Management looking to change 401K Plan Administrators

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
The below was sent from AFA WEST MEC to their West membership:

MEC Update Friday April 13, 2007

Retirement and Insurance– 401k Savings Plan

On April 4, 2007, MEC President Gary Richardson participated in a conference call with Tom Antonielli - Director Retirement Plans and International Benefits for US Airways.

This conference call was to inform union leaders and company officials of the progress of a Benefits Department’s review of the Retirement plan (401K)- currently administered by Fidelity Investments.

In January, a RFP (Request For Proposal) was released to 16 leading retirement services vendors. This vendor search was conducted, with the assistance of Employee Benefit Solutions (EBS) that addressed administrative, trust and investment management services of the considered providers.

According to Mr. Antonielli, US Airways conducted this RFP in order to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility which encompasses all aspects of the savings plans such as fees being charged, investments offered, communications, etc. Their goal was to determine which vendor will offer participants great service and products, at a reasonable price along with retirement tools that participants can use to assist in making decisions that better position them for a more secure future when preparing for their retirement.

US Airways initial review on February 6 eliminated six (6) vendors from consideration. Furthermore, the results of their second meeting identified the following four (4) vendors as finalists: The 401 (k) Company, CitiStreet, JP Morgan, and Fidelity. The next steps in the process are; the finalists will give presentations to the company on April 16-20, with the chosen provider being selected the week of May 7. Should a new vendor be selected, implementation would occur the week of May 14.

Fidelity Investments has managed the 401k retirement and saving plans at America West and US Airways for well over a decade. They have provided a good product and service to savings plan participants and AFA encourages the company to weigh this factor accordingly when making their vendor selection. We will provide more information to you as it is known on this important matter.

The WEST MEC President, Gary, is on the ball. I applaud him informing his membership and taking a position!

Hope everyone is observing this and is well informed! I currently have Citistreet with my NEW employer and the products are NOT as good as Fidelity. The company is looking uder every rock to take MORE cost savings from the employees retirement plans and options. Can you imagine what a nightmare for the employees to now change their investments and strategy for their 401K plans so the company can save a few bucks on the "Plan's administration"? Folks better be protesting this. Personally, I never transferred my 401K plan to my new employer's Citistreet because the investment returns are not as good as Fidelity. I have Citistreet with a new portfolio for future contributions but will NOT give them or transfer my 401K from fidelity because its just not producing the returns on investment. If the company hires another Plan Adminstrator, then we will have no choice. Why is it that when the company is searching to change something that is as important as 401K plans that they do not inform the employees until after they have signed new contracts with other investment brokers???? Answer: They don't want employee input. They just want cost savings at employees expense! We all know that senior management have their own investments and retirment compensation packages that are 1,000 fold larger than the rank and file. Some idiot VP benefit guy is campaigning this BS looking for his own bonus payout from the BOD.

Do your folks on the East even know about this????? AFA MEC East has not put it out, but I wrote to them to give them some info. If you care about this issue, you need to contact your LOCAL LEC. asap. Make sure that the company's argument for changing the plan admistrator is a valid one. I've learned to know that management can be extremely deceptive on these types of issues. Remember how they snuck on us the prescription switch-a-roo to "mail order" manditory ONLY. Those of you who currently have a 401K plan need to find out from your local reps if the company WILL set up the same portfolio investment options that they currently have with Fidelity along with including even more investment options. How often can you switch investments within the plan etc...

having dealt with Fidelity for many years - including before they were involved with any of the company programs - I can say "Ditto" to Bob's comments. Their customer service has always been excellent in my experience. They're not always the cheapest, but they're pretty competitive cost-wise if you have enough money invested thru them (north of $500K they're very competitive on price).

Jim

When will this shittt stop? I am not even currently working at U, and I still am getting effected by their concession mentality, even AFTER U profitting $500 million....I just can't for the life of me, escape this crap.

Geezus!!

When will the EAST MECP get off his azzz and let the members know that this is in the works????

Leave to Tempe management to try to nickle and dime us every chance they get. I have been with Fidelity for well over a decade, to change now would be a royal pain in the a$$. I have even set up additional accounts with Fidelity beyond my 401k purely based on the fact that they have always provided excellent customer service. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it. I mean really....

Have the other unions put this out???? Do they even know?

Do they even understand the implication? Does AFA East understand the implications???? Obviously the West AFA definitely get it.

Where is everybody on this issue?

As others have said the customer service at Fidelity is excellent. With all the frustrations this employee group has gone thru why would Tempe want to piss us off even more, as usual by "breaking" something that isn't broken and (are you listening Tempe) DOES NOT TO BE FIXED.

Keep Fidelity our Fidelity

Respectfully

LGA777

Did you guys just hear what our NEW company motto is going to be ?

"If it's not broken , will break it! " or your money not back gurannteed !

401 K savings vanish from brokerage accounts

One moment Dave DeSmidt had $179,000 in his 401(k) retirement account, the next he had nothing. In an instant, 25 years of savings had disappeared.

