Marooned By US Airways

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Did anybody else see this?

http://www.tripso.com/archives/2006/02/marooned.html

A long layover on US Airways

Q: I recently traveled from Philadelphia to Dublin, Ireland, on US Airways. On the return flight, we had a stopover in Frankfurt, Germany.

We boarded the plane on time and waited to push back and taxi to the runway. For four hours we sat doing nothing, save hearing occasional updates from the pilot.

Finally, the aircraft mechanics discovered the problem — a fault with a valve in one of the engines. They installed a new part and fired up the engines twice to test it. Both tests were successful, but we sat on the runway for two more hours waiting for a fuel truck.

Then US Airways canceled the flight and informed us that it wouldn’t be able to get us to our destination for two more days because it didn’t have enough planes or sufficient crew.

The airline representatives in Frankfurt were courteous and professional, and put us up in a nearby hotel. We were told that we were entitled to 600 euros in compensation for the delay. But when I returned to the United States, all the company would offer was a $200 voucher that had to be used on US Airways. How can this be possible?

— Michael Nelson, Orange, Conn.

A: My initial reaction, like yours, was: It can’t be possible. Surely you’re entitled to more than $200 in airline scrip for a two-day delay overseas.

Then I read the rules.

Under a traditional airline contract of carriage — the legal agreement between you and the airline — you are entitled to everything from phone cards to meal vouchers when your plane breaks down. What’s more, the airline has to put you on the next flight to your destination, even if it’s on a competitor’s airplane.

But US Airways seems to have broken with tradition. Its own terms of transportation are clear about the limits of its liability. “US Airways is not responsible or liable for making connections, or for failing to operate any flight according to schedule, or for changing the schedule of any flight,†it says.

The airline will cover only “limited expenses†during a mechanical delay and “may†attempt to rebook you on the next available flight of another airline “with which US Airways has an agreement allowing the acceptance of each other’s tickets,†say its terms.

The Frankfurt ground crew was right about the 600 euros, but wrong about the circumstances under which a check is cut. That compensation is offered only to customers who have involuntarily been denied boarding on their flight and arrive at their destination more than four hours later than the scheduled arrival time of the original flight.

According to US Airways, its regulations for flights originating in Europe let the carrier off the hook “if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances.†Among the circumstances: “unexpected flight safety shortcomings.â€

“We interpret ‘unexpected safety shortcomings’ to mean mechanical trouble,†said US Airways spokesman Carlo Bertolini.

US Airways offered passengers who complained about the delay a $200 “goodwill voucher†- but no more.

The ground crew who promised you 600 euros erred. But don’t go too hard on them. In a column several weeks ago, I confused Cheapseats.com and Cheaptickets.com. Easy mistake to make — and so was this one.

US Airways is right. But that worries me. I’m concerned that passengers’ rights are being eroded with each revision of an airline’s contract of carriage. I suspect US Airways is hardly alone in rewriting its responsibilities to better suit its bottom line. And I wonder if the day will come when the contract will allow an airline to wiggle out of its obligation to fly us anywhere at all.

Machinery breaks and it's very often no one's fault. There's no reason that any carrier should be blamed and held responsible for cancelling a flight due to safety/mechanical reasons. Back in the heyday of "glamorous" airline travel, when the government guaranteed profits, the money was there to take care of these distressed customers and the airlines did just that.

But the customer has made his/her collective will known: We want CHEAP fares, period.

What the customer fails to see is the consequence of this demand: You get what you pay for and NOTHING else!

Southwest recognized these points 20+ years ago and has successfully operated this way. SWA makes cheap fares available, and when they cancel a flight, the customer gets (and expects from SWA) basically nothing but a "sorry" and a refund or later flight (on SWA only.)

I think it's high time that customers take responsibility for their own actions and choices, and face the fact that when machinery breaks there is no one to blame.

In other words, customers: Wake up and "smell the coffee" that you yourselves have brewed. And finally, GROW UP!

Well Said! I would put mishandled bags in this catagory also! Folks want cheap tickets, this forces labor cut backs. Now fewer people are doing the same amount of work = mishandled bags!
Like the old saying, "Soon someone will make a hamburger so Cheap that nobody is gonna buy it." I think we will need to reach that level to have any improvement in this industry!

Well Said! I would put mishandled bags in this catagory also! Folks want cheap tickets, this forces labor cut backs. Now fewer people are doing the same amount of work = mishandled bags!
Like the old saying, "Soon someone will make a hamburger so Cheap that nobody is gonna buy it." I think we will need to reach that level to have any improvement in this industry!

Thats kind of going to far dont you think? If I buy a KIA because thats what my budget allows, I would not expect the mechanic to forget the oil when I get it changed..

Good point except it was "pizza" and and Gordon Bethune (sp) said it.

Mtnman

Thats kind of going to far dont you think? If I buy a KIA because thats what my budget allows, I would not expect the mechanic to forget the oil when I get it changed..
How can that be going to FAR!! Nobody expects him to forget the oil, but the chances are higher that he will since he is being paid lower wages, and working on more cars without any additional help.... Opps forgot the oil!! How can that be going to far?

While I was typing that I was having flash backs to one of the old 'People's Expree' commericals.

