Management finally did something right for a change

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
In this news story about airline fuel hedging positions, the following appears:

MORE VULNERABLE

Government filings show that most major airlines have left themselves more exposed to high oil prices than they were a year ago.

<snip>

One exception to lower jet fuel hedges is American Airlines. On January 16, the world's largest carrier said it had hedged 24 percent of its estimated fuel needs for 2008. As of December 31, 2006, the company had hedged was just 14 percent of its anticipated 2007 fuel needs.

American Airlines said it has been rebuilding its fuel hedging program over the past couple years as it recovered from steep losses and typically hedges about 30 percent of its fuel needs.

Airlines typically layer in hedges over the course of the year, so the total percentage of annual fuel consumption hedged may grow by year end.

American's fuel hedging program "is not designed to try to speculate on the price of oil/fuel," spokesman Andy Backover said. "The purpose is to dampen the volatility of fuel prices."

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080313/airlines_fuel.html?.v=2

Won't insulate AA from $110/bbl oil, but it is a rare accomplishment for management.

Well that answers where has all of that cash been going to... At the end of this, AA management could look like geniuses for dumping money into fuel hedges and paying off the airline's debt.

Hmmm... a curious silence from the posters who normally go to great lengths to demonize management for every action it takes.

Is it possible that the "idiots" running the company are actually doing things to earn their compensation? No, of course not, that's just my "pro-management, elitist view".

Results are the bottom line, folks. Hard to argue with this.

Hmmm... a curious silence from the posters who normally go to great lengths to demonize management for every action it takes.

Is it possible that the "idiots" running the company are actually doing things to earn their compensation? No, of course not, that's just my "pro-management, elitist view".

Were still here. :up:

Just read trhe papers and watch the news on/around April 17th.

As my grandfather often stated, "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again."

At the same time, with the precipitous fall in the value of the stock; it would seem that we have attracted the attention of a major player in the "corporate take-over" scene:
Holder Shares % Out Value* Reported
GENDELL, JEFFREY L. 24,263,060 9.74 $340,410,731 31-Dec-07

Through several different companies GJL also controls the following:
SEC Filing, 18JAN08, From Free Edgar

Item 2(a). Name of Person Filing:

This statement is filed by:

(i) Tontine Overseas Associates, L.L.C., a limited liability company
organized under the laws of the State of Delaware ("TOA"), which
serves as investment manager to Tontine Overseas Fund Ltd., a
Cayman Islands Corporation ("TO"), Tontine 25 Overseas Master
Fund, L.P., a Cayman Islands exempted limited partnership ("T-25")
and certain separately managed accounts, with respect to the
shares of Common Stock directly owned by each of TO, T-25 and the
separately managed accounts;

(ii) Tontine Partners, L.P., a Delaware limited partnership ("TP") with
respect to the shares of Common Stock directly owned by it;

(iii) Tontine Management, L.L.C., a Delaware limited liability company
organized under the laws of the State of Delaware ("TM"), with
respect to the shares of Common Stock directly owned by TP;

(iv) Jeffrey L. Gendell, a United States citizen ("Mr. Gendell") with
respect to the shares of Common Stock directly owned by TO, T-25,
TP and the separately managed accounts.

The foregoing persons are hereinafter sometimes collectively
referred to as the "Reporting Persons." Any disclosures herein with respect to
persons other than the Reporting Persons are made on information and belief
after making inquiry to the appropriate party.

While GJL reported the 9.74% interest in shares outstanding, it appears that entities under his control control some 25% of AMR:
Gendell, Jeffrey L. and Tontine Capital

CUSIP No. 001765106 13G/A Page 8 of 10 Pages

Item 4. Ownership.

A. Tontine Overseas Associates, L.L.C.
(a) Amount beneficially owned: 9,321,254
(B) Percent of class: 3.74% The percentages used herein and in
the rest of Item 4 are calculated based upon the 249,121,904 shares of Common
Stock issued and outstanding as of October 12, 2007 as reflected in the
Company's Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2007.
&copy;(i) Sole power to vote or direct the vote: -0-
(ii) Shared power to vote or direct the vote: 9,321,254
(iii) Sole power to dispose or direct the disposition: -0-
(iv) Shared power to dispose or direct the disposition:

B. Tontine Partners, L.P.
(a) Amount beneficially owned: 14,941,806
(B) Percent of class: 6.00%
(ii) Shared power to vote or direct the vote: 14,941,806

C. Tontine Management, L.L.C.
(a) Amount beneficially owned: 14,941,806
(B) Percent of class: 6.00%
(ii) Shared power to vote or direct the vote: 14,941,806

D. Jeffrey L. Gendell
(a) Amount beneficially owned: 24,263,060
(B) Percent of class: 9.74%
(ii) Shared power to vote or direct the vote: 24,263,060

<PAGE>
/s/ JEFFREY L. GENDELL
Jeffrey L. Gendell, individually, and as
managing member of
Tontine Management, L.L.C.,
general partner of
Tontine Partners, L.P. and as
managing member of
Tontine Overseas Associates, L.L.C.

The link below is to an older story describing the business of Gendell, Jeffrey L.

Tontine Capital Management
"...A New York City investor who has a history of buying potential takeover targets has acquired a substantial stake in Baltimore-based First Mariner Bancorp..."

Given that on 31DEC07, GJL controlled 63,467,926 shares valued at 14.03/share as of COB on that day,
current close is at 9.16/share as of COB 20MAR08. GJL took a $309,088,799.62 haircut in less than 90 days. I doubt he values the current management as highly as others on this board, of course given the 10 Billion GJL reportedly has under management that is only a 3% loss.

