Maa, Pdt, Psa?

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Apparently the Republic deal is still an option that would be voted on by the new US Airways. I thought I heard them say they did not want to sell any slots, which was part of that transaction. Will the HP-run US still want to contract out the 170/190 flying? The unions should be very concerned with this because retaining that flying would prevent possible furloughs. Seeing as that aircraft family will likely replace most if not all 737 flying done by both carriers, it would likely be a significant part of the system.

And not a single mention of the wholly-owneds, or Express or RJs at all, which they are normally obsessed with. Clearly AirWisc will be significant and likely replace the current Mesa USX flying. US also has the ability in BK to end it's agreements with other contract carriers. Is HP-US interested in having owned Express carriers and divisions (multiple ones)? Or will AirWisc purchasing Piedmont and PSA, and be the single provider for US like ExpressJet is for CO?

Any thoughts or speculation?

Also, do the unions negotiate new contracts or pick one for the eventual combined operation? Will AFA from both carriers work together for a new agreement, or does one contract override the other?

A318s are pretty heavy for shorter haul hops. A slim maybe for thinner transcon routes... but that's not the main thing regarding 100 seat flying.

Honestly, if I was the company, what I would do is go with the much cheaper labor cost and economics of the E190/95 than the A318. They negotiated laughable pilot contracts on the EMB family, why would they use an A320 family, same size aircraft that's more expensive to operate, and has much higher labor costs?

The company's not exactly trying to scope flying back in, they are trying to contract out as much as possible, or at least do it at lower costs in house(see "MAA" E170, or PSA CRJ700 compared to mainline F28 or BAE146).

LY,

Since nobody has jumped in, I'll give my 2 cents worth.

As I understood it, you're exactly right on the Emb-170/slot deal.

Right again on no mention of PSA, PDT, or affiliates. As you say, AirWis has bought a place in the fold, but Mesa (at USX, not HP express) may be out. Interestingly, in AC's press release on the deal intimates that they expect significant new opportunities for their Jazz division in trans-border flying. (AC press release)

Pitbull could give you better specifice for how AFA handles combining contracts, but I suspect it's similiar to ALPA. Respective MEC's form a joint negotiating committee that then negotiates a new agreement for the combined employee group. It goes like you'd expect - the committee tries to get the best of both contracts while the company tries to get the worst of each (hopefully, HP management will be better to work with in this regard).

I would expect you're right on the Emb190 vs A318. As I recall, HP's initial Airbus order was for 318's, but they've never gotten any. I guess it depends on what the combined contracts have for scope, unless they get them flying under US scope and present the joint negotiating committee with a fait accompli.

Jim

in AC's press release on the deal intimates that they expect significant new opportunities for their Jazz division in trans-border flying. (AC press release)
That makes sense, as code share flights up into A/C's Hubs will connect the US/HP feed onto A/C international flights.

Kinda further kills off the need for a Midwestern hub with Toronto too...

Plus I believe that Air Canada will be amoung the first to begin flying the E-190's if memory serves... The Ejets are well suited for that kind of expansion, esp into the Midwestern US and Rockies...

IMO much of what this topic asks was not answered today because much of that is still being negotiated. They probably wanted to get this announcement announced, and figured they would shore up the details regarding Air Wisc, Mesa, Chautauqua/Republic, PDT, PSA, and last but not least MDA during the next few weeks...

As usual, we will just have to wait and see how things play out. Trying to guess on something this fluid right now is a waste of time.

The only thing I can add is this: The merger is between America West Holdings and US Airways Group. In other words, its not a merger between America West Airlines and US Airways, Inc.

Since group is in the merger, I presume PSA and Piedmont go with. Naturally, since MDA is technically a part of US Airways, there is no way to separate it anyways.

There was mention in the really, really long press release from the company

US Airways/US Airways Express currently serves 179 cities and America West/America West Express serves 96 cities. When merged, the combined airline will become the nation’s fifth largest airline, as measured by domestic Available Seat Miles (ASMs). The combined airline is expected to operate a mainline fleet of 361 planes (supported by 239 regional jets and 57 turboprops for feed into the mainline system), down from a total of 419 mainline aircraft operated by both airlines at the beginning of 2005.

PDT has exactly 57 aircraft in it's fleet, so that makes that pretty easy to figure out. The big question is what is the RJ breakdown.