With a few clicks, someone raided DeSmidt's retirement account with J.P. Morgan & Co and ordered a full disbursement to a private checking account.

Then came the really bad news. While credit card and online banking accounts are legally protected in the event of fraud, DeSmidt's brokerage account came with no such insurance. Two months after the theft, his balance still read $0.

True story?

Interesting article but I'm confused Charlie what exactly was the point?
Since the subject of 401k's (yes USAirways does have a 401k brokerage option) I took the initiative to help participants become more aware of this type theft if they are not already. The story gave some tips on safegurading your accounts and I think most know you should change your password often. I am sorry I didn't know you would be offended by trying to help people become more aware. But thanks for asking anyway

J.P Morgan shouldn't be trusted?
Nope. The point is be aware that ALL accounts can be vulnerable. This stories example happened to involve JP but the point of the story wasn't about JP now was it? Of course your agenda includes being negative about everything and finding fault in anything specifically US. So I can understand your logic to focus on JP and the negative aspect of the story instead of the good aspect of becoming informed.
All Brokerage accounts are vulnerable and therefore US should do what?
I didn't say anything about US and neither did the story but of course that is your tunnel vision speaking. Again it is about what one can do to safeguard their US 401k. Wrong venue for this? Maybe... my bad

If you're advocating a return to a defined benefit plan, I'm sorry but for the average worker that ship sailed a while ago.

I am not sure where that came from but no further response needed
With funds handled electronically on a regular basis not only from Brokerage accounts but credit card and and host of other electronic monetary vehicles the risk of theft is always there.
Please elaborate.

Yes the risk is always there and if just one more person has become aware of that risk I think that is a good thing.

Want to elaborate, in your usual negative and/or crude way, why my post was a bad thing besides the obvious that it was off topic and not appropiate venue?

Charlie,

Wasn't trying to be crude, so please accept my apology.

So excuse my Lilly white Arse! :down:

Your previous post to me wasn't crude at all no need to apologize.

I was referring to your tendency of posting crude comments and insensitive remarks.

I guess the Lilly one could fit in there. Only my opnion of course and we all have one.

When will this shittt stop? I am not even currently working at U, and I still am getting effected by their concession mentality, even AFTER U profitting $500 million....I just can't for the life of me, escape this crap.

Geezus!!

When will the EAST MECP get off his azzz and let the members know that this is in the works????
Thanks for the update, I had no clue. I'm beyond tired of the company's nickle-and-dime mentality.

Thanks for the update, I had no clue. I'm beyond tired of the company's nickle-and-dime mentality.

Correct my if I'm wrong on this - but as I understand it - Management fees are paid by each individual who has money in their 401K account - and are NOT paid by the company. If you look at your 401K statements you will see a service fee deducted from your investment accounts on a regular basis. Don't think US would actually be saving any money by changing fund managers.

This is a standard practice. When you are coming up on a contract with a Benefit provider, you send out RFP's to try to get better contracts, better costs, etc.

I'd be much more concerned if they didn't look to new providers every few years.

I'm in negotiations with my health carrier now, I have to use them for the next year because it would cost too much to switch at this point, but I'm already getting read to shop around for next year.

This is a standard practice. When you are coming up on a contract with a Benefit provider, you send out RFP's to try to get better contracts, better costs, etc.

I'd be much more concerned if they didn't look to new providers every few years.

I'm in negotiations with my health carrier now, I have to use them for the next year because it would cost too much to switch at this point, but I'm already getting read to shop around for next year.

Witching Plan Administrators is extremely disruptive to the employees' investment portfolio. There are specific, and long-term funds that an employee strategically places in their 401K. You can not just up and switch fund options and think there will not be losses in the individual portfolio. By transfering into another broker, there are funds that are only specific to that broker and what they offer.

This is extremely disruptive. Meanwhile, back at the OK Corrale in Tempe, the Execs walk away for their 2006 compensation with MILLIONS$$$$!!!!

Witching Plan Administrators is extremely disruptive to the employees' investment portfolio. There are specific, and long-term funds that an employee strategically places in their 401K. You can not just up and switch fund options and think there will not be losses in the individual portfolio. By transfering into another broker, there are funds that are only specific to that broker and what they offer.

This is extremely disruptive. Meanwhile, back at the OK Corrale in Tempe, the Execs walk away for their 2006 compensation with MILLIONS$$$$!!!!
You don't know if they are switching. They are doing their due dilligence and shopping around and seeing what they get. I think Fidelity is fantastic, I have no problems with it. But, by shopping around, they might get better rates from Fidelity. You send out RFP's and make the bidding open to many providers, its competition.

This is what benefits departments are supposed to do. Hell, if they stayed with Fidelity, and didn't at least shop around and there were more fees on the new contract, everyone would be biatching about it and blaming the company for not having the knowledge to shop around.

As for execs making millions, that is what the market allows, sorry that you aren't getting a million, but if you want to be an exec, then change your career track.