Mayhem At Phl?

Jonnyd

Advanced
Jul 12, 2004
Anyone happen to be over at B-con or C-con at PHL tonight (10/21)? I'm hearing it was fairly crazy over there. Some planes waited almost an hour once they landed for their gate. I heard from a co-worker that there was an annoucement at baggage claim that went something like this: "Attention Las Vegas passengers who came in on Flt. xxx, we will have a crew at the gate you arrived in about 30 minutes to unload your bags......." I'm sure those people were fairly pissed. The weather was rainy and muggy but no major thunderstorms.

"The weather was rainy and muggy"

That's generally enough to bog down the ATC side of the PHL operation (getting on the ground and to a gate or getting from the gate to airborne). The ramp ops are a different story.

Jim

More to the point, PHL had a east opperation all day today. That slows down departures by a factor of at least 100%. Then add the knuckleheads that work the federal tower there. They are the worst, by far. And don't give a damm. Horrible? That doesn't go far enough.

Everybody's short handed; even when the weather is good. At least somebody gave the passengers an announcement. Some wouldn't even have done that. Hmmm....I wonder if the handles were turned around backwards in the bin? WELL, I had to ask! :p

That's what you get when you put all of your eggs in one basket. Serves someone right for dropping PIT's hub status.

On a bad day, PIT does much better than PHL on a good day.

Nothing new here... Its always that way. I here they have begun firing on the spot of people slowing down !

On my trip last night we landed at 1824 and couldn't get to the gate until 1904. It was traffic on the ground that held us up. There was actual grid lock, where the two planes in front of us couldn't go anywhere and they were blocking our access to the B gates. Sounds like the tower has a problem, not necessarily U staff!

usfliboi said:
Nothing new here... Its always that way. I here they have begun firing on the spot of people slowing down !
[post="193699"][/post]​

Maybe that's why Piedmont is so interested in offering jobs to furloughed PIT employees. PHL is desperate for decent workers. Too bad no one is dumb enough to fall for that, at least no one I know.

If anyone doubts why Siegel was so hated in PIT, all you have to look toward is how he handled negotiations with the ACAA. He could have reached a compromise and saved the system a lot of headaches. Instead, he thought he could muscle people who are much brighter than he is, and he failed miserably. He continues his failure now at Gate Gourmet. Prediction: The Good-Old-Boy Executive Network tolerates only occasional failure. Constant failure equals a one-way trip to retail Purgatory. I think Dave will really prosper at either Dollar Tree, Dollar General or Family Dollar. Final Prediction: Dave is out of Gate Gourmet by August, 2005.

The last paragraph was a bit OT, but it illustrates how symptomatic the PIT failure is to the rest of the company, at least in my opinion.

PSA1979 said:
On my trip last night we landed at 1824 and couldn't get to the gate until 1704. It was traffic on the ground that held us up. There was actual grid lock, where the two planes in front of us couldn't go anywhereand they were blocking our access to the B gates. Sounds like the tower has a problem, not necessarily U staff!
[post="193704"][/post]​

Possibly, but to park planes you need free gates, and to have free gates you need to move empty planes. No staff=no empty planes. So you sit and you sit on whatever free taxiway is available until ramp control can move you. And PHL doesn't have all that much free space from what I've seen.

PSA1979 said:
On my trip last night we landed at 1824 and couldn't get to the gate until 1704. It was traffic on the ground that held us up. There was actual grid lock, where the two planes in front of us couldn't go anywhereand they were blocking our access to the B gates. Sounds like the tower has a problem, not necessarily U staff!
[post="193704"][/post]​

Either you have successfully mastered time travel or you waited over 22 hours for your gate. The first is very good news - the second option is very bad news. :p

Waiting until 1904 or 2004 is also very bad news. US is going to rue the day that PIT was abandoned as a hub.

FWAAA said:
Either you have successfully mastered time travel or you waited over 22 hours for your gate. The first is very good news - the second option is very bad news. :p

Waiting until 1904 or 2004 is also very bad news. US is going to rue the day that PIT was abandoned as a hub.
[post="193723"][/post]​

My Bad! I went back and edited, I guess I haven't had enough coffee today!

We didn't really experience any problems on the MDA side of things. Some of our flights were a little late coming in, which further delayed one or two others because they were waiting for crews to come off those planes. Only real problems we experienced was control changing gates 2 or 3 times, and not updating it in the system or bothering to tell anyone about it!

PSA1979 said:
My Bad! I went back and edited, I guess I haven't had enough coffee today!
[post="193726"][/post]​
In Phl last weekend over 3000 bags were missed.This week,they have all of the station managers there to correct the problems,good luck!The answewr is simple,you need more help! It is a disgrace that the people being furloughed in PIT cannot transfer to PHL.

hack73 said:
This week,they have all of the station managers there to correct the problems,good luck!
[post="193734"][/post]​

What happened to the new Management team they put in place about 6 months ago that was going to clean up PHL?.....LOL.

Nothing will ever change in PHL until they are given the proper staffing and equipment.

Latest posts