Nov 11, 2003
NC
September 13, 2004
File: USA-18
2004-92

IAM / US AIRWAYS UPDATE

TO ALL IAM MEMBERS AT US AIRWAYS:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

The announcement that US Airways has filed for its second Chapter 11 bankruptcy in as many years is indeed a disappointment for IAM members who provided more than $1.5 billion to finance the company's previous bankruptcy restructuring. Despite our best efforts, this company is once more a victim of mismanagement and failed business plans.

While fate and circumstance has made you veterans of the bankruptcy process, members and their families will be justifiably concerned about the future. Having landed the carrier in bankruptcy, it remains uncertain where management plans to take it next.

In the immediate future, US Airways will fly the same schedule today as it did yesterday. Employees will be paid on time and banks will cash all US Airways paychecks. Medical claims will be processed in the same manner and retirees will receive pension checks as usual.

All provisions of our collective bargaining agreement remain in effect today. The IAM will continue to enforce our contracts through the established grievance procedure.

When the possibility of bankruptcy became apparent several months ago, the Machinists Union retained bankruptcy attorneys who are prepared to represent you in court. The IAM has resources and experience in this area. We do not intend to be passive participants in US Airway's bankruptcy. We are, in fact, primed to play an active role.

Although changes affecting all US Airways employees are possible, it is unclear how soon any changes may occur. Your careers and the welfare of your co-workers, friends and families depend on our solidarity at this critical stage.

Bankruptcy can sometimes be a lengthy process, and we will keep you informed of developments throughout.

Sincerely and fraternally,

William O'Driscoll
President and Directing
General Chairman
IAM DL 142

S.R. Canale
President and Directing
General Chairman
IAM DL 141

September 13, 2004
Machinists Union Responds to Latest US Airways Bankruptcy

“The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) is
prepared to aggressively represent our US Airways members through every step of the bankruptcy process,†said Robert Roach, Jr, IAM General Vice President of Transportation, following news that US Airways had filed for its second Chapter 11
bankruptcy in as many years.

“Our members recognized the poor state of US Airways seven months ago and offered the airline much-needed cost savings proposals, but were turned away,†said Roach. “We are determined that any restructuring should not be at the wxclusive expense of employees who already provided $1.5 billion to fund US Airways last bankruptcy restructuring.â€

“The IAM warned US Airways during their first bankruptcy that its business plan would not work,†said Roach. “Now, management must listen to their employees if the airline is to emerge from bankruptcy.â€

“This latest bankruptcy filing is a disappointment, but sadly it is not a surprise,†said William O’Driscoll, President of IAM District 142. “Immediately after exiting their first bankruptcy, this airline began subcontracting our members’ work in violation of our contract. The animosity and distrust this created made it impossible to foster the positive labor-management relationship necessary for the company to succeed.â€

“US Airways management has thus far demonstrated an overwhelming inability to look beyond labor costs for any means to replenish falling revenues,†said IAM District 141 President Randy Canale. “This coming fight to save US Airways could find employees and management on opposite sides of the table or on the same side.

Management's choice in this matter will determine if the airline succeeds or fails.â€
IAM District 141 represents 4,600 Fleet Service employees at US Airways, and
District 142 represents the airline’s 4,500 Mechanic & Utility employees.

The IAM said, "Although changes affecting all US Airways employees are possible, it is unclear how soon any changes may occur."

USA320Pilot comments: It's my understanding that the IAM is beginning to change their tune with the company. I wonder why?

Respectfully,

USA320pilot

Oh no Mr Bill here we go again.

The IAM has not changed its tune. There has been no contact to the IAM from the company.

And by law the IAM is going to be forced to sit down with the company.

No changes in the IAM, stop posting falsehoods.

Why are you obsessed with the IAM?

You better watch your own contract as the company is going to inflict Mulitple PAINFUL CLAUSES on ALPA.

700UW said:

No changes in the IAM
[post="179496"][/post]​

I am not getting between this pissing contest but I will say that that is a half truth, no changes YET! Rest assured changes are coming soon, and will be hard fast and furious and that was the point of BK. They will have their way and you or I will not be part of it, unless the union decides to do seniority backwards giving the junior members a reprieve, NOT.

cavalier said:
I am not getting between this pissing contest but I will say that that is a half truth, no changes YET! Rest assured changes are coming soon, and will be hard fast and furious and that was the point of BK. They will have their way and you or I will not be part of it, unless the union decides to do seniority backwards giving the junior members a reprieve, NOT.
[post="179501"][/post]​

I have a few questions Cav. Based on your knowledge of the workings of the IAM workgroup do you see any way the IAM can save the heavy checks on the Airbus providing the ruling comes in favor of the IAM? Do you see them backing away from their stance that they have provided a list of savings and that's all they'll provide and suggest to the judge that he's the one to decide?

