Merger 5 months Later

PhxMama

Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Its been 5 months since the merger and Ive been trying to weigh the good and bad of the combined operations. What are they doing in Tempe? From what I can remember over the past few months it seems alot. DP and crew are dealing with combining work groups and dealing with unions, trying to expand markets(Melbourne comes to mind), adding a/c, expanding HQ, holding town hall mtgs, looking at the pass trvl program and trying to decide how employees will board and dealing with an awful customer service problem. In the middle of all this we had Thanksgiving,Christmas and New years not to mention the phl problem. We all still know theres alot to be done but no one can say they are sitting in the sandcastle not making a move. I know you must all think I have been spending the day drinking Kool Aid (actually I had nightmares about Piney picturing me in a thong, and so have been hitting the gym) but I will give Doug some more time to get this airline back where it should be, at the top. If Tempe can keep the tempo moving hopefull this will lead to better things for all of us employees and customers. I also know we are combing the 2 websites into 1 which Im sure is a tremendous task. What about combining FFD and DM programs. Maybe once some of these things are decided upon and completed they will be quicker to answer complaints. I realize we need of VFFs and if they dont return calls we may not have much need for some of these things but maybe I will give them a break for a while. Wondering how everyone else on this board is seeing the big picture. Be gentle to me!

Seems lika a pretty reasonable recap to me.....

Some things haven't gone so well. Take a glance at the FlyerTalk discussion on catering - food in back and none in front. Somebody dropped the ball with the latest change in catering policy, but hopefully it just a hiccup.

Some things seem like would be better implemented if some decisions were made sooner. The combined employee travel site is a case in point. I'll freely admit that all that IT sutff seems like smoke & mirrors to me, but seems like it would be easier to issue everyone new ID's first (everyone has their new employee #), decide on a non-rev boarding policy (one side is gonna be upset no matter which way it goes), then design the travel site to fit.

The way they're apparently going about it - travel site first, ID's second (maybe), then boarding priority policy - just seems like it's making work for the IT folks. Design a site that'll accept old ID #'s (presuming that is part of the sign-in), make it use check-in time or seniority for boarding priority depending on whose A/C, then change it after new ID's and possibly again after the decision on boarding priority.

Anyway, not a bad beginning. Some hiccups here or there, but so far nothing major (though you'd think so from some of the complaints).

Jim

Things are really moving along IMO with better results than anyone 6 months ago would have dared to predict. Midnight oil is probably being burned by our management team to get these results. DP looked a bit tired during the webcast the last week, but still managed to have some fun and crack a few jokes. Just hope they don't run outta gas. Personally I feel good about the direction we are going.

Me either! I think I just figured out how to help with the "Branding" of the new US Airways.

All F/A's would wear leather.

Men - Black Leather vests and thongs with studs and boots.

Women - Thongs with studded Leather Bustiers and thigh high leater boots.

Both - Leather Aviator type hats and of course a riding crop to keep all those whinning elites in line.

It would lend new meaning to the phrase "Market Domination" :lol: :D :p :up:

Happy Now Coach????

Bob, you out done your self on that one......

Things are really moving along IMO with better results than anyone 6 months ago would have dared to predict. Midnight oil is probably being burned by our management team to get these results. DP looked a bit tired during the webcast the last week, but still managed to have some fun and crack a few jokes. Just hope they don't run outta gas. Personally I feel good about the direction we are going.
I agree. Last February I didn't expect to even be here. Now we have the best balance sheet of the "Big 6", new European routes, more 757's, 190's actually coming, facilities have been mostly all merged (less 7 cities), synergies way ahead of projections, revenue ahead of projections...
Side note on the light side- At the pilots lunch today with Doug- somebody asked about B6's problems with the E190's. Doug said he heard about it too and contacted B6 to see if they'd be interested in selling their delivery slots. They declined.
All in all, we're doing great!
:up: :up: :up:

Over all, I think it's going well. I like the idea of the slower pace rather than the rush to "mirror image" effects be damned.

I like the more open communication with both employees and customers. I like it a lot that some ideas considered and then decided against after employee/customer input.

I have faith in Doug Parker as an honorable man who really wants to run a profitable airline. And, so far, he seems to respect his employees.

It's great that we have some say in our new uniforms. However, I highly and most stringently recommend PineyBob's suggestions uniform-wise, be totally disregarded.

Black leather is just too hard to maintain and you know the TSA would never let us through the screening! :p

Dea

We havent seen any changes yet, except losing our spouses flying ability to board with our senority. They have put up with this airline crap as long as we have. We have 5 forman to every 3 employees thats how you run an effect company. When do you think Doug will relize actions speak louder than words.Do something Doug,we are waiting. :angry:

The image of Dea (going by her self portrait avatar) is too exciting to contemplate, juggling a leather cap on her bouffant, and can the whip be a whip/walking stick combo?

Piney you just need to calm down immediately.

Seriously though on the East side in Res., things are opening up and changes are being streamlined. Again, changes are being made after policies brought out as issues arise. It appears that as CCY has less input on the scene more lucid decisions and practices are being implemented. Responses are speedy, hiring is happening and morale is rising. :up:

The image of Dea (going by her self portrait avatar) is too exciting to contemplate, juggling a leather cap on her bouffant, and can the whip be a whip/walking stick combo?

Reznc,

Just imagine me dragging my rollerboard, tote bag stuffed to the brim with beauty aids, Ben-Gay (my steady date) wafting in my wake, orthopedic shoes and pressure hose, in the official navy blue, of course, and there I am!

Naturally, the TSA finds my metal-support back brace and underwire bra of immense interest. I now demand a private screening with blue light. Takes a bit longer, but who cares? The TSA is only one interested in seeing the Dea unveiled!

BTW, a riding crop is an excellent walking aid/cane.

But don't hate me because I'm beautiful! :lol:

Dea :p

We havent seen any changes yet, except losing our spouses flying ability to board with our senority. They have put up with this airline crap as long as we have. We have 5 forman to every 3 employees thats how you run an effect company. When do you think Doug will relize actions speak louder than words.Do something Doug,we are waiting. :angry:
You choose to complain about spouses boarding priority? As an employee, I would not be too happy if a spouse traveling alone would get on a flight while I get bumped.

Dea, only one problem I thought there was a height restriction for F/A's, so therefore wouldn't the riding crop be too short to use as a walking cane? That's why the whip/cane combo would be preferrable.

As my Mum would say "You would surely be a sight for sore eyes!" :p A true revenue enhancer. The likes of Piney tired from a hard day on the road would surely board the plane and shut their eyes, thereby reducing your workload as they pretended to be asleep, less bourbons handed out, no complaints about meals in the back and not up front. A true win/win for both sides.

Latest posts