Mechanics Ramp Up Strike Threat Against United

Mar 26, 2004
Thu May 5, 2005 03:36 PM ET

CHICAGO, May 5 (Reuters) - The union representing mechanics at bankrupt United Airlines on Thursday said mechanics at seven other U.S. airlines have vowed to support their colleagues at United, "up to and including the right to strike."
The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association said this week that United's mechanics were planning a strike in defense of their pension plans, which the carrier hopes to shift to government pension insurers. United, the No. 2 U.S. carrier, is a unit of UAL Corp. (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research)

REMAINDER DELETED - POST THE LINK PLEASE

I think the first time Continental declared bankruptcy the unions struck the
company does anyone remember if the company went to court for a TRO
and if they did what happened ???

IF the pensions go...UAL goes...either a strike or a "just not going to work today." It has to stop somewhere at least you guys have the balls to do it! Kudos. I'm sick of mgmt taking everything.

The line must be drawn here! :angry:

Anyone remember Eastern?

Not even a chance of a strike, and Tilton knows it. This is all bluster. All show, no go. The union will cave, and make a deal that has the thinnest of "saving face." They wouldn't dare shut the United down.

767jetz said:
Nice try. Give it up.
[post="266931"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

767jetz,
If your a UA employee, I've got a question for you.

(If your not an employee, disregard)

Q:

How MUCH MORE does UA/Tilton have to take from you, before YOU say "No Mas" ???????

NH/BB's

We aren't shutting down the airline NH BB.

Everyone is going to take paycuts......we aren't going to destroy our jobs to save yours.

I was on a different website yesterday and a poster asked this question: " how long would you work for free to work at a major?" Then the poster stated: "I'd work for free for 2 years"!!!! I almost chocked. THAT is what we are up against. Soooo, we will ALL take paycuts to ensure our jobs. If not, someone else will show up and do it for 'free'. :(

Everyone should take a nice long look at their contracts.....this is the best one you are going to see for 30 years.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:

767jetz,
If your a UA employee, I've got a question for you.

(If your not an employee, disregard)

Q:

How MUCH MORE does UA/Tilton have to take from you, before YOU say "No Mas" ???????
NH/BB's
[post="267049"][/post]​

Q. when are you sky nazi's going to hold the line so we don't have to take another paycut to stay as cheap?

NewHampshire Black Bears said:

767jetz,

NH/BB's
[post="267049"][/post]​

my comment to boeing 787 was with regard to his attempts to stir things up at UA. I believe he is an AA employee and IMO he wants to help push UA over the cliff for his own self preservation.

To answer your question, I am close to my limit at this point. I have accepted that the pensions are gone. The reality is that UA can not afford them, even by strectching out the obligations by 25 years. If they don't go, the banks won't loan the $ neccessary to emerge, UA will close down, and the pension goes away anyway. Either way they are gone. I do not blame Tilton for this reality. The things that caused us to get to this point were well in motion before Tilton arrived.

Replace him with someone else and they will arrive at the same conclusion. Reality is reality and we can't change that. I feel that considering the circumstances and our options, ALPA negotiated the best compromise (least worst deal) they could. I think it would be best for others to do the same, let this comapny emerge, and rebuild and recover some of what we lost at some point down the road. At my age I will still have time to establish a secure retirement. To be honest, I never counted on the pension in the first place, even when UA was flush with cash. To me it was just gravy. I planned accordingly.

Just one mans opinion of course.

/to those who accuse NHBB of trying to save his job by destroying yours...

Heads UP for some facts.

NHBB is NOT trying to save his job. He is not just tired of his job, he is RE-tired. (I think that means tired again, doesn't it? :lol: )

So it would be accurate to say he is trying to push UA over the cliff in order to save his PENSION then, if not his job?

767jetz said:
my comment to boeing 787 was with regard to his attempts to stir things up at UA. I believe he is an AA employee and IMO he wants to help push UA over the cliff for his own self preservation.

To answer your question, I am close to my limit at this point. I have accepted that the pensions are gone. The reality is that UA can not afford them, even by strectching out the obligations by 25 years. If they don't go, the banks won't loan the $ neccessary to emerge, UA will close down, and the pension goes away anyway. Either way they are gone. I do not blame Tilton for this reality. The things that caused us to get to this point were well in motion before Tilton arrived.

Replace him with someone else and they will arrive at the same conclusion. Reality is reality and we can't change that. I feel that considering the circumstances and our options, ALPA negotiated the best compromise (least worst deal) they could. I think it would be best for others to do the same, let this comapny emerge, and rebuild and recover some of what we lost at some point down the road. At my age I will still have time to establish a secure retirement. To be honest, I never counted on the pension in the first place, even when UA was flush with cash. To me it was just gravy. I planned accordingly.

Just one mans opinion of course.
[post="267062"][/post]​

Which is precisely why nobody's going to strike UAL. There's a lot more water in the well for Tilton to go after before the real revolt really begins. With pensions being so easy to snatch away, you can bet they'll be back after more pay and benefits.

767jetz...don't insult me I hate AMR and I don't work there. As a kid I dreamed of flying for United. But sometimes enough is enough...and by the way I did just happen to park one of those guppy 200's in VCV way back in october 2001. So don't be accusing me of stirring the pot. If the mechanics strike what are we to do? Get out our own wrenches? :shock:

boeing787 said:
767jetz...don't insult me I hate AMR and I don't work there. As a kid I dreamed of flying for United. But sometimes enough is enough...and by the way I did just happen to park one of those guppy 200's in VCV way back in october 2001. So don't be accusing me of stirring the pot. If the mechanics strike what are we to do? Get out our own wrenches? :shock:
[post="267094"][/post]​
My bad then. I apologize. I wouldn't want to be accused of working for AA either. ;)

There are many AA employees and others on here wanting to help push UA to the brink though. They have a personal agenda, whether it is saving their own job or their pension

If the mechanics strike, then the place may shut down, unless the outsourcing is sufficient to keep UA aloft. But I don't think it will come down to that. IAM threatened US Air with the same thing. So did AFA. It went right to the brink, but then calmer heads prevailed and compromise was met.

For those who think Tilton is playing a game, and trying to take everything he can before people cry "uncle", there is no changing their minds. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. IMO Tilton is trying to take only what is neccessary to please the banks and emerge from BK. No more. Certainly no less.

Pensions are a sensitive subject. But the reality is that it is the single biggest obligation UA is left with, and there is simply not enough money to keep them alive while still remaining a viable company. If UA closes down they are gone as well.

Replacing them with a much less expensive Defined Contribution plan is the only option. Just like ALPA maintained all along. Cancel was not an option. Terminate AND replace was the only road to compromise. While the situation does suck, I think people will eventually realize that a combination of the PBGC's guarantee, combined with a replacement DC plan will not be as painful as they initially anticipated. And it beats starting over somewhere else and letting our competition win the battle.

Latest posts