Merger Update from Travis Christ

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
From Travis Christ:

With the merger of US Airways and America West nearing another milestone, I’d like to give you an update of where we are and of some imminent changes to the new Dividend Miles program and usairways.com.

First, I’d like to thank you for your patience as we’ve begun the process of integrating the airlines. From September 27 through today we’ve accomplished a great deal, and, as you know, there’s a great deal left to do. Our employees around the world have done an incredible job of beginning the integration of some of the most complex business systems in existence, and we’ve found that in the vast majority of cases those systems are working well. If you’ve experienced some struggles along the way, I apologize for that, and I want you to know that we’re aware of the outstanding issues and we’re well on the way to complete and seamless airline integration.
Accomplishments

As we progress, it can be easy to lose sight of the positive work that has been completed so far, so here’s just a small list of our achievements to date related to the Dividend Miles program:
Earlier upgrade windows, the most generous in the industry
More destinations, award redemption options, and upgrade opportunities with our expanded route network
Elimination of the Saturday night stay on award travel
Dozens of new accrual, redemption, and upgrade opportunities
Introduction of the new US Airways World MasterCard
New service to four destinations in Hawaii and three more coming in Europe this summer
Launch of Swiss International Airlines and South African Airways as new Dividend Miles partners
I hope you’ll agree that these benefits alone, made possible due to the merger, have helped make the Dividend Miles program more valuable than ever and have made your travel easier and perhaps more productive.

Up Next

We’ve got two big milestones teed up for the month of May:

Launch of the new Dividend Miles program featuring:

Combination of FlightFund and Dividend Miles accounts into a single Dividend Miles account – no more transferring miles between the two programs
Debut of “auto-upgrades†and upgrade e-mail notification for Preferred members on both route networks
One-way mileage upgrades
Debut of new Platinum Preferred membership status
Improved online redemption options
Additional accrual and redemption options through Virgin Atlantic, Hawaiian Airlines, and other partners
Launch of the new usairways.com, which will be a re-branding of the americawest.com site with its easy-to-use features that allow for:

A single login to manage your Dividend Miles account and book travel
A streamlined booking process that will make it faster and easier to book your travel
Online seat selection on America West-operated flights
Automatic full-fare upgrades at time of purchase for Preferred members, based on availability
Ability to change or cancel most reservations that were booked online
On the Horizon

The final technical hurdle, integrating our reservations systems (full replacement of Sabre with Shares), will not occur until early 2007. This is the one that makes airline mergers hard as these are legacy, mainframe-based systems that are complicated and delicate. Until they’re merged we’ll continue to do our best to ensure that your ability to book and change travel with us is as easy as possible.

We’ll have details to follow for the events in May, but please know that our goal is for you to notice very little change, other than for the better. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or comments.

Thank you again for choosing to travel with us. We appreciate your business.

With Warm Regards,

Travis Christ
Vice President, Sales and Marketing

How can he call those accomplishments?

1. Earlier upgrade windows benefit US3's not US2's and US1's who book last minute travel. And, they are holding back lots more discounted seat upgrades. And, they are selling upgrades at the gate rather than upgrading elites.

2. More destinations? I could have flown UA or a *A carrier before the merger.

3. Elimination of Saturday night stays? How about the increase of a Y award to 25K from 20K? What about the reduction Y capacity to book award travel?

4. Dozens of new destinations? UA, *A could have done that

5. Service to HI--UA

I guess you have to give him credit for the pep talk...but does he really believe that the has accomplished anything other than making a lot of elites very upset? Does he really believe that the changes are BETTER?

It's amazing how two people can read the same e-mail and have completely different reactions! As a US1, I thought the e-mail was very informative and nice to receive. As an IT Manager, I can tell you integrating all of these systems