I agree that cutbacks will effect the efficiency of the operation, but I am not sure if I would go as far as NCYBUS and blame the flying public for the situation that U is in....I thought the failure of previous mgmnt "brewed" this mess. What better way to distance yourself from WN, become a LCC and offer outstanding customer service

I agree that cutbacks will effect the efficiency of the operation, but I am not sure if I would go as far as NCYBUS and blame the flying public for the situation that U is in....I thought the failure of previous mgmnt "brewed" this mess. What better way to distance yourself from WN, become a LCC and offer outstanding customer service

I agree that the dimwits of Crystal City accelerated the journey to where we are now. But this really was inevitable. The handwriting was definitely on the wall before 9/11 as the legacy carriers tried vainly to keep yields up against the onslaught of SWA and their competent, barebones service.

Customers want to pay ONLY for the transportation. Prices and yields are now beginning to reflect that decision. With every microgram of fat cut from the operation, there is nothing left to take care of distressed passengers like there was in the years of high yield fares.

In the instance cited at the start of the thread, these passengers got exactly what they would have from SWA. From their own actions they have made it clear that this is what they will pay for.

Unfortunately, consumers in the United States are very dollar nearsighted and don't see the very real consequences of purchasing decisions that they make. The abuses of Wal-MArt are the primary case in point. Sure, they want a bargain jar of Vlasic pickles that Wal-Mart ruthlessly secured for them. What they miss is that their small gain put Vlasic in bankruptcy. They save a few pennies on other products because Wal-Mart doesn't give their employees any medical coverage to speak of. What they miss is that those employees are forced into government hospital emergency rooms for general medical care. Who pays? The taxpayers who think they save at Wal-Mart big-time and end up with tax bills going through the roof to subsidize the health care that Wal-Mart refuses to provide its employees.

And the incident that started this thread is a prime example of the Wal-Martization of the airline industry. It is 100% the result of consumer decisions.

NYC Bus,

The problem in this case is that US is NOT offering the same low fares as Greyhound Air or the others. They are trying to offer the LCC level of service (or lack thereof), while still charging legacy prices. That unto itself is unconscionable.

I almost never get the lower tier of fares--I have only had Q, B, M or above for the last few months, and believe you me, if I was the person stranded in Europe like that, I'd be an especially unhappy camper at those prices.

While your hypothesis is true about the general public (ie. occasional travelers), business travelers usually have a bit more discretion...they won't pay the ridiculous fares, but we often pay considerably more than the non-frequent flyer, and MUCH more often.

We have never advocated CHEAP fares, and I think you know that. We do, however, advocate FAIR fares..one in which the company can make some margin, but not where we are gouged as we have in the past.

The bottom line is that US has to decide what it wants to be when it grows up. If they want to be a true LCC, that's fine, but if they are cutting back on service, employees and amenities, they cannot expect to leave the fares in legacy territory. We are giving them a chance to see that some of the cuts are affecting their bread and butter customers, and some of us are beginning to look elsewhere. If they want to be a true LCC, they MUST offer true LCC prices.

If in fact they want to be a low cost full service airline, they can do so without alienating their best customers, as they have begun to do. They need FAIR and reasonable fares, like HP did and succeeded with. They need not match WN because they do offer more value, especially for high volume business travelers. They cannot however, expect to be 10x as much for an unrestricted ticket as is often still the case today.

All I ask is that you not generalize by blaming ALL customers for the cuts and situation the industry is in. In US case CCY had MORE than a little to do with it. The new US has all the ingredients necessary to be a powerhouse--the best employees in the industry, a great route network, and up until now, the MOST loyal frequent fliers in the business, coupled with a new management which actually appears to WANT to run an airline. We realize that they have to experiment a little to find their way, but if they keep taking and don't give back, there aren't going to be alot of us left this time next year--and the competition is knocking HARD at our doors.....

My best to you all....

... If they want to be a true LCC, that's fine, but if they are cutting back on service, employees and amenities, they cannot expect to leave the fares in legacy territory. ...
Sure they can -- as long as people like you and PineyBob continue to buy sufficient numbers of those fares.

Machinery breaks and it's very often no one's fault. There's no reason that any carrier should be blamed and held responsible for cancelling a flight due to safety/mechanical reasons. Back in the heyday of "glamorous" airline travel, when the government guaranteed profits, the money was there to take care of these distressed customers and the airlines did just that.

But the customer has made his/her collective will known: We want CHEAP fares, period.

What the customer fails to see is the consequence of this demand: You get what you pay for and NOTHING else!

Southwest recognized these points 20+ years ago and has successfully operated this way. SWA makes cheap fares available, and when they cancel a flight, the customer gets (and expects from SWA) basically nothing but a "sorry" and a refund or later flight (on SWA only.)

I think it's high time that customers take responsibility for their own actions and choices, and face the fact that when machinery breaks there is no one to blame.

In other words, customers: Wake up and "smell the coffee" that you yourselves have brewed. And finally, GROW UP!

Trouble is, I would bet that these customers didn't get a "cheap" flight. The least expensive fare I could find on ANY carrier to FRA last month was over $700. Further, the least I've ever paid for trans Atlantic (yes, I buy tickets now and again when I HAVE to be somewhere) was $450 CLT to LGW on British Airways in 2000.

From nycbusdriver
"What the customer fails to see is the consequence of this demand: You get what you pay for and NOTHING else! "

And what they are paying for regardless of the price is a reliable product that gets them from A to B without a problem. Being a LCC does not mean lousy service.

Latest posts