Major expansion at JFK

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
According to some of the rumors that I have heard at JFK.
AA will be making a major expansion announcement of new
international flying out of JFK. AA is planning to add 5 new
european destinations for 2011. Also new flying to at least
three addtional cities in south america from JFK.

They are suppose to be making this announcement some time
before end of September for 2011 flying.

Now my only question is where is AA getting the airplane
to fly all these new routes.......Will they pull more capacity
away from domestic? Will they bring back a few airplane back
from the desert or will they lease a few airplanes?

Well I guess will just have to wait for the official announcement.
I did hear that once the BA/AA alliance is finalized we will probably
not fly our current JFK-LHR full schedule........will probably drop
at least one frequency thus freeing at least one 777.

This is AA we're talking about, they don't expand, they retreat to focus on "The four corners".But watch as that becomes the "Triangle" of ORD,MIA and DFW and surrender of the rest of the country.

The "Expansion" at JFK will be BA metal, not AA.Well, not entirely true,there will be a lot of new flying for the "Wunder Jet" as the CRJ-700 is now known.Did they get a thousand of the things? Seems like an awful lot of flying penciled in for a relatively small fleet.

I too am trying to be excited by this news. I did have a friend that went to the meeting in New York and came away with LESS confidence in management. They showed a chart of where Delta and Continental flies and we are so far far behind that it will be difficult to catch up. I used to think that AA was being smart in reducing capacity and being conservative. Now I am of the thinking that we missed the boat. If we were making buckets of money over Delta then that would be one story. From what I have read, most analysts are predicting Delta to make almost a billion dollars next year while poor old AA cowers in the corner trying to rally the troops with some new 757 flying to destinations that others have gotten a foothold in. Now if this long anticipated announcement in September comes with a truly aggressive campaign of expansion along with NEW widebody state-of-the-art aircraft with AVOD in every seat then maybe I will change my mind. Somehow I think it will be the same old tired road we have been down since Arpey took the reins.

MAH4546 (who is right more often than not) has posted that the current 2010 summer schedule requires only about 43 of AA's 47 777s, meaning there's some excess capacity that could be used for new routes. Right now, some of those planes are devoted to frequent military charters - dunno if those will decline by next year. The new JFK-HND in October, 2010, will require most of the free time of two 777s due to the 10p-7a arrival-departure times at Tokyo.

The 787s are expected to arrive sometime beginning in 2013, but that's still a long ways off, and no doubt those deliveries will be further delayed (halfway thru 2010 already and the 787-8 has yet to be certified, let alone delivered). Boeing hasn't yet begun assembling the 787-9 (the model AA ordered), so I'm skeptical that the 787 arrives before sometime in 2014.

As to the schedule to LHR, I heard that BA will be giving up the several slots offered up as a sacrifice to the EU and DOT regulators, so BA may trim its LHR schedule instead of AA (which isn't giving up any LHR slots). Of course, AA may move some LHR frequencies around, now that it can fly from any US gateway and once it has ATI with BA).

According to some of the rumors that I have heard at JFK.
AA will be making a major expansion announcement of new
international flying out of JFK. AA is planning to add 5 new
european destinations for 2011. Also new flying to at least
three addtional cities in south america from JFK.

I could see daily 757s from JFK to - at a minimum - Amsterdam, Frankfurt and possibly Stockholm, and then maybe a flight to Scotland (Edinburgh or Glasgow) and possibly another market in Germany (Dusseldorf) or Scandinavia (probably Oslo). As for South America - that's surprising. To me, the only markets that would seem feasible there for AA from JFK would be Bogota, Lima and maybe Georgetown, Guyana - although all are already well-served (some by AA alliance partners). Hmmm.

Arpey has said repeatedly that when the BA/IB ATI is in place, AA will be growing to Europe with more flights and new cities. Should be interesting to see if/when/how that materializes.

This is AA we're talking about, they don't expand, they retreat to focus on "The four corners".But watch as that becomes the "Triangle" of ORD,MIA and DFW and surrender of the rest of the country.

The "Expansion" at JFK will be BA metal, not AA.Well, not entirely true,there will be a lot of new flying for the "Wunder Jet" as the CRJ-700 is now known.Did they get a thousand of the things? Seems like an awful lot of flying penciled in for a relatively small fleet.

