Maybe They Should

DFWCC

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
DFW
Visit site
:huh: Maybe they should rethink some hub operations? It has often been stated that higher utilization of aircraft ie. more air time equates to higher profits. What if AA would cut freight and mail from their regular sched service. I know it is stated they're making money with fr and ml, but if they brought a plane to the gate dumped all the bags into the bagrooms for distribution for their next flights and the ground crews wouldn't have to run tail to tail xfer bags. As soon as the plane was unloaded the outbound bags would be there for the outbound load. The line crew manpower saved shipside (that is 2 online tail to tail xfer drs from the gate crew) would have to be put into the bag room to handle the additional bag load.
Net effect quicker turn times, more air time, more profits to make up for loss of fr and ml.
Any further thoughts ... open for discussion

;) May, or may not be practical! But at least the man is thinking! And we do need "Original" ideas! Good Show DFWCC, keep it up!!! :p

I sat at the Tulsa Terminal waiting for a flight [non-rev] and I observed the gate turn times of AA and LUV who is also visible from the Terminal.It takes AA 40-45 minutes to turn a MD80 at the gate.LUV can turn their B-737's in 25 minutes.This time difference when compounded througout the day allows each A/C in their fleet to fly 1 extra leg each day over AA A/C.Multiply this times the # of A/C and you have much greater effective utilization of A/C.
I know that LUV does not issue assigned seating as does AA and this helps with the boarding times.I observe the amount of time wasted boarding and de-boarding due to carry-on baggage.Maybe in today's airline market AA should abolish carry on baggage and assigned seating.AA management cannot keep on doing things the same old failed way and expect AA to recover.

goingboeing said:
AA management cannot keep on doing things the same old failed way and expect AA to recover.
Well, no, but they can keep on doing things the same old failed way. There is a mindset in the management circles of a lot of big corporations in the U.S. that says, "If my ideas didn't work this time, you (the worker) just have to try harder." And, no, failure of a management idea does not entice management to accept ideas from the people who actually do the work. 'Tis anathema, and will lead to evil things, like change and innovation.

DFWCC said:
:huh: Maybe they should rethink some hub operations? It has often been stated that higher utilization of aircraft ie. more air time equates to higher profits. What if AA would cut freight and mail from their regular sched service. I know it is stated they're making money with fr and ml, but if they brought a plane to the gate dumped all the bags into the bagrooms for distribution for their next flights and the ground crews wouldn't have to run tail to tail xfer bags. As soon as the plane was unloaded the outbound bags would be there for the outbound load. The line crew manpower saved shipside (that is 2 online tail to tail xfer drs from the gate crew) would have to be put into the bag room to handle the additional bag load.
Net effect quicker turn times, more air time, more profits to make up for loss of fr and ml.
Any further thoughts ... open for discussion
DFWCC,
Something along the lines of you good suggestion(IMHO) will/must happen, and happen soon, if AA is to be the first of the Big 5 Global airlines to figure out how to compete with the LCC's domestically. (Obviously, International is another story)

NH/BB's

It is all so true. In the last year I formulated 2 ideas. Each of which was when I worked in different areas. I had drawn up plans on paper, diagrams, cost analysis etc. Told about current situation and problem. Offered solution and varibles of how this would have a positive effect on baggage delivery. I then ran it by 3 CC and about 10 FSC and the 3 CSMs in that area. They all concurred withmy idea, I then ran it by the Terminal mgr. Ok we'll have a look at it. After a while I ran into the Managing Director and I showed it to him to see if could get this going.
Well I guess the idea didn't come from mgnt. Some bean counter at hdq thought a $12k to $30k cost was too much. He wanted an ROI (return on investment) analysis. He** I'm not a CPA and thats their job to figure out. So we'll continue to miss bags and PO customers.
Now there may be some reason other thae an ROI why they decided not to go with this idea, I don't know. Here comes another problem why did someone not get back to me with a reasonable answer so I could respond to others when questioned. Remember all these others who thought it was a great idea.
In a final analysis "we beleived it would work" and they shot it down with no explaination. WHY??? Hence the ol "they don't care why should I" attitude starts to surface. I wonder if mgnt ever heard of communications and working with rather than against their employees. And that was only one idea....