Max arrival's and 300's retirements

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
We've had them there 300's since the 80's. Kinda hate seeing the end of the 300's but it is time to let them go they are just getting too old. The 700 will be the next biggie group that we retire completely. Ran those 300's for approx 34 years, wonder how many years it will be when the last 700 gets retired?
Question: Will SWA ever think or consider the Max 10X? I think they will. The more butts in them there seats the more efficient they become and it may be the only way to increase growth at certain airports like Love Field where we are gate restricted.

Southwest Outlines New 737 MAX 8 Routes, Announces 737-300 Retirement Date

I was on a -300 from CHS to DAL and had an hour MX delay this past Sunday. It's time for them to gracefully exit.

I remember many times desperately calling dispatch to switch out a -200 for a brand new -300 to stop an oversale.

I can't believe that the -700 would be next, but life goes on.

I was on a -300 from CHS to DAL and had an hour MX delay this past Sunday. It's time for them to gracefully exit.

I remember many times desperately calling dispatch to switch out a -200 for a brand new -300 to stop an oversale.

I can't believe that the -700 would be next, but life goes on.
Couldn't agree more. Sorry for the mx delay. They will all be gone by Sept.

This will be the last month we fly the 300's. All 300's will be gone by Sep. 29th. Great to see the Max's coming into the fleet. As we receive -8's and Max's our fleet size should be back to size early next year. Sure was nice to see the new Max in the hangars, they look great and of course have that "new plane" smell, now, let's keep them looking great...

Saying Goodbye to a Classic: The Last Flight of Southwest's Boeing 737-300s Is Near

I can't imagine why WN would not acquire the MAX-10 at some point. As was mentioned above, Love Field operations would benefit greatly from more seats on most flights. Also, I think the International operations at HOU and FLL will benefit from a larger airplane. That being said, I remember the article I read about the MAX-8,9, and 10 stated the planned passenger capacity for the the 10 as 225. However, the MAX10 will be 18 feet longer than the current 737s! Won't that require a longer runway for the beast? Something else LF doesn't have besides enough gates is anywhere to expand runway facilities.

Maybe a bridge system extending over Bachman Lake? LOL. Nowhere to go on the South end. Not sure if the extension would be required, but your right that the MAX10 would greatly benefit all areas you mentioned as well as many others. The 8's and Max's will help with that a little, but only increase the seats from 137 and 143 to 175, only 38 and 32 seat increases. With the MAX10 it would increase seats by 88 and 82 which would more than double the increases made by the 8's and Max's. I could not agree with you more Jim. I say move into the MAX 10 for that reason. SWA has mentioned in the past that we will have to start looking at another model other than the 737 eventually, just not sure if the time will be now, but it does seem to make sense to do it.

SWA has mentioned in the past that we will have to start looking at another model other than the 737 eventually, just not sure if the time will be now, but it does seem to make sense to do it.
Another model? With the MAX10 having a capacity greater than the current 737s and the A321, is there some airplane in the works/planning stage to replace the 73? Though it is a LARGE single aisle aircraft, the MAX10 is still a 737. The 757s addressed a lot of the 737 "problems," but Boeing never sold enough of them to make them profitable and the 757 is not really that much bigger (in most configurations) than the 737-Maxes.

(Or, did you just mean replace the "current" versions of the 737?)

Last edited:
I probably should have said a larger model as well as other models. Just looking for more number of seats to put butts in.

We've had them there 300's since the 80's. Kinda hate seeing the end of the 300's but it is time to let them go they are just getting too old. The 700 will be the next biggie group that we retire completely. Ran those 300's for approx 34 years, wonder how many years it will be when the last 700 gets retired?
Question: Will SWA ever think or consider the Max 10X? I think they will. The more butts in them there seats the more efficient they become and it may be the only way to increase growth at certain airports like Love Field where we are gate restricted.

Southwest Outlines New 737 MAX 8 Routes, Announces 737-300 Retirement Date

I'll miss the Classics. I lived all of this growth and it is quite the story.
Great memories. I'm looking forward to the MAX!!
grin.png

SW Classic.png

Last edited:
With the business WN does at most of its "hubs", I don't know why you didn't just go for the MAX10--IIRC it's supposed to be configured with 225 seats! That would be a godsend for those Hawaii routes once they start, and would reduce the number of a/c taking off and landing at LAX. (It will increase the number of passengers boarded at Love Field, but probably won't decrease the number of landings and take-offs. There doesn't seem to be anything that reduces the WN Love Field operations. Maybe if you went to the 777-300 or the AB380, but that's just a maybe. :rolleyes: )

Last edited: