Maybe it's time for an Envoy club in CLT?

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
How many TA flights did US operate from PHL when the Envoy club opened? Was that about 1997-1998, right? If they had even 4 at the time, I'd be surprised. The 767's were the only widebody aircraft on site, and some of those ran from PIT and CLT to TA destinations, not to mention the PHL-LAX leg (I went out of my way to be sure to book that evening flight to LAX when I had to go!)

So my point is...CLT is certainly turning it up a notch with international service from US with a whole 4 flights/day by the time Oct rolls around. The LH Munich premium and *G passengers would also stand to benefit, so that's actually 5 intl. flights. They currently use the club now and get drink chits. But that's not a true business class lounge.

If more South America routes are in the works, are there plans to add an Envoy club to the D concourse? Or, perhaps renovate the C club to house a separate Envoy section. That's a pretty huge club, to begin with.

How many TA flights did US operate from PHL when the Envoy club opened? Was that about 1997-1998, right? If they had even 4 at the time, I'd be surprised. The 767's were the only widebody aircraft on site, and some of those ran from PIT and CLT to TA destinations, not to mention the PHL-LAX leg (I went out of my way to be sure to book that evening flight to LAX when I had to go!)

So my point is...CLT is certainly turning it up a notch with international service from US with a whole 4 flights/day by the time Oct rolls around. The LH Munich premium and *G passengers would also stand to benefit, so that's actually 5 intl. flights. They currently use the club now and get drink chits. But that's not a true business class lounge.

If more South America routes are in the works, are there plans to add an Envoy club to the D concourse? Or, perhaps renovate the C club to house a separate Envoy section. That's a pretty huge club, to begin with.

I was just actually thinking about this subject today. Glad to see great minds think alike.

I know the C/D Club is fairly large and I don't know if the smoking room is still there, but I heard they were planning to close it down. I've tried going in once to see how big the smoking room is, but I just couldn't make it. The smoke was just so thick I turned back around. Is the room large enough to "host" the Envoy lounge portion of the Club?

Another thought? Turn the B Club into the Envoy lounge. I know it's further away from the international gates, but the club is large enough to be a stand alone Envoy lounge during the evenings.

We could be seeing more South American destinations one day, so CLT is the right spot for the next Envoy Lounge. Then again, the airport is expanding, so we could see an altogether new lounge built once the new terminal is done.

I am confused about one thing regarding the PHL Envoy lounge:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/trave...ations.aspx#Phi says: "*For Envoy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City, or San Jose (Costa Rica) only."

How can someone access the Envoy lounge when flying to SJO if the Envoy lounge is only open during the evenings? Furthermore, MEX and GDL aren't even served from PHL nonstop (for that matter, SJO isn't either on a year round basis). Unless you're coming in the night before and overnighting in PHL and thus arguing the final destination theory, there is no way to access the Envoy lounge when flying to those three cities!

-Kinglobjaw

I don't think the solution is the B Club or the smoking room in the C Club...

It is time to reclaim the former D club; what a shame that became the Mesa crew room. That is the true Envoy club...

I don't think the solution is the B Club or the smoking room in the C Club...

It is time to reclaim the former D club; what a shame that became the Mesa crew room. That is the true Envoy club...

I heard they were gonna move the mesa crew room down to E-Con sometime soon.

If plans go through with the new International terminal, a new Envoy lounge would be held out for there IF one at all.

Wrong! It IS the Mesa crew room! We are not that exposed!

The old D Concourse Club is a crewroom for PSA. Mesa is next to gate D1. PSA is moving down to the E Concourse when Piedmont Admin moves to the second floor of the E Con Expansion. The D Club will then become the new breakroom area and managers offices for the gate staff on D Concourse. Or so they say.

The old D Concourse Club is a crewroom for PSA. Mesa is next to gate D1. PSA is moving down to the E Concourse when Piedmont Admin moves to the second floor of the E Con Expansion. The D Club will then become the new breakroom area and managers offices for the gate staff on D Concourse. Or so they say.

That's what I'm trying to say.

A lot of airport real-estate has gone to express only to leave mainline still paying the bill

I'm sad... D club made a great crew room for PSA/US Air subsidary... NOT mesa! Before I left PSA for mainline US alot of mainline crews used it too, it was fixed up and cleaned and opened as our crew room in the summer of 2005.