Me Too And You Too

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
Gents and Ladies,

I think it is entirely possible yet likely that our pilots will give up a third time. By doing so it could preserve the airline, at least for more time.

On the surface it appears fair that if there are more concessions that all employees should give more instead of just one group. This sounds reasonable doesn't it? But it simply is not the case.

Why should a fleet service person give another penny while at the same time your company agrees to keep the Pilots 'Big Fat perks' in their contract? It would be entirely profane for fleet service to give a penny while at the same time Pilots are allowed to keep these expensive 'perks'. Folks I'm talking about perks into the 'millions'.

I would appeal to all not to be fooled into thinking that the Pilots are somehow 'poor' [as some on this board would have you believe] and that just because ALPA/company wants a 'you too' clause, ie, a clause that says it's givebacks are conditioned on all other groups giving back, that you have to giveback once again.

However, if they want a 'you too' then there can be no justice found without a 'me too. Fleet service fought for a 'me too' in its contract but the company refused to insert one. A 'you-too' without a prior 'me too' is always inequitable. Since Fleet service doesn't have the perks, it would be 'subsidizing' the continued pilot perks.

To sum up, I'm not suggesting that ALPA give a thing, but if it does then justice will be a little closer when compared to other employee groups.

Regards,

Regards,

Tim,

I am very disappointed in your post, you sound like how the company wants to divide and conquer and pit each group against each other instead of the common enemy of dave and his management team.

I am very shocked and surprised that a interim directer of the agw, would take a very anti-trade unionist position. Trade unionism is about supporting all labor, not just one group.

I agree with you on one thing and you should take your own advice, no other union should force another union into accepting concessions or making their concessions contingent on any other union accepting concessions.

If you are a real trade unionist, since this is your third attempt at starting your own union, you would have never started this thread.

I have a friend of mine who is 55 years old and is a A330 Captain and has 35 years with the company, go ask him about the two million dollars he lost in his pension, he only has five years left to work to try and make up for his loss, so tell me what perk he still has?

And a real trade unionist would be happy for what a union can get thier members if it is beneficial. Don't fall into the trap that your job should be saved off the backs of others, because if you are the interim director of the agw, you would not be posting what you did.

Don't play into dave's hands!

I'd love to hear this one! Could you please be more specific as to what "Million Dollar Perks" pilot's enjoy? If US has such a thing, then I'm definitely working for the wrong airline, and will start fighting for a UCT where US buys UA!

A Pilot friend of mine, who sits on a certain committee, just returned back from CCY a few days BEFORE the Webcast. Now I don't know what all he has been privy too, but he told me a couple of things. If the labor force does not agree to 25% cuts Dave will shut us down and then every one will be knocking on the door the next day ready and willing to take a 50% cut. Furthermore, he looked me in the eye and said. "Dave Knows this".!!!

Another thing I was told by him is How much do I want to keep my job??? If I do, then I had better be ready to pack up things to relocate out of PIT.

And I should remember the name Hans Mullen. (I think that is the last name). And I posed this question another time. Who is this Hans guy???? Anyone know?

Bob,

U will never offer an early retirment. Its too costly for them and what ever costs savings they derive from labor, they will put it either somewhere else or in their own pockets.

The f/as are being progressed quickly on a discipline program for any little infraction and they are being terminated. As they are being terminated, they are are filing claims with the EEOC and ADA and have guidance through a law firm.

The the best we can do in these types of scenarios and terminations of the older population of workers who happend to become chronically ill.

Tim,
What's your position at U? There isn't a pilot or mechanic out there that got their job by reading the classifieds in a newspaper. Pilots and mechanics have years and thousands of hours experience before coming to a major airline. What prior experience does one need for unskilled labor positions?

Tim,
I too would love to here SPECIFICALLY which perks you are refering to. I know there is always room in a labor agreement to increase efficiency, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the heck you are talking about.

On a second note, I have to agree with your sentiments regarding the, as you put it, "you too" provisions of any proposed agreements. I believe each employee group should cough up what they and the company are able to agree on idependant of what some other group gave. Further, I think that the only group that has little to give when you get right down to it are the agents. These folks have given through the nose for over a decade and were hardest hit in the last round of restructuring if you look at it on a percentage basis.

Hey, while I'm here, can someone in maintenance please tell me why a mechanic in PHL working on an aircraft at the gate would have to go get his own parts from the maintenance hanger on the other end of the airport? Why aren't some of the most commonly used parts kept up at the concourse? Why don't we have someone who can run parts down to the terminal (or would this require...multi-tasking God forbid)? I'm just curious. We took one of those delays in PHL the other day that make you want to pull your hair out. We lost about 25 passengers during that process.

Thanks

A320 Driver

A320,

I can't speak for PHL, but I can speak for CLT, CLT line has a stock room, its allocation is determined by Material Service, Maintenance and Stores management, the most used parts are usually allocated their, and if they are a class control part and not a rotable they are usually in free stock areas in each maintenance center.

If the part is not stocked or NIS at the line, a stores runner from CLT distribution will get an part AOG and bring it right to the plane and gate.

Seems like the PHL problem is a management not having the same set up in place there.

Thanks for the info 700. Wonder if there might be any savings making our procedures for this more standard? BTW, the part was an ELAC. I guess that's not one of the big ticket items we keep at the concourse.

Thanks again,

A320 Driver

In regards to the "million dollar perks", I think I know what Tim is talking about. Being one of the pilots who has been sticking my hand in the cookie jar, I feel its time to bring this issue to the publics' attention. If you add it up for all of us pilots, I'm sure the numbers do reach into the millions.

It all started back in 2001 and along with all the work rule changes/concessions. I, along with the majority of my coworkers, started relying on company bought pretzels for nourishment. We have also been known to indulge in the consumption of company water and various Coca-Cola products stocked on our aircraft. Having sufferred a 20% paycut, figured by comparing my W-2s, I had to decide if food and water are really neccesities of life, or if paying my rent and student loans was more important. Well, I tried and after losing 20 lbs, that I really didn't need to lose, I unfortunately turned to the pretzels. I feel so ashamed. There really is no pride left in my life and I really hope I'm able to vote yes for more concessions before I lose my job here at US Airways.

Hopefully, US Air will choose to stop catering any and all items on their aircraft to help reduce the temptation of our flight crews. The money that could be saved by not losing the valuable pretzel stockage to US Air's own employees could not only turn this airline around, but also help stop this "million dollar perk" we all enjoy so much.

Piney:
Thank you for your opinions, you show more common sense than most on this board and even though I agree that is better to look for a job while you have a job I feel that Dave is being arrogant by exploiting this fact considering our ages.

Dear Tim
Do me a favor...Take one for the hands and hold it out in front of yourself.
Step two..fold your index finger to your plam.
Step three...fold your last two fingers on the same hand to your plam.
Get the point!!!!!!!

Swabby,

Your trying to make a point to someone who has the deductive reasoning of a tick.

Lets hope that he has little to do with the day to day stuff.

Who cares to his thoughts. He matters not.

Oh I don't know about that that. Ticks have very good deductive powers. If you are out walking in the grass a tick can deduce here comes a great warm meal very fast. They will hop on and attach like a chigger. No different than a pilot up in the cockpit smelling a first class meal being cooked. He'll be outa that seat sniffing the galley in a moments notice. So how is a pilot better at deduction than a tick? And if you really investigate the lowly tick might have a leg up on the pilot. I don't mean to tick anybody offf...