Management Raises

D M G

Senior
Dec 2, 2003
I've been told that a manager in PHL just got a $16,000 per year raise. Other managers have also been given hefty raises. I thought they were only getting 4%. The upcoming pay and benefit cuts wouldn't hurt so bad if everyone was given this type of increase first.

Has anyone else heard this?

What.........this would surprise you?? I would expect nothing less from the dishonorable gang from CCY :down:

D M G said:
I've been told that a manager in PHL just got a $16,000 per year raise. Other managers have also been given hefty raises. I thought they were only getting 4%. The upcoming pay and benefit cuts wouldn't hurt so bad if everyone was given this type of increase first.

Has anyone else heard this?
Well, the question is, before starting another round of rumors, where did you actually hear this information from?

The 4% figure has been known for a few weeks. I do not know about the other figure but again, it wouldn't surprise me at all <_<

DMG

Before you spread FUD, perhaps you should know that EVERY manager in the hub has had their job reposted and has to requalify for thier own jobs. This is from the Hub Director to the Shift Managers. Who is getting a raise? They have all been told they could be fired! There is a definite house cleaning going on in PHL....and it is about time.

MarkMyWords said:
DMG

Before you spread FUD, perhaps you should know that EVERY manager in the hub has had their job reposted and has to requalify for thier own jobs. This is from the Hub Director to the Shift Managers. Who is getting a raise? They have all been told they could be fired! There is a definite house cleaning going on in PHL....and it is about time.
I do know that every manager is going to be interviewed for their job, and I also know that some managers have already been told by the incoming Station Director that they have nothing to worry about.

Don't count on the house cleaning to be as complete as it needs to be. It's always been tough to get Managers to transfer to PHL, let alone getting enough to fill a lot of vacancies. It doesn't matter how many Managers lose their jobs in other cities because of downsizing, most would never come to PHL. As far as hiring any Managers off the street you can forget it, they never last. I'd be surprised if more than five Managers get replaced.

So, if it's that hard to find new managers, then the salary raises to keep people from leaving are justified. If better managers are out there willing to make less than what the current managers are making, then the salary raises (if true) are not justified.

USFlyer said:
So, if it's that hard to find new managers, then the salary raises to keep people from leaving are justified. If better managers are out there willing to make less than what the current managers are making, then the salary raises (if true) are not justified.
So you're saying that we need to reward Managers, that aren't doing a good job, just so they won't leave? If you can't find better Managers then you keep the ones you have, but don't give them huge raises.

I think you missed my sarcasm. The point is that US needs to pay its managers well enough to attract and retain good ones, not retain bad ones. I know lots of good folks who have mad an exodus from CCY due to the poor salaries US is paying these days. You reach a point where it's not worth it to stay. (I also know people who had job offers from US ... only to laugh when they heard the salary offer.)

USFlyer,

You have got to realize by now that there are many many qualified folks that have talent and have the ability to manage employees and operate a dept that are out on the street and will do the job for alot less. Heck, I'd run a department for $60-70,000 or maybe even less. We have many employees that are union that would move up in the ranks if they could apply and management would hire them. They know this business too.

Every single person is replaceable.

USFlyer,

Sarcasm noted. If the rumor that started this thread is true, however, you have to admit that it's frustrating, or worse. The rank and file (most of whom are good employees) are told they'll have to accept cuts in pay, benefits, and working conditions and if they don't like it then "having a job while looking for a job" is the consolidation prize. But it's perfectly acceptable to give raises to those good employees who have "Manager" in their job description.

The new CEO at DAL said it best - if those folks have to have a monetary incentive to stay, we probably don't need them.

Jim

Ok, PitBull type faster than me....

USFlyer said:
I think you missed my sarcasm. The point is that US needs to pay its managers well enough to attract and retain good ones, not retain bad ones. I know lots of good folks who have mad an exodus from CCY due to the poor salaries US is paying these days. You reach a point where it's not worth it to stay. (I also know people who had job offers from US ... only to laugh when they heard the salary offer.)
Sorry I missed it, I thought you were serious.

It's tough getting anyone half decent with the state of affairs Usairways is in.

The point of me making this thread was to see if anyone else has heard about these raises, not to start a rumor. I don't think my sources are wrong, and while I can't reveal my sources, I can tell you that it's a fact that the rampers in PHL get information very quickly and usually sooner than most managers. Secrets don't remain that way for very long in PHL.

Pitbull,
So are you sayiing it is alright to undercut a management job but not a union job? If I have followed your logic for the last few months, I thought you were upset that management was trying to outsource your job to lower paying organizations.

Just thinking out loud

Different viewpoints, I guess. The environment as it is lends itself to headhunters scooping up your best people for more money. The problem is many of the good folks leaving are leaving after other companies approach them waving $$$, so it's real hard to say no to that given the high level of uncertainty. US has been able and/or unwilling to match these other offers; therefore, people leave. Same thing would happen to the folks PITbull mentions ... not working under a seniority-based system really does change how the game works.

Latest posts