Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Step back in time!

LTP: MCI Base Reduction in Force

April 6, 2005

Kansas City Maintenance Base RIF
Leader Talking Points

> Regrettably, we are proceeding at MCI with the previously announced June RIFs as planned (announced in November 2004) because adverse industry conditions persist, deteriorating our yields and resulting in significant fleet plan changes. Increased competition in the maintenance, repair and overhaul business also continues to challenge us.

> Between 500-600 management and front-line employees are expected to be affected.

> The numbers will fluctuate due to:

Stand-in-stead program.
Retirements.
Finalizing plans in some departments (Inventory Control, Purchasing, etc.).
>AA's current plans are for MCI to be a strong component of M&E's future, as indicated by the 25-year lease we recently signed with the City and the approximately 900 jobs that will remain here and we're working hard to increase.

> Working together with the TWU and the City, our joint marketing teams have done and will continue to do everything possible to secure third party work in order to reduce the need for and number of RIFs and eventually create opportunities for recalls -- a goal we all share.

25 potential customers in the pipeline (leasing companies, airlines, commercial and military contracts).
Marketing by advertising in MRO magazines worldwide and participating in MRO conferences.
Third-party maintenance for Capital Cargo.
The Capital Pylon Mod project's "Specialty 767 Pylon Mod Package" to sell our services.
Reno Air lease return C-check completed at MCI, saving more than $400,000.
Third-party work in our standards lab.
While progress is being made, it regrettably is not yet enough to offset the need for RIFs
The June 2005 dock plan utilizes our Super Bay and support shops only.
> Adverse industry conditions (high fuel costs, low yields, effects of legacy carriers in bankruptcy and LCCs) have resulted in significant fleet plan changes that critically impact MCI's work load.

Original plan to reactivate 28 parked MD80s by the end of 2005 was changed.
Working collaboratively with the TWU last fall, we were able to defer approximately half of the planned RIFs from last December to this June.
> This reduction is due to competitive and economic pressures, and does not in any way reflect the quality of our work. We have the best people in the industry.

> Transitional programs to support affected colleagues will be activated and more information about them will be provided in separate communications soon.

> AA wants to keep as much of its maintenance work in-house as possible and we believe the market for third-party work will continue to grow, so we need to stay focused on the work we're doing and positive about the opportunities we are pursuing.

> Our confidence, consistency and commitment today and tomorrow are critical to our future success and to our ability to be able to recall those affected.

> If we continue to increase our efficiency and productivity, along with our high quality, we are convinced opportunities remain for MCI.

Step back in time!
LTP: MCI Base Reduction in Force

April 6, 2005

Kansas City Maintenance Base RIF
Leader Talking Points

> Regrettably, we are proceeding at MCI with the previously announced June RIFs as planned (announced in November 2004) because adverse industry conditions persist, deteriorating our yields and resulting in significant fleet plan changes. Increased competition in the maintenance, repair and overhaul business also continues to challenge us.

> Between 500-600 management and front-line employees are expected to be affected.

> The numbers will fluctuate due to:

Stand-in-stead program.
Retirements.
Finalizing plans in some departments (Inventory Control, Purchasing, etc.).
>AA's current plans are for MCI to be a strong component of M&E's future, as indicated by the 25-year lease we recently signed with the City and the approximately 900 jobs that will remain here and we're working hard to increase.

> Working together with the TWU and the City, our joint marketing teams have done and will continue to do everything possible to secure third party work in order to reduce the need for and number of RIFs and eventually create opportunities for recalls -- a goal we all share.

25 potential customers in the pipeline (leasing companies, airlines, commercial and military contracts).
Marketing by advertising in MRO magazines worldwide and participating in MRO conferences.
Third-party maintenance for Capital Cargo.
The Capital Pylon Mod project's "Specialty 767 Pylon Mod Package" to sell our services.
Reno Air lease return C-check completed at MCI, saving more than $400,000.
Third-party work in our standards lab.
While progress is being made, it regrettably is not yet enough to offset the need for RIFs
The June 2005 dock plan utilizes our Super Bay and support shops only.
> Adverse industry conditions (high fuel costs, low yields, effects of legacy carriers in bankruptcy and LCCs) have resulted in significant fleet plan changes that critically impact MCI's work load.

