Mec Code-a-phone Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - September 3, 2004

This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Friday, September 3rd, with three new items.

Item 1. The Negotiating Committee worked internally late last night preparing a proposal that will be ready to give to the Company this afternoon. This proposal will be available soon on the pilots only home page under “Negotiating Committee Information.â€￾

The MEC is currently recessed to the call of the MEC Chairman. There is not yet a definitive time set on when the MEC will reconvene its meeting at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, VA, but as soon as meeting details are available, they will be immediately announced on the code a phone and pilots only web site.

As this next meeting could very well be the discussion of a Tentative Agreement or a final proposal, all pilots are urged to attend. If that indeed occurs, the MEC will then make the determination if this final proposal/agreement would be sent to the membership for ratification.

Please note that this hotel does not provide transportation from the airport and that portions of the reconvened meeting may be in closed session.

Item 2. As an important reminder to all active pilots, please note that if you are currently in bad standing, or pending bad standing, you will be unable to cast a vote if a Tentative Agreement is reached and then sent to the pilot group for ratification. You must contact Stephanie Forbes in Membership Services by 5:30 EST today at 888-FLY-ALPA ext. 4163 to resolve your situation.

Item 3. There is a posting on the pilots only Jets for Jobs Information Page that provides a class schedule for MidAtlantic for October, November and December 2004. Please note that all bids must be received by midnight, September 6, 2004. For further information, please refer to the J4J webpage.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

:down: big deal you are the only group that will give 30% .it should be more like 40% .for the rest the stand is closed.

It's like the company thinks..ALPA is everything.

I believe they might have some surprises with the other groups (CWA / IAM )

I hope I have put enough of a positive spin on this.......

The IAM vows to bring this Company down! What is the big suprise?? They wanted to do that 34 yrs ago when I started at Mohawk. What I, and many others fail to understand ... if you hate this Co. so much and you will not work for less .... why do you not find another job, or "move on", as so many say?? Just go!!!! .. let those who wish to remain do so in peace ... without harrassment from you and your Union! There is no reason to remain and stomp on the ashes of the Company .... just to get a free dole of unemployment compensation. If you think you are qualified and will be hired by a better Company I believe you are foolish not to take the first opportunity, in order to build a Retirement Plan and and ensure Medical Benefits. Unemployment provides neither.

As far as USA320 or any othe U employees' "bottom line" is concerned ... IMHO it is none of you business. They are not obligated to share their life to ANY of you! Stop trying to ease your conscience with the thoughts of others. Decide for yourself where YOU want to be .. and move on from there.

2b

2BorNot2B said:
As far as USA320 or any othe U employees' "bottom line" is concerned ... IMHO it is none of you business. They are not obligated to share their life to ANY of you!
[post="175795"][/post]​

In general terms, I agree with your statement IF the same person isn't on here telling you what your bottom line should be worth to begin with. Dont ask, dont tell. Works for me.

2BorNot2B said:
The IAM vows to bring this Company down! What is the big suprise?? They wanted to do that 34 yrs ago when I started at Mohawk.
2b
[post="175795"][/post]​

Please show me where in any statement from the IAM where it supports your absurd posting.

700UW said:
Please show me where in any statement from the IAM where it supports your absurd posting.
[post="175804"][/post]​

Indeed there is absolutely no such statement from the IAM. I apologize for my wording. In fact, it is the distinct impression given by the posts of the Members here and of the notices to the Company that the IAM will not open the contract that causes me to make that statement. View it as you may.

I will be happy to hear what "The Concession Stand is Closed" & "Full Pay to the Last Day" ( read: Last Day) , "Shut IT Down" means to you. Just what impression do you get from that?? Is this not the IAM Chant??

2b

Go read this:
IAM/US Airways Cost Savings Meeting Update

http://www.iamdl142.org/USA2004-82-2.pdf

September 1, 2004 File:
USA-18 2004-82

IAM / USAIRWAYS UPDATE IAM Offers Cost Savings to US Airways

To All IAM Members at US Airways:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

On August 31, 2004 a meeting was held with Senior management of US Airways and representatives of the Grand Lodge Transportation Department, District Lodge 141 and District Lodge 142. The IAM presented cost savings proposals to the Company in excess of $115 million annually and explained how these savings could be achieved if and when implemented. Those proposals and their itemized values are attached for your review.

The Company made a presentation to the Union comparing operating costs of Jet Blue and America West to that of US Airways, which we believe in part inaccurate. IAM representatives and financial experts are reviewing that analysis.

The IAM is committed to preserving US Airways as a viable employer, and we will work feverishly to avoid a second bankruptcy filing. However, no amount of additional concessions will help US Airways evade bankruptcy unless the airline seriously fixes its operational problems.

The company must recognize that they have an obligation to work with the Unions to jointly develop a business plan that can be supported by all stakeholders and would return the airline to profitability. US Airways must regain the confidence of its employees to where they can look forward to market value wages, benefits and a justifiable retirement program, which they have so rightfully earned.

An independent analysis undertaken by Eclat Consulting and printed in the May 19, 2004 Aviation Daily clearly shows that US Airways can’t blame labor costs for the carrier’s problems.