The issue is what does Glendell, Jeffrey L. propose to do with his 25.48% stake in AMR and what conversations, if any, have taken place between GJL and current AMR leadership?

He was obviously trying to tag along on FL Group's coat-tails. It obviously didn't work...

And, I think you've messed up the math somewhere. As of 12-31-07, Tontine as a whole only accounted for the 24,263,060 shares. That's how it's listed on a couple of the financial websites, including OwnershipAnalyzer.Com, MSN Money Central and AOL.

With less than 10%, he can still make a fuss, but it looks like he's the equivilent of a takeover ambulence chaser, so I doubt he'll be taken too seriously by anyone at AMR or on Wall Street.

Besides, he's probably more concerned with the JP Morgan/Chase, Wachovia, Citicorp and Bank of America stock he's holding... over 152 banks and financial services companies in all....

Or the tract home builders, including Ryland, DR Horton, K Hovnanian, Toll, Centex, and Pulte...

And then there's UAUA and XJet...

Gendell's Holdings

[/quote

I find it interesting that a hedging of 24 % in 2008 by AA is even considered newsworthy much less touted as a success on the part of the "idiots".
Unless of course you consider it next to their abysmal record as far as hedging is concerned in previous years.
Are you actually suggesting this somehow proves those idiots(your words) have or are earning their pay because of this?
Pretty pathetic attempt on your part if you ask me.

Southwest has been loosing their hedges yet they make American hedges look sad,even after you consider
this collosal achievement by AA management.(Heavy dose of sarcasm here)

Southwest hedges:
2007 is 95% hedged at $50/barrel;
2008 is 65% hedged at $49/barrel;
2009 is over 50% hedged at $51/barrel;
2010 is over 25% hedged at $63/barrel;
2010 is over is 15% hedged at $64/barrel;
2012 is 15% hedged at $63/barrel.

I will take my hat off to this management team.

Your statement is not only biased ,it should embarrass you.
Whats next?
That one is earning his pay because he showed up for work?
It is a good thing AA is improving on this ,but far from what you make it to be.

They hedge fuel!!!!

Let's party!!!

Better yet, let's give millions in bonus awards for hedging fuel in today's environment.

Never mind that the stock is below $10 again, give the "idiots" their bonus awards so they don;t leave and go to work for someone else.

Southwest has been loosing their hedges yet they make American hedges look sad,even after you consider this collosal achievement by AA management.(Heavy dose of sarcasm here)

Southwest hedges:
2007 is 95% hedged at $50/barrel;
2008 is 65% hedged at $49/barrel;
2009 is over 50% hedged at $51/barrel;
2010 is over 25% hedged at $63/barrel;
2010 is over is 15% hedged at $64/barrel;
2012 is 15% hedged at $63/barrel.

Fair enough, but WN's not outspending AA by very much, because their current fuel consumption is only about 53% of what AA's is excluding Eagle. If you figure that Eagle's consumption is between 3 and 5% of AA's, then AMR is consuming twice as much fuel, if not more, than WN does.

AA = 771M gals per quarter per 10K filings, $6.6B for fuel in 2007
WN = 409M gals per quarter per 10K filings, $2.5B for fuel in 2007

Trying to hedge on the same percentage basis as WN means having twice as much free cash. WN's been willing to risk more of their cash because they have a pretty low debt-to-equity ratio, and if needed, can monitise a few assets. AA on the other hand doesn't have much furniture left to burn. The fact they've been able to hedge at all is an accomplishment whether you want to admit it or not.

He was obviously trying to tag along on FL Group's coat-tails. It obviously didn't work...

And, I think you've messed up the math somewhere. As of 12-31-07, Tontine as a whole only accounted for the 24,263,060 shares. That's how it's listed on a couple of the financial websites, including OwnershipAnalyzer.Com, MSN Money Central and AOL.

With less than 10%, he can still make a fuss, but it looks like he's the equivilent of a takeover ambulence chaser, so I doubt he'll be taken too seriously by anyone at AMR or on Wall Street.

Besides, he's probably more concerned with the JP Morgan/Chase, Wachovia, Citicorp and Bank of America stock he's holding... over 152 banks and financial services companies in all....

Or the tract home builders, including Ryland, DR Horton, K Hovnanian, Toll, Centex, and Pulte...

And then there's UAUA and XJet...

Gendell's Holdings

According to the SEC filing, GJL and Tontine own the amount stated.

Perhaps your search engine doesn't include offshore accounts. Simply go to the links provided in my earlier post and you will get a copy of the SEC filing to which I refer.

I do not own stock in AMR, nor do I hold, outside of my 401(k)'s which may invest portions of my contributions unknown to me, any financial positions with any aviation related companies. All options granted during the home invasion of 2003 were exercised last year prior to knowledge of this event.

Yes, and the amount stated is 24M shares. It's not 9 + 15 + 15 + 24.... It's 9 + 15.

Shares held by a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a holding company have to be reported at all three levels:

TOA's holding is the 9M shares.
TP's holding is the 15M shares.
Since TM owns 100% of TP, they have to report their effective control over the 15M shares held by TP.

Since Gendell has effective control over both TOA and TM (and by default, also over TP), he has to report his control over the 9M shares held by TOA and the 15M shares controlled by TP thru TM.

It's a crazy way of reporting ownership, but that's what transparency and disclosure are all about...

If only we (at TWA) had these guys Casey, Crandal, Aprey we'd still be in business.

Instead we were constantly ripped off by the likes of Icahn, and a never ending parade of money grubbing CEO's.

Kudos to the head honchos at DFW. :up:

Latest posts