Management reductions? Yeah RIGHT!

Watdahail?

Jul 3, 2008
So...

"Management Reductions" are final. From what I see, many just changed departments. And those who didn't make it, well their positions are now posted on Jetnet. They must be hiring at least 50 positions to replace the "reductions" So much for the reduction and shared sacrifice again....

Heard some are now considering lawsuits due to that they were told they were laid off but now their positions are being filled.

Heard there's a race-based lawsuit as well

Heard over 1,000 in M&R where given notice or shown to the door last week. I am sure that there will be more. Round one is over.

Round two may be after the early outs leave and the contract language is finalized.

Cascade wasn't just a reduction. It was a realignment, so yes, some people wound up in groups which better reflected their capabilities. But make no mistake, there were cuts.

Many of the cuts at HDQ came from people bailing for other jobs. Close to a dozen went to Sabre, and I've seen a few others pop up at places like Alaska, Etihad, TSA, and companies like G2 and Airserve. They weren't immediate replaced -- cutting delayed replacements was probably 5-10% of managements 20% reduction.

The criteria for some cuts may come under fire... Three of the people I know personally were men over 50, two were women over 50. One was four months short of 25 years.

Curious to know what postings are up, though. Is it for the normal high-turnover jobs, where new college grads come in for a year or two before heading off to get their MBA, or are these front line supervisory jobs?

I see Sales has a bunch of postings on AACareers.com -- they did eliminate a bunch of people, but I'm told that was mostly for individuals not meeting sales targets, and not just to reduce head count. That's what management gets to do -- eliminate people who aren't meeting their objectives.

When you're in sales, you have a good 6-12 months notice on what your objectives are, and whether you're meeting them or not, so those shouldn't have been much of a surprise.

I've seen some management volunteer out and left for Spirit. I also know at least a dozen AA AMTs who are working for Spirit as a second job.

Cascade wasn't just a reduction. It was a realignment, so yes, some people wound up in groups which better reflected their capabilities. But make no mistake, there were cuts.

... snip

You and I will always disagree on this issue but - I still contend only 20% of the previous management population would be necessary if empire-building weren't allowed.

Can't speak for the sales end - I know nothing about it and couldn't sell a whore to the Navy, anyway.

The really sad part is that the maintenance world, there was not even a worthy pool to choose from.
Some left, some moved, but we solved nothing in that area of deficit employment.

I believe we will once again, "Not get What our Concessions" are paying for.
How many times do we have to endure the same idea without a positive end resullt?

Reactions: 1 person
Isn't that an ongoing objective? Why wait for BK?

I agree, it should be ongoing. The problem comes with not being able to backfill, and some managers would rather keep someone who performing poorly vs. risk having nobody at all.

It is a dumb way of thinking to me, but when you have a pattern of management layoffs every 12-18 months, and don't allow backfills when you know another RIF is eminent, it fosters an environment where some managers tend to make what they see as the best bad choice when it comes to getting rid of the poor performers. When questioned, it's easy enough to misuse the excuse you're simply building a case for termination.....

Perhaps if the pressure wasn't there to couple management layoffs to union RIF's, maybe you'd see more ongoing cuts over performance.

Many of the cuts at HDQ came from people bailing for other jobs. Close to a dozen went to Sabre, and I've seen a few others pop up at places like Alaska, Etihad, TSA, and companies like G2 and Airserve. They weren't immediate replaced -- cutting delayed replacements was probably 5-10% of managements 20% reduction.

The criteria for some cuts may come under fire... Three of the people I know personally were men over 50, two were women over 50. One was four months short of 25 years.

Curious to know what postings are up, though. Is it for the normal high-turnover jobs, where new college grads come in for a year or two before heading off to get their MBA, or are these front line supervisory jobs?

I see Sales has a bunch of postings on AACareers.com -- they did eliminate a bunch of people, but I'm told that was mostly for individuals not meeting sales targets, and not just to reduce head count. That's what management gets to do -- eliminate people who aren't meeting their objectives.

When you're in sales, you have a good 6-12 months notice on what your objectives are, and whether you're meeting them or not, so those shouldn't have been much of a surprise.
And it's not over yet. Cascade was a re-layering and reduction project. Their will be many more management and support reductions after AFW and TUL starts having work outsourced.

Yes, but that's tied to the operation, not Cascade.

Cascade is supposedly done. There will still be reductions in the normal line of business, in theory at least....

Cascade........sounds so peaceful.....

When the Ream Machine made its stop at TASL, it was stated that the cost savings to overhaul a 777 at an MRO vs AFW is 30%. It would seem to me that after Cascading the place of both management and slug non-management, as well as the cuts in benefits, that it would have been possible to have kept that work in-house.
Again, some of this could have been done pre-bankruptcy by a motivated management team.

But it is interesting that after the cascade there are over fifty positions posted on jetnet

Maybe some of the people who left those positions (the more than 50 current postings) were the desirable management types who left to go make more money at a non-bankrupt employer and now AA has to fill their spot. Plus, there are a lot of postings for sales managers in various cities - and those turn over all the time.

Front line manager jobs-CSM's, Flight Service Mgrs, M&E management,etc. Jobs that are not the college-grad HDQ jobs.

And it's not over yet. Cascade was a re-layering and reduction project. Their will be many more management and support reductions after AFW and TUL starts having work outsourced.

Man, your smart. And you say your just a AMT at DFW. Yeah, right....lmao..!!!