Mech Layoffs

wts54

Senior
Sep 16, 2002
www.usaviation.com
To District 141-M Members Employed at United Airlines:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

United Airlines today notified District 141-M that as a result of the commencing of war in Iraq, the airline intends to place members at the Indianapolis Maintenance Facility on Authorized No Pay (ANP) status in two phases:

Phase I: March 25 – 468 mechanics
Phase II: April 15 – all remaining mechanics

United advised that it would begin recalling members from leave on June 15, 2003 with all remaining members returning to duty on August 15, 2003.

Additionally, the Company is reviewing its system-wide operation and additional temporary leaves are possible.

Furthermore, United will be reducing its active fleet on April 1, 2003 by seven 737s, ten 757s and four 777s.

District 141-M recognizes the additional hardships that war brings to the entire industry, but we feel the problems would be better addressed through consensual, ratified agreements than knee-jerk reactions to each emerging crisis.

District 141-M is reviewing United’s actions with our legal advisors and we will advise the membership of any new developments.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
President and General Chairman
IAM District 141-M

The company has stated in the newsreal that the ANP will be in accordance with the CBA. So does that mean they will do this by seniority? I sure hope so. I mean around the system. sounds like Indy is history.

Crossfeed,

Indy is gone, Oakland is next.
Everything is collapsing back to SFO.

Take Care,
UAL_TECH

The company mentions grounding 4 777''s, we are overhauling two at Oakland, should be finished overhauling in less then 2 weeks. I feel that Oakland is next, let us finish the overhaul, the company will have two fresh planes to fly, and park the next two scheduled for overhaul. I do not see were Oakland is critical at this point in the game.

----------------
On 3/20/2003 6:16:45 PM gatemech wrote:

The company has stated in the newsreal that the ANP will be in accordance with the CBA. So does that mean they will do this by seniority? I sure hope so. I mean around the system. sounds like Indy is history.

----------------​
Forced ANP's are done by seniority order, unless they allow volunteers to go first. ANP's are done at each locations, not around the system. Indy will be shutting down after the second round of ANP's I think.

Look at the Company's proposal for District 141M in the Restructuring section in Skynet. The company's proposal is to consolidate all maintenance in SFMC. Eliminate heavy maintenance, eliminate the paid 15 min of 30 min lunch, eliminate receipt and dispatch, etc. The good news is the company is not asking anymore than the 13 percent we are already giving up. The pay raise proposal is 1.5 percent raise each year from 2004 - 2008.

----------------
On 3/20/2003 11:48:28 PM UAL_TECH wrote:

Crossfeed,

Indy is gone, Oakland is next.

Take Care,
UAL_TECH

----------------​

That''s what the company is proposing. I think Oakland might be saved though

----------------
On 3/20/2003 11:48:28 PM UAL_TECH wrote:

Take Care,
UAL_TECH

----------------​

Key word here is "collapsing", and it may be further than SFO.

Should be no problem collecting unemployment while on ANP. Many of us at U took the voluntary furlough and are able to collect. One thing to be wary of though is the fact they are taking 13% wage reduction, here at U all we took was a 6.6% wage reduction but our new ppo insurance seems to be open ended, every three months it seems it goes up unless you elect to reduce coverage level. The negotiators still state we only gave up 6.6% but our insurance deductions keep going up??

----------------
On 3/21/2003 3:03:21 PM Borescope wrote:

Key word here is "collapsing", and it may be further than SFO.

----------------​

Is that your prediction? or.. wish to happen?

ual747mech,

From what I understand we have (force majeure). If so the company can do what ever it wants to. They don''t have to go by seniority. I might be wrong. If you like the proposal from the company then you will be happy. That is what you will get from the judge. I don''t like it. I will keep going to work till they send me home or I find another job. I hope the job comes first.

Gatemech,

You,re right. The company can use the war as an excuse to wiggle out of the contract and do what they think is necessary. Like you, I don't like what is happening. I've been looking for other career too but there is nothing out there worth replacing what we have right now. I mean comparable wages, having to start at ground zero all over again. I basically stop worrying about it. It's out of our hands. The best thing to do is to keep coming to work, do your job and don't even think about it because it will only stress you out.

Hopefully, things will get better in the future. In the meantime, keep your eyes open for a better opportunity just in case.

After consulting fellow workers today, I feel Indy is gone, and the company did not want to wait for the IAM to approve the closure, which they would not. If the union agreed to early closure of Indy the higher senority people may have been able to bid SFO, but it is to the companies advantage right now, due to they do not have to pay severence, so they may prefer the route they took? The Judge according to my information is going to make a decision on the contracts on April 15th. The foreman at Oakland feel it will close in June, and everybody will be going to SFO, including 13 of the 31 foreman at Oakland. Oaklands 777 overhauls are being parked, but we do have "C" checks to replace the overhauls. Oakland is over staffed by 38 people due to the "C" checks instead of overhauls, and they are looking for volunteers for ANP. As of now looks like Oakland will be operating till June with out the forced ANP (except for 38 people). This is my prediction which is probably wrong, and pilots, FA.... reading this could really care less.