Machinists to Help Delta Airlines' Workers Unionize

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Machinists to Help Delta Airlines' Workers Unionize
Monday October 16, 10:12 am ET

WASHINGTON, Oct. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) today unveiled a nationwide campaign to help organize more than 6,000 Ramp Service workers at Delta Airlines.

"Delta's Ramp workers are turning to the Machinists for our hard won experience at other airlines in crisis," said Robert Roach, Jr., IAM General Vice President of Transportation. "Our record of protecting pensions during the industry's latest assault on its employees and the fact that the IAM is an established presence at virtually every commercial airport in the United States was not lost on Delta's workforce."

"IAM members at United Airlines, US Airways, Northwest Airlines and Aloha Airlines are the only employees at those carriers to successfully negotiate new defined benefit pension plans in the face of bankruptcy-related restructuring," said Randy Canale, president of IAM District 141. "The IAM has the unique resources and industry experience to guarantee Delta's Ramp workers a voice in these turbulent times."

In addition to concerns over mergers, pensions, outsourcing and bankruptcy-related restructuring, Delta's unrepresented employees have endured unilateral pay cuts, benefit reductions, a frozen pension plan and discipline without the benefit of due process.

"This airline has a history of threatening employees who even whisper the idea of a union, but Delta's Ramp workers are ready to fight back," said Roach. "The Machinists Union is prepared to assist the carrier's other workers seeking the benefits of IAM membership as well."

The Machinists Union is the largest airline union in North America, representing more than 100,000 active Ramp workers, Flight Attendants, Mechanics, Customer Service Agents, Reservation Agents and other airport employees.

More information about the Machinists Union is available at http://www.goiam.org or the IAM's Delta Airlines organizing website, http://www.goiamnow.org.

unions can offer DL employees nothing they don't already have. look at CO's employees "just saying no". DL is on the verge of offering significant rewards to its employees to help rebuild the company. They can and will take all of that off the table in negotiating a new contract. But the pay cuts won't go away. DL has wanted performance based pay for all its employees for a long time. BK has given them the opportunity to rebuild their compensation schemes to make it happen. Unions will only short-circuit the process and leave employees with no rewards AFTER they've already taken the cuts.

Reactions: 1 person
unions can offer DL employees nothing they don't already have.

The unions can help prevent employees from being fired without cause. DL has been known to routinely fire employees who dare question management...even when management is clearly making a mistake.

The unions can also fight against DL and its outsourcing ways. DL has been one of the heaviest outsourcing airlines and the ramp workers have been particularly hard hit.

However, in the grand scheme of things, you may be right. The union has little power when companies can use the BK courts as a one-stop shop for reneging on contracts.

... DL has been one of the heaviest outsourcing airlines and the ramp workers have been particularly hard hit.

Exactly. The time for DL workers to organize was quite awhile ago. This seems like a case of closing the barn doors after the horses have gone out (or however the saying goes...).

Besides, the IAM needs to focus on better protecting it's current membership, instead of looking for new revenue streams.

I find it interesting, at this point in time, that the IAM would attempt to organize DL/FSC's.

Then again, i read that the IAM was "invited in" by organizing drives at 8/9 DL stations..
Bottom line ??

IF, ATL WAS one of the 8/9 stations, IT will fly, with "flying colors"

IF NOT, it will be ANOTHER failed attempt !!

SO, unfortunately, I'll predict failure, though I'll GLADLY print a "retraction", if I'm wrong.!!

Besides, WORLD TRAVELER will give us the EXACT "scoop"

Right WT ???

NH/BB's

I find it interesting, at this point in time, that the IAM would attempt to organize DL/FSC's.

Then again, i read that the IAM was "invited in" by organizing drives at 8/9 DL stations..
Bottom line ??

IF, ATL WAS one of the 8/9 stations, IT will fly, with "flying colors"

IF NOT, it will be ANOTHER failed attempt !!

SO, unfortunately, I'll predict failure, though I'll GLADLY print a "retraction", if I'm wrong.!!

Besides, WORLD TRAVELER will give us the EXACT "scoop"

Right WT ???

NH/BB's
;) ;) You are so right-on about Atlanta. If 'Lanta ain't for it, it Ain't ever gonna happen. And I'm sure WT ( the great wizard- who knows all ) will spew his wisdom and set us straight...

