees may not be as chipper as days of yore. It's hard to be positive in the face a decade-long barrage of bad news, the explanation of which is, it's all the employee's fault. How conveniently we forget High Ground, "put the airline to bed early and wake it up later," Metrojet, Business Select, etc., etc. Yet the great majority of us come to work and do a professional job, in spite of mismanagement.

I'd be happy to do more work to maintain my current, but diminished, standard-of-living. That is not what's being asked of me. It's to do the same or more work for 40% less.

I agree with most everything said here. But I am here just to give a first hand example of the problem you are speaking of at US Airways.

I am a pilot for one of the WOs. Here is just an example of how my work schedule looks for a trip. (Due to the Midway closure schdules has been modified and rewarded)

Show time Wednesday 0535
Dead Head: Arrive in DCA 0740
Go to the hotel all day and show back up at the airport at 1625
Dead Head: Arrive in GSP 1835
(A days work and NO REV FLYING DONE!!!)

Show time Thursday 0545
Fligth: Arrive in PHL 0812
Sit for 2 hours
Flight: Arrive in Ottawa 1155
Done (Sit in the hotel)

Show time Friday 0515
Flight: Arrive in PIT 0750
Sit for 1hour 25 minutes
Dead Head: Arrive back in Base 1024
THREE DAY TRIP DONE WITH 3 REV FLIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

Now I will not say that this is every trip but there are alot of trip with us that does only 2 legs per day. This is just an example of a tirp I have coming up this month!
And yes,, I am a line holder!!!!!!

PRODUCTIVITY!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT THINK SO.

Another angle on costs.

The contract carriers are strictly pay for play. They provide the a/c and crew, and the wherewithal to keep that going. They pay U a set amount per pax. End of story, right?

When Mesa rolls into our station, mainline agents work the flight. Does any of the employee costs accrue to Mesa? No - mainline absorbs the entire cost. When Mesa did a high-speed turn-out, and damaged the canopy of our jetway, and rendered it out-of-service until repaired, who absorbed the costs? Mainline. How about delivery of misconnected baggage? In the old days, I sat on the interline baggage committee. Recurring costs were applied to the carrier in error. Bet mainline U absorbs Mesa's costs here, too.

What other costs incurred by contract carriers are absorbed by mainline?

For the union leadership, I'd figure U is less than forthcoming with this information. Hire a few outside eyeshade types, and get a good conservative consensus of how much costs are being shifted. The labor members of the BOD should get in on this, as well. I'd guess the numbers are significant.

Latest posts