Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
September 23, 2004
File: USA-18
2004-98

IAM / US AIRWAYS BANKRUPTCY UPDATE

TO: ALL IAM REPRESENTED EMPLOYEES

US Airways has notified the Machinists Union of its intention to seek temporary relief from labor contracts under Section 1113(e) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

Although a bankruptcy judge cannot impose permanent amended contract terms, a judge may grant a request for temporary relief. If a judge imposes temporary modifications, they are not a matter for negotiations with the Union and are not subject to member ratification. For more information on the 1113(e) process, review the US Airways Bankruptcy Q&A at www.iamdl142.org and www.iam141.org.

US Airways is seeking an immediate pay reduction of 23 percent, ceasing payments to pension plans, eliminating the minimum aircraft it is required to operate and the outsourcing of IAM members’ work. The letter we received from US Airways is attached for your review.

The IAM has responded with a request for US Airways to provide sufficient information to independently assess the company’s need for such drastic contract modifications. IAM attorneys will fight to preserve your hard-earned contract language in bankruptcy court.

We will keep you advised as the process develops.

Sincerely and fraternally,
William O'Driscoll
PRESIDENT-DIRECTING
GENERAL CHAIRMAN
District Lodge #142

Mechanic and Related 1113e Letter

Maintenance Instructors 1113e Letter

Fleet Service 1113e Letter

In all three 1113e letters to the IAM there is no Out of Seniority furloughs.

Just have to wonder if they will announce a 23% pay cut for all non unionized workers on the property including managment? I know it could cost us some of the highy prized managment personnel who may jump ship for a better offer. Just maybe once the cuts come into play Judge Mitchell can "Ok" a retention bonus for those who stay!!!!!! Everyone including the Judge see's the benefit from last time!!

Theres no out of sinority furloughs, because i bet they wont be much work for mechs, when this is done. I wonder if IAM will talk now? Any thoughts?

Most mechanics have a transferrable skill and although worried will make do....You on the other hand I tend to worry about, even when you get furloughed and start to apply for re-training loans may be in trouble. DELETED

The Company is really trying to stick it to everyone. I'm guessing they are using the 23 percent drastic reduction to make the actual new agreements seem better than they will be and to force the unions to come to terms on what the Company is asking for. 23 percent is really rather high ... for someone making $35,000/year, that's over $8,000/year.

The airbus decision will be released on the 28th.

USFlyer said:
The Company is really trying to stick it to everyone. I'm guessing they are using the 23 percent drastic reduction to make the actual new agreements seem better than they will be and to force the unions to come to terms on what the Company is asking for. 23 percent is really rather high ... for someone making $35,000/year, that's over $8,000/year.
[post="183545"][/post]​

Then why didnt they do this before? The original CWA (sorry for the thread hijack) was 35% and that was the first and last offer from the company. I know a lot of people who would have probably voted for something in the line of 15 to maybe even 20% depending on what else was proposed with it (a buyout would have helped, but we all know that isnt happening.) Bottom line, they didnt even seem to want to try to work something else out. Imagine the bad will that will take years to replace with all the cr#p thats gone on. I would have loved to have known if something else could have been worked out without having something crammed down our throats. I guess it goes with the power trip though.

tadjr said, I know a lot of people who would have probably voted for something in the line of 15 to maybe even 20% depending on what else was proposed.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!!!!! NOT FOR ME!!!!!

ITRADE said:
Prepare for vaseline insertion...
[post="183542"][/post]​
dude...if the company holds the vaseline...then why do they wish contractual release related to outsourcing?
i'd think they would not go there if they have the 'aces'...
you are aware union and company have the results of the decision don't you?