;) ---- Is this a joke, or what? The IAM? Roach calming they "protect pensions"? That's the biggest crock yet! Ask any exTWAer about how the IAM protected our pension!!! It was frozen for over ten years!!!! And how did they "protect" us during our integration? They through away the "Scope" clauses of our contract with not so much as a vote of the membership!----- And guess what? Mr. Bill (IAM) O'Driscal himself still has a positive space , first class, pass on aa to this day! :shock:---- But it is said that he offered to take care of any indigent exTWAer, at his Castle in Ireland!!! ;)------ He's all heart!!! :down:

;) ---- Is this a joke, or what? The IAM? Roach calming they "protect pensions"? That's the biggest crock yet! Ask any exTWAer about how the IAM protected our pension!!! It was frozen for over ten years!!!! And how did they "protect" us during our integration? They through away the "Scope" clauses of our contract with not so much as a vote of the membership!----- And guess what? Mr. Bill (IAM) O'Driscal himself still has a positive space , first class, pass on aa to this day! :shock:---- But it is said that he offered to take care of any indigent exTWAer, at his Castle in Ireland!!! ;)------ He's all heart!!! :down:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

EASY, Easy MCI.

Your "long in the tooth" now, and we(your friends) dont need you....BLOWING A GASKET !!!!!!!

NH/BB's

You Dleta Fleet guys better talk to the USAir Fleet guys about the IAM or what some call the MIA. The IAM organizers will paint a real pretty picture but talk directly to the ramp guys you will get an ear full. Most feel betrayed and sold out by Business Agents called AGC's who care more about securing unions dues to support there 100 grand yr jobs. Makes most of the ramp guys wanna puke!

You Delta Fleet guys better talk to the USAir Fleet guys about the IAM or what some call the MIA. The IAM organizers will paint a real pretty picture but talk directly to the ramp guys you will get an ear full. Most feel betrayed and sold out by Business Agents called AGC's who care more about securing unions dues to support there 100 grand yr jobs. Makes most of the ramp guys wanna puke!

And when you're done, visit your friends at NW and hear the exact same thing!

And when you're done, visit your friends at NW and hear the exact same thing!

I suggest you read the IAM Constitution and ByLaws very carefully. There is no autonomy. Other "locals" vote for your representatives, (who are selected for IAM loyalty). It is called a while ballot and it is the IAM's way of protecting "their own". They can over ride the vote of the membership if the Grand Poopaws feel it is in the best interest of "the whole". They GAVE away the TWA f/as SCOPE agreement without any discussion and now those f/as are "falling" off the seniority list. READ! READ! READ!. Very little of the dues monies stay with the Local. They claim great legal services but "outsourced" the TWA lawsuits to shady lawyers that couldn't even make it to Court. They used "never lost any seniority" to encourage the f/as to leave their independent union and we ALL know they can't use that as a selling point any more. ALL the former TWA f/as have lost their seniority and their jobs. Anyone is better than the IAM.

I suggest you read the IAM Constitution and ByLaws very carefully. There is no autonomy. Other "locals" vote for your representatives, (who are selected for IAM loyalty). It is called a while ballot and it is the IAM's way of protecting "their own". They can over ride the vote of the membership if the Grand Poopaws feel it is in the best interest of "the whole". They GAVE away the TWA f/as SCOPE agreement without any discussion and now those f/as are "falling" off the seniority list. READ! READ! READ!. Very little of the dues monies stay with the Local. They claim great legal services but "outsourced" the TWA lawsuits to shady lawyers that couldn't even make it to Court. They used "never lost any seniority" to encourage the f/as to leave their independent union and we ALL know they can't use that as a selling point any more. ALL the former TWA f/as have lost their seniority and their jobs. Anyone is better than the IAM.
<_< ----- As a "former" IAM member, I thought I'd never say this, "but", there is one other worse than IAM. That's the TWU! Frankly your better off staying non-union! At least you don't have to pay dues! Everything else would be the same!!!!! ;)

looking for new revenue streams.
This sums up the drive by the IAM. If you think they're trying to organize DL because they want to help them get improvments and protection for their employment, think again. If this drive fails, they will continue to look for opportuinties to organize (new revenue streams) other groups. Unions are a business first, and when they lose revenue such as employee layoffs and employee pay cuts, they have to figure out ways to increase that revenue. Got to keep the cash coming in to pay the fat cats.