Yeah, reality will set in . Its a shame people cant change, and adjust. So goes the human race. I just want it dont and over with. Good luck to all, we all will need it now for sure.

The crystal ball reads:

Utility, gone.

Any heavy check above "C", gone.

Stores, gone.

PIT Heavy Maintance facilities, gone.

80% of the IAM M&R, gone.

My chances of ever getting recalled, gone.

I wonder how the IAM will spin it.

when is the IAM going to get there fleet service agents back to the ramps of STL BTV MEM AVP .WHAT IS THERE INTENT.THESE PEOPLE PAID DUES FOR NOTHING.

700UW said:

The IAM has not changed its tune. There has been no contact to the IAM from the company.

And by law the IAM is going to be forced to sit down with the company.

No changes in the IAM, stop posting falsehoods.

Why are you obsessed with the IAM?

You better watch your own contract as the company is going to inflict Mulitple PAINFUL CLAUSES on ALPA.
[post="179496"][/post]​

usa320 is obsessed with the iam probably because he is scared that he will be downgraded to the right seat of an mda emb-170!!!!

28yrsnojob said:
when is the IAM going to get there fleet service agents back to the ramps of STL BTV MEM AVP .WHAT IS THERE INTENT.THESE PEOPLE PAID DUES FOR NOTHING.
[post="179608"][/post]​

Golden Sacks says it aint gonna happen :shock:

MrAeroMan said:
I have a few questions Cav. Based on your knowledge of the workings of the IAM workgroup do you see any way the IAM can save the heavy checks on the Airbus providing the ruling comes in favor of the IAM? Do you see them backing away from their stance that they have provided a list of savings and that's all they'll provide and suggest to the judge that he's the one to decide?
[post="179557"][/post]​

First let me rant: This mess called bankruptcy should be really called: "Free pass to screw everyone you owe with the government’s blessings". This is called a tool by the executives and what that tool does is screw real people out of real money. I buy a new car, new refrigerator, stove, some expensive jewelry and charge them on my credit card, so in effect the credit card company actually owns that stuff until I paid them for it. So now for any number of reasons I just don't pay them and go to some greasy haired fat slimy attorney and ask to seek bankruptcy protection and get it. Now I can tell that credit card company to go pound salt and still keep my house, car, and just about everything including most of the items I just bought and didn't pay for. My brother-in-law who is a paramedic for the city of Pittsburgh and makes damn good money did just that a few years back because he simply got tired of paying his bills, which are really his obligations, obligations he chose to make. This bankruptcy thing in IMO is not even moral and goes against everything that is right. I think individuals like my brother-in-law and corporations that have millions in cash should simply not be allowed to do this crap, it’s dead wrong, period. If you remember I said U should go out of business and was blasted for it, well I still feel that way simply because no one individual or corporation should be allowed to legally walk away from their obligations. Those obligations by the way are contracts with the unions therefore bankruptcy is another form of union breaking sanctioned by our very government. Protection my a-z-z- for unions in bankruptcy, they get screwed every time, and hard!

NOW onto the IAM issues...Common sense only speaking here: IF the IAM wins and IF this sorry A-Z-Z company survives, then yes we will do the bus work, if the IAM loses, well obviously not.

Saving issue: I don’t see the IAM backing away from anything and that is one of the few things I do like about the IAM, they go for broke whether it breaks everybody or not, look at their history for proof.

Good Night...Cavalier

cavalier said:
[post="179501"][/post]​

Cav,

That's the point. The IAM has told its members the full thuth...that no changes have taken place YET. We are in BK, anything could happen, IAM just clearly explained this.

You are the one that said previously that the concession stand is closed and that you were in agreement with your leadership. Have you changed?

Answer is YES or NO..no double talk..walking backwards.

PITbull said:
Cav,

That's the point. The IAM has told its members the full thuth...that no changes have taken place YET. We are in BK, anything could happen, IAM just clearly explained this.

You are the one that said previously that the concession stand is closed and that you were in agreement with your leadership. Have you changed?

Answer is YES or NO..no double talk..walking backwards.
[post="179792"][/post]​
coffee and see until then you're guessing and will never know....Good Night Pitbull, and keep up that spirit many look to it.