Original plan to reactivate 28 parked MD80s by the end of 2005 was changed.
Working collaboratively with the TWU last fall, we were able to defer approximately half of the planned RIFs from last December to this June.
> This reduction is due to competitive and economic pressures, and does not in any way reflect the quality of our work. We have the best people in the industry.

> Transitional programs to support affected colleagues will be activated and more information about them will be provided in separate communications soon.

> AA wants to keep as much of its maintenance work in-house as possible and we believe the market for third-party work will continue to grow, so we need to stay focused on the work we're doing and positive about the opportunities we are pursuing.

> Our confidence, consistency and commitment today and tomorrow are critical to our future success and to our ability to be able to recall those affected.

> If we continue to increase our efficiency and productivity, along with our high quality, we are convinced opportunities remain for MCI.
;) -----So what's your point?

<_<----- More wiseful thinking hopeless? :down: Personally I wouldn't wise anyone to lose his job! Maybe that's the differance between us friend? :down:
No but it is ironic how one year later we are again looking at 600 more cuts, this time on the line, and almost the exact number of 80's again get sat down. Who knows what next April will bring.

No but it is ironic how one year later we are again looking at 600 more cuts, this time on the line, and almost the exact number of 80's again get sat down. Who knows what next April will bring.
<_< No-----It's ironic how quick someone like Hopeless points his finger at us redheaded step children the minute aa starts talking about a RIF!!! :angry2:

<_< No-----It's ironic how quick someone like Hopeless points his finger at us redheaded step children the minute aa starts talking about a RIF!!! :angry2:
This is the deal, whether you choose to believe it or not: Ever since the acquisition of TWA, there has been nothing but problems at AA. True, the animosity has primarily been generated from the AA side, but everyone is sick and tired of hearing how the TWA people got screwed. They definitely were a more cohesive bunch, unlike the snakes and backstabbers here you had the misfortune to be joined with. The economy was slipping prior to 9-11. This is a fact. However, TWA's contribution to the demise of the carrier should be duly noted. The people at TWA were, for the most part, a class bunch. Unfortunately, Carl Icahn had already picked apart most of the meat off the carcass and AA was left holding an empty bag. By the time the carrier gets back on its feet, most of the TWA staff will already have been retired.

This is the deal, whether you choose to believe it or not: Ever since the acquisition of TWA, there has been nothing but problems at AA. True, the animosity has primarily been generated from the AA side, but everyone is sick and tired of hearing how the TWA people got screwed. They definitely were a more cohesive bunch, unlike the snakes and backstabbers here you had the misfortune to be joined with. The economy was slipping prior to 9-11. This is a fact. However, TWA's contribution to the demise of the carrier should be duly noted. The people at TWA were, for the most part, a class bunch. Unfortunately, Carl Icahn had already picked apart most of the meat off the carcass and AA was left holding an empty bag. By the time the carrier gets back on its feet, most of the TWA staff will already have been retired.
<_< "Man of the people!"---- Boy! That's quit a handle! A little pompous, but-----! Yes I agree! Ever since the acquisition of TWA there has been nothing but problems! First, may I point out that this "acquisition" was not of our doing! Us "little" guys, both aa, and TWA had no say in it! And the problems that were generated by it should have been thought out prior to that deed! What exactly did you, and your fellow employees expect? That we would roll over and take whatever screwing that was to come without so much as a whimper? Sorry, didn't happen! I made a simple observation! That was Hopefull was quick to point a finger at what is left of the exTWAer's! We have taken the brunt of the lay-offs here at aa since we were aquired, but now that it's your turn, you squall like a pig! If all this disturbs you, I'm sorry, but that's your problem, not mine!!!! :shock:

==========================================================

MCI,
You're probably not going to like what I'm about to say, BUT I've NEVER lied to you, so take it for what it's worth.