Acknowledging that Southwest Airlines pays “some of the highest wages in the industry,†the analysis went on to say:

“Other network carriers, such as US Airways, which went through one bankruptcy and are now screaming for more concessions from labor, had the highest non-labor costs of the 12 U.S. carriers in the study. Perhaps the problem dwells deeper than hourly wages. A basic point that seems to be lost is that many airlines’ business models – and not merely wage rates, drive business losses.â€

Ironically, US Airways has retained Eclat consultant Doug McKeen to assist the carrier on labor issues. Mr. McKeen, who was present at yesterday’s meeting, apparently didn’t read his own company’s analysis.

It is inconceivable that US Airways may choose to continue wasting more than $115 million a year and steer the airline into bankruptcy once again. The IAM urges US Airways to work with all the carrier’s unions to develop a practical business plan that addresses the airline’s fundamental problems. The employees, shareholders and passengers of US Airways deserve nothing less.

Sincerely and fraternally,
William O’Driscoll
PRESIDENT
DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIRMAN
District Lodge #142

Randy Canale
PRESIDENT
DIRECTING GENERAL CHAIRMAN
District Lodge #141

tadjr said:
In general terms, I agree with your statement IF the same person isn't on here telling you what your bottom line should be worth to begin with. Dont ask, dont tell. Works for me.
[post="175798"][/post]​

Precisely! You are 100% correct, IMHO. When I go to vote .. in any Election ... I carry with me many thoughts. Private thoughts and values. In this issue everyones' "bottom line " is different for many reasons. The issues and considerations are endless! Individuals in each and every employee group are going to have different "bottom lines". That is why I object to the unfair posts questioning ( in a very sarcastic manner) A320's thoughts.

But there are some/many on this board that seem to put the "BL" on a level of Ego! We all have complimentry skills that enable this Airline to operate. We are all compensated at rates commesurate to our skills and value to the the overall operation. This is a fact in all corporations worldwide.

All Employee Groups are once again being asked to take a pay and Benefit cut. If that does not work for (You) then take the opportunity to find another job while you still have a steady income. But please do not destroy what might be acceptable to your fellow worker. It is just not considerate of others.

2b

All Employee Groups are once again being asked to take a pay and Benefit cut

Those that remain are. A sizeable amount are being "asked" to vote themselves out of a job too. You know that.

If that does not work for (You) then take the opportunity to find another job while you still have a steady income

People aren't stupid. They know the operation has had it and have planned and are planning accordingly. Insofar as the end is coming ( concessions nothwithstanding ) anyhow, they cannot be faulted ( logically or morally ) for having and going out with as large a war chest as possible.

But please do not destroy what might be acceptable to your fellow worker. It is just not considerate of others

Please do not ask others to die so that you may live...albeit marginally longer. That is less considerate yet.

As a backdrop, I find your premise of concessions=company lives and no ( yet more ) concessions=company dies an oversimplification that begs the question. It simply assumes the original premise is true by framing it that way. History has shown, as well as the present actions and talk from the company that old concessions were squandered and new ones will be as well, and that there will be more. The incremental breaking of the employees is most apparrent. No "Stockholm Syndrome" for me.

I might also add that the comment of an employee group trying to bring down a the company for the past 34 years, even if made in tongue-and-cheek manner, demonstrates bitter predjudice that is well ingrained. As such, I can hardly accept your view with any credibility.

High Iron said:
No "Stockholm Syndrome" for me.

I might also add that the comment of an employee group trying to bring down a the company for the past 34 years, even if made in tongue-and-cheek manner, demonstrates bitter predjudice that is well ingrained. As such, I can hardly accept your view with any credibility.

Well Sir, you are indeed articulate and I submit that I am not your match. My observations are indeed ingrained and have been reinforced by the Posts on this Forum.

Whether you wish to view my posts with credibility is up to you entirely. I have the same option.

But please consider this: This Forum is being viewed by a very diverse group. Not only Employees, but also customers present and future, investers, and management.

The postings by the IAM members on this Forum are extremely disturbing to anyone in the aformentioned groups ... and forecast a certain demise of this Company.

Why do you see so many dire forecasts in the News Services for USAirways? They state that the IAM refusal to negotiate is the "death knel".
What more needs to be said? At least the Pilots are trying.

So be it. I have my opinion and you have yours. I can live with that.

I think we can now see the problems with Unionism. It was a minor issue at USAir for many years but festered in the 90's, and look where we are now!

I am disturbed and sickened by many of the posts on this Forum. These are not the USAir people that I knew and loved over so many years. I do not know who these people dominating this forum are. Times are bad everywhere! Just think of WorldCom, Enron .. many Companies that have recently failed. It can and will happen at U ... you have to decide if you want to ride it to succes, or the end .. with pride, or with hatred.

2b,

The company has proven they cannot be trusted, what would you do if they violated your contract and outsourced your work?

Would you trust them?

The IAM has given back twice, to a tune of almost $300 million a year.

The management in this company does not know how to run an airline, all they know how to do is try and pickpocket the employees wallets!

And please inform me who took down WorldCom and Enron?

Let me tell you it was not the employees it was criminal acts by management to line their own pockets while stealing their employees futures.

700UW said:
2b,

And please inform me who took down WorldCom and Enron?

Let me tell you it was not the employees it was criminal acts by management to line their own pockets while stealing their employees futures.
[post="175843"][/post]​

You are very correct in that statement.

So in fact the Unions should be in Court suing the Company for inept Management and wonton failure of the Airline. Sounds like a great idea to me! Has this approach been considered? This could be a positive move for all Employees.

2b