Why the continued skepticism that AA will grow post-ATI? I continue to be amazed by this sentiment. Why would AA be any different than Delta, Northwest, United, Continental, etc. all of which have grown considerably once they got ATI in place with their partners?

As to the schedule to LHR, I heard that BA will be giving up the several slots offered up as a sacrifice to the EU and DOT regulators, so BA may trim its LHR schedule instead of AA (which isn't giving up any LHR slots). Of course, AA may move some LHR frequencies around, now that it can fly from any US gateway and once it has ATI with BA).

I think a consolidated AA-BA schedule at Heathrow will involve AA dropping some U.S. markets and BA doing the same. Namely, I don't see why AA would continue to fly BOS-LHR with BA, nor why BA would necessarily need to fly DFW-LHR. I think the big markets - JFK, ORD, LAX, MIA - will likely still see a mix of both airlines.

Beyond that, I could envision AA using some of those internationalized 757s to open up new nonstop routes to Heathrow from smaller U.S. markets like Hartford, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Baltimore (taking over for the current BA 767). And, on the same token of growth facilitated by the ATI and AA's 757s, I could also see AA replacing IB's A340s on BOS/IAD-LHR.

You're taking delivery of 45 738's this year, and another 8 next year. Some of that is no doubt being offset by MD80 retirements, but when the aircraft aren't heading out for re-sale, it's not all that difficult to keep them active and use the 738's to free up 757's, which in turn frees up 767's, and then a 777 or two.

I also recall there being two lines of AMC flying on the 777 fleet. With troops being pulled out of Iraq, a lot of that flying will dry up, so it's probably time to put those aircraft back into the schedule.

Why the continued skepticism that AA will grow post-ATI? I continue to be amazed by this sentiment. Why would AA be any different than Delta, Northwest, United, Continental, etc. all of which have grown considerably once they got ATI in place with their partners?

The current leadership prefers retreat instead of compete.Considerable growth at other carriers that have received ATI is a blueprint that will not be followed at American Airlines.

Unless they buy surplus tankers from the Air Force and adapt the CRJ-700 for aerial refueling on the North Atlantic.

ORD is losing the ORD- FRA flt, and when the AA-BA deal happens AA will have to give up LHR routes, that sounds like where AA can get the aircraft from. So this rumor sounds plausible.

ORD-FRA is a seasonal suspension only. It will be back daily for the summer and hopefully fulltime after that.

More electric chickens for us to fiddle with. How many OTS in JFK today?

Remember what happened to PAN AM? And we want that business model now. Wow. What ass hats. How many Arpey Stars can we get in our report cards for buying this contrAAct?

You're taking delivery of 45 738's this year, and another 8 next year. Some of that is no doubt being offset by MD80 retirements, but when the aircraft aren't heading out for re-sale, it's not all that difficult to keep them active and use the 738's to free up 757's, which in turn frees up 767's, and then a 777 or two.

I also recall there being two lines of AMC flying on the 777 fleet. With troops being pulled out of Iraq, a lot of that flying will dry up, so it's probably time to put those aircraft back into the schedule.

ooooh. Maybe the losers in charge will fly 737's to Europe next. :blink:
Yeah, our great expansion plans are flying more and more poorly configured 757's to Europe. Lord knows that EVERYONE wants to fly our crud version of the 757 on really long flights. These duds in charge really need to go. Really.
Sadly it seems to be the curse of TWA on us. They were shrinking, we were expanding, we bought them and have been turning into them ever since.

Yeah, our great expansion plans are flying more and more poorly configured 757's to Europe. Lord knows that EVERYONE wants to fly our crud version of the 757 on really long flights. These duds in charge really need to go. Really.
Sadly it seems to be the curse of TWA on us. They were shrinking, we were expanding, we bought them and have been turning into them ever since.

Here we go again, looking for excuses? TWA is AA's demise?

TWA died long before AA finally purchased it whole, ( when Uncle Carl sold the LHR routes to AA's Uncle Bob for a paltry 700m. ). This sale is the only reason why AA has a LHR presence enough to keep BA interested, and makes AA both viable and buyable to BA someday.

Those cramped 757 to Europe are only meant to temporarily fulfil our contract to fly AA metal into these cities. 757s will be replaced with 777 later once AA starts selling it's JFK-LHR seats on BA.

<_< ------- Skymess, not to worry!--------- AA will never be a TWA! You may look at this statement one way, while I another!

Latest posts