There is NOTHING wrong with being a DEDICATED workforce(like MCI/STL)

In a round about way, I "think" what my friend Hopeful may be saying , in part, is that AA has been, and continues to "use you folks"

AA/TWU(SAME ####) is famous for pitting one group of people against another.
The SAD part for you guys, is that if you don't produce, then AA shuts down MCI, and then, even with 25% you could,nt bump, if you wanted to.

If my explanation was NOT what Hopeful meant, then my statement then becomes "Mine" !!

NH/BB's

==========================================================

MCI,
You're probably not going to like what I'm about to say, BUT I've NEVER lied to you, so take it for what it's worth.

There is NOTHING wrong with being a DEDICATED workforce(like MCI/STL)

In a round about way, I "think" what my friend Hopeful may be saying , in part, is that AA has been, and continues to "use you folks"

AA/TWU(SAME ####) is famous for pitting one group of people against another.
The SAD part for you guys, is that if you don't produce, then AA shuts down MCI, and then, even with 25% you could,nt bump, if you wanted to.

If my explanation was NOT what Hopeful meant, then my statement then becomes "Mine" !!

NH/BB's
<_< Bear---- No offense taken! I appreciate an honest opinion! But you don't get it! MCI is a base of old men!!Everyone else already has been layed off! The majority of us are just putting in our time tell retirement! I'd say ninety percent plus, will be gone within the next three to five years! A large percentage could go now, but prefer to work "just a couple more!" because of Carl Ichon! As for closing this place down. We all know if they wanted to close,it would have already been closed! Are they using us? Sure they are! But Lets no kid our selfs ether. The bottom line is these old men are making them money! After all that is supposed to be what's it's all about! Sometime I feel some of the rest of my follow employees have forgotten that! Doe's that mean we should kiss their tail feathers every time they try and screw us? HELL NO! We, (exTWA) have been through things your just facing, we've withstood job related stress of a higher degree, for a hell of a lot longer period of time! So excess me when I blow my stack and say---- BUG OFF!!!!

Now, now boys! No fighting over me!

The reason I posted this year old news item was to remind people that this company is not done screwing us. There is now a recent news article mentioning possible 600 more mechanics.
600 at MCI a year ago. Now another 600.

We took in the shorts with the concessions and they are no where finshed sacrificing our share!

Does anyone else see the timing of the PLI dog and pony show with the pending layoffs and base station closings?

<_< "Man of the people!"---- Boy! That's quit a handle! A little pompous, but-----! Yes I agree! Ever since the acquisition of TWA there has been nothing but problems! First, may I point out that this "acquisition" was not of our doing! Us "little" guys, both aa, and TWA had no say in it! And the problems that were generated by it should have been thought out prior to that deed! What exactly did you, and your fellow employees expect? That we would roll over and take whatever screwing that was to come without so much as a whimper? Sorry, didn't happen! I made a simple observation! That was Hopefull was quick to point a finger at what is left of the exTWAer's! We have taken the brunt of the lay-offs here at aa since we were aquired, but now that it's your turn, you squall like a pig! If all this disturbs you, I'm sorry, but that's your problem, not mine!!!! :shock:

The ones to put the blame on are Compton and Carty. Where are they now? Gone with millions from their golden parachutes.
What's done is done!!

410OhOne....hmmmmm That's my handle, don't wear it out!

4/10/01

2001/04/10

10 April 2001

April 10, 2001

Anyway you slice it, it still adds up to 5 years (adjusted) seniority.

5 years and still on the street. What can the marketing staffs at these Tech schools and universities possibly be saying to kids to get them to enroll in A&P programs today.

What happened to Plane and Pilot, Flying, and all the other rags saying massive shortage, massive opportunities?

Should have got me one of those fancy MBA's huh?

Well, sorry didnt quite know where to post this, but I guess it is AA related.

Just wanted to celebrate my anniversary with everyone!