Mainline Express Stations

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Can anyone come with an accurate list of "Mainline express" stations?

[Sidebar - It is amazing how many people at US Airways - not just pilots and F/As, but C/S and ramp agents have no idea what ME is]

With so many of the them having mainline flights, it's hard to keep track of. (Unless you ask someone who works there.)

Let's see:
MKE
ABE
BHM
AVP
PWM
SDF (or is that a Piedmont stn)
MEM? possibly mainline?
TYS (might be PAI)
AVL
BTV
MDW
YUL (I understand that owing to Canadian or Quebec law the employees still get M/L pay for now)
SRQ
DAY (Once a hub)
STL
CLE

I know that there are more, but don't know which ones.

A talk with someone who works in an ME stn reveals that the people there hope that since HP doesn't have such a thing, they might become "real" M/L employees once the opertional merger takes place.

Dont call me Shirley said:
A talk with someone who works in an ME stn reveals that the people there hope that since HP doesn't have such a thing, they might become "real" M/L employees once the opertional merger takes place.
[post="283199"][/post]​

I certainly hope all stations in the network become mainline stations. This mainline/mainline exp/express/MDA baloney is all part of the "divide and conquer" mentality of CCY.

I have not heard of HP having any actual "HP Express" ground employees. Correct me if I'm wrong though...it is my understanding that HP handles express in the hubs/focus cities, and that the cities that have only have express flights are handled by either 1)HP or 2)OA vendor.

With US Airways now having the lowest wages in the industry, how beneficial is it for us to run parallel operations in PHL/CLT with a separate group of mainline/express ground employees? How is this operationally efficient?

UA had mainline take over the ramp/gates/ato functions of all ORD express operations from AWAC earlier this year. Aparently cust svc and PAWOBs have improved dramatically.

my hope after the merger is that all the wholly owned airlines along with mid-atlantic will also merge and become one airline.

Running 2 seperate companies with the overhead is a dumb idea

You folks are woefully uninformed. Mesa runs all the express ops in PHX and selected outstations, all PHX express ramp is performed with Mesa employees.

sadly, the whipsaw will continue

DAY/TYS/AVL/SDF are Piedmont/PSA handled ops. MDW is closed. PNS should also be added to the list.

"
With US Airways now having the lowest wages in the industry, how beneficial is it for us to run parallel operations in PHL/CLT with a separate group of mainline/express ground employees? How is this operationally efficient? "

In view of the need to continue to move down costs ........ would it be possible to move all of PHL/CLT to mainline/express ground employees?

Keep in mind that the "MLE" Classification only exists for the CWA group, but not the IAM-FSA's. We were fortunate enough to just have our jobs outsourced, instead of remaining MLE status....

ALCARLOS said:
"
With US Airways now having the lowest wages in the industry
[post="283245"][/post]​

UsAirways wages are poor, but there are lower wages to be had. Just ask some of the MDA folks that are being asked if they would like an interview with Republic once the 170's are sent over.

the turtle said:
You folks are woefully uninformed. Mesa runs all the express ops in PHX and selected outstations, all PHX express ramp is performed with Mesa employees.

sadly, the whipsaw will continue
[post="283217"][/post]​

That's what I get for paying too much attention to those water cooler discussions! :unsure: Thanks for the correction! :D

hharotz said:
That's what I get for paying too much attention to those water cooler discussions! :unsure: Thanks for the correction! :D
[post="283269"][/post]​

There has been constant talk that AWA fleet service could eventually take over work on Mesa flights in PHX. Doug Parker currently says that is not cost-effective but I'm sure there would be significant improvement with regards to ops, missed bags, etc.

Now there are former mainline stations that now only have Express flights. For example, ICT and COS. They are staffed by AWA fleet service and they make the same amount of dough as everyone else. They cannot be contracted out.

Can you imagine the amount of money we would make/save, if we rid ourself of the express classification, in PHL alone? Mainline CWA taking care of all the inside and Mainline Fleet Service Agents taking care of all the ramp...All of a sudden more bags would make connections...better teamwork, communication, less turnover and training cost(presently at the express), cross ultilization between mainline and express operations. Too bad Management can't admit, it is not working.