To add to that I can't even see why you would even think at this point now that a merge is in the work to sell something that is making money like MAA and that is valuable like the slots in LGA and DCA. WIth the lower cost and the feul economy of the aircraft, with the oil as expensive as it is, should taken well into consideration. especially with the 190's soon to come out.

BoeingBoy said:
Pitbull could give you better specifice for how AFA handles combining contracts, but I suspect it's similiar to ALPA. Respective MEC's form a joint negotiating committee that then negotiates a new agreement for the combined employee group. It goes like you'd expect - the committee tries to get the best of both contracts while the company tries to get the worst of each (hopefully, HP management will be better to work with in this regard).
[post="271300"][/post]​

AFA is similar in that a each MEC appoints a merger committee, but our bylaws are more cut and dry that it goes by strict date of hire. There's no real wiggle room in there when you have two AFA-represented carriers. Each respective merger committee compiles the seniority list. If both carriers give seniority credit for training, the two lists are merged together and people fall within it wherever they do. OTOH, if one of the two carriers does not give seniority credit for training days, those days are added for those affected flight attendants and a de facto date of hire is established. Once that process is complete, the two lists are combined and again, people fall within the list wherever they fall.

Rico said:
Kinda further kills off the need for a Midwestern hub with Toronto too...
[post="271312"][/post]​

How? You won't (and I believe it may even be illegal, if AC does it) connect people from one point in the US to another via Canada. The connection times would absolutely suck, and you still have to clear Canadian customs for most connections in YYZ.

GroundedBoricua said:
To add to that I can't even see why you would even think at this point now that a merge is in the work to sell something that is making money like MAA and that is valuable like the slots in LGA and DCA. WIth the lower cost and the feul economy of the aircraft, with the oil as expensive as it is, should taken well into consideration. especially with the 190's soon to come out.
[post="271327"][/post]​

And since we want to be an LCC, the only LCC that will be operating 190s will be JetBlue... and it will be just another plane. No divisions, subsidiaries, or outsourcing... just simplicity.

Have a listen to the May 20th 8:30A webcast with Doug Parker on www.americawest.com under employee relations. He gives quite a bit of info during the last 5/6 minutes of the call (about 1 hour into the call).....

Says US will most likely excercise its right to sell MDA to Republic.

18 CRJ900s would be shifted ASAP to the East Coast to replace unprofitable 737 flyin (...aren't these MESA aircraft?).

The merged entity will keep PSA as a seperate subsidiary of US Airways.

He claimed that the DH8 flying in the East is extremely profitable, very low cost and will most definitley be kept. He was quick to point out that we either own the a/c outright or have them on very low cost short term leases so they could be cancelled at a moments notice.

hharotz said:
18 CRJ900s would be shifted ASAP to the East Coast to replace unprofitable 737 flyin (...aren't these MESA aircraft?).

[post="271932"][/post]​

yes. AWA holds the options to add Mesa 900's...I think AWA scope allows up to 55 900's on the property, and Mesa flies 36 or so now. So its likely some will come East. Mesa/AWA is joined at the hip in PHX, Mesa was instrumental in AWA last BK, and Mesa's performance numbers for AWA are at an all time high.

As much as I hate to say it JO was quite savy in pulling out the 50 seaters from US. The writing was on the wall...pony up cash to keep the 50's flying or find a home where he didn't have to pay as much and diversify his risk. By my readings, he gave United 30 mil for 30 RJ's with a guarenteed rate of return and took over some of the liability of Delta's DoJets for a 12 year contract on the 30 other RJ's(which, BTW, JO say he's already struct a deal with somebody in China for the DoJets...unless Delta goes BK then the DOJet leases are wiped anyway).

And my guess is JO has his eyes set on Delta. Heard a rumor that some of the PHX boys were out in CVG looking at Comair assets...those poor Ba$tards.

Posted from today's news on theHub:

Q: What will happen to MidAtlantic?

A: We know that MidAtlantic employees have many questions. Our expectation is that we anticipate selling the EMB-170 aircraft. However, we don’t have any additional information to provide on this matter. When there are new developments, we will share them with you.

:down:

hharotz said:
Posted from today's news on theHub:
:down:
[post="273351"][/post]​

I wonder who they plan to staff those 28 aircraft with once it's officially announced. If it's anything short of a seperate operation within Republic, they will get two weeks notice from just about every MAA F/A. They keep thier mainline recall as long as they have completed 90 days with MAA and give appropriate notice.