mechanic upgrade time....

skippy525

May 10, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am considering working for UPS, and was wondering if anyone could tell me the appx. wait time for the A/C mechanic transfers are?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I am considering working for UPS, and was wondering if anyone could tell me the appx. wait time for the A/C mechanic transfers are?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Transfer from where ???? freight to mx ??? I don't think they allow that. Thats what a UPS hr rep once told me.

Fed Ex Express prides itself from hiring from within. You will probably have better luck there IMHO. If you find out other wise, please let us know.

Transfer from where ???? freight to mx ??? I don't think they allow that. Thats what a UPS hr rep once told me.

Fed Ex Express prides itself from hiring from within. You will probably have better luck there IMHO. If you find out other wise, please let us know.
Transfer from box thrower to A/C Maintenace..
I was under the assumption that you could transfer from freight to maintenance, as they also hire from within... What is the difference from a part time box thrower going to a driver and then onto vehicle maintenace? And a box thrower going to A/C maintenace, all the same company... If anyone can verify this, it would be greatly appreciated..

Transfer from box thrower to A/C Maintenace..
I was under the assumption that you could transfer from freight to maintenance, as they also hire from within... What is the difference from a part time box thrower going to a driver and then onto vehicle maintenace? And a box thrower going to A/C maintenace, all the same company... If anyone can verify this, it would be greatly appreciated..
Actually we have upgraded box throwers to maint, however it is difficult. You would be better off if you were hired as "utility". These are the stock room folks or aircft detailers. They are in the contract to be upgraded.

You must still have and A&P but yes you can go from utility to AMT but right now they are laying off mechanics

You must still have and A&P but yes you can go from utility to AMT but right now they are laying off mechanics

I do have my A&P, been in the industry for 10 yrs. So is it possible to go from package handler to A/C mechanic. What is the pecking order on who getss prefference first? Utility, handler, etc... and in what stations are there utility workers? How many mechanics are they laying off???

Hmmmm I have worked here for 15 years as a AMT, I have no idea what you are talking about as far as layoffs. Plz. get your facts straight prior to posting

I work in sdf and yes one mechanic possibly two as of right now has been given a layoff notice check the unions web sight or call the local or listen to the hotline anyway hopefully the company will reconsider “overtime issue and company saying we are overstaffedâ€￾
Back to the other issue
others on the ground side with A&P will be ahead of you to come over to the airline my best advice is get hired on as a utility or try to get on as a part time amt and then after 6 monthes try to go full time

I work in sdf and yes one mechanic possibly two as of right now has been given a layoff notice check the unions web sight or call the local or listen to the hotline anyway hopefully the company will reconsider “overtime issue and company saying we are overstaffedâ€￾
Back to the other issue
others on the ground side with A&P will be ahead of you to come over to the airline my best advice is get hired on as a utility or try to get on as a part time amt and then after 6 monthes try to go full time

So you are saying that as a P/T handler, I can transfer to AMT.. But other people will have priority before the ground people. for example, a utility person will have priority over a ground person, and a P/T AMT will have priority over the utility person. correct? If a handler has more senority with the company than a part time AMT,who will he get the position first?

A loader or anyone on the ground side would not be able to put in for and AMT position however they could apply for a utility position on the airline side once a utility then they could apply for an AMT opening and then the company contractually would have to offer an qualified utility on the list to become/transfer to an AMT the position in a certain ratio to those hired off the street. Full- time utilities I believe have priority over an pt AMT. Here is how part of that section reads

Section 5 - Utility Workers Bidding Aircraft Maintenance Technician
a. Utility workers who possess or acquire an A&P airmen’s certificate and want to be upgraded to a
position as an Aircraft Maintenance Technician, shall submit a bid to the Company in accordance
with Article 14, Section 3, d.
b. Utility employees bidding AMT classification vacancies shall be required to have successfully
passed an AMT Examination prior to the vacancy award date, if they desire to fill a vacancy. Such
examination by the Company may include a written component, an oral component, and practical
skills test. An employee may request and be granted a Union appointed observer during the
examination. An employee may take the examination upon written notification to the Company.
Testing will be completed within two (2) weeks of the written notification. The most senior Utility
employee who has passed the examination prior to the award date will be awarded the vacancy.
c. Such Utility employees will be upgraded on a two (2) for one (1) basis as compared to hiring from any other source. Pay for Utility employees who upgrade shall be in accordance with Article 36.
d. Utility workers who are awarded an Aircraft Maintenance Technician bid will be subject to a one (1)
year probationary period. If he fails his probation, he will be reassigned to the Utility classification
without loss of Utility seniority in lieu of termination. Upon failing probation, he will lose any AMT
seniority.

Thanks for the info, can you tell me what stations in the central states have the utility classification?
thanks again..

Not real sure but try
atl,cae,mia,ord,rfd,sdf
Hey air6dgo,

Can you PM me or tell me hte pay rates from bottom to top for the utility job, and how I would put in for a transfer from PT loader to a utility job.

thanks

Hey air6dgo,

Can you PM me or tell me hte pay rates from bottom to top for the utility job, and how I would put in for a transfer from PT loader to a utility job.

thanks
WAGE PROGRESSION BASED ON YEARS OF SENIORITY WITH THE COMPANY FOR
UTILITY CLASSIFICATION:
STEP U1 Start $11.50
STEP U2 At Year 1 Anniversary $12.10
STEP U3 At Year 2 Anniversary $12.75
STEP U4 At Year 3 Anniversary $13.80
STEP U5 At Year 4 Anniversary $14.85
At Year 5 Anniversary Top Rate in effect
TOP RATE FOR UTILITY CLASSIFICATION:
8/1/01 8/1/02 8/1/03 8/1/04 8/1/05
$17.80 $18.40 $19.10 $19.90 $20.70

I believe you have to put in to transfer/apply put name on list like any other position. it does seem to take allot of seniority. sorry about so late getting back also we are currently in negotiations on the contract so pay will change

Thanks for the info, I have been told that to be considered for a position in a/c maint. that I need to send a letter of intent with my resume to HR in SDF and then they will go over those resumes and call who they think is a good fit for the job, is that how it works? And if it is, do you know the name or email of the person in HR that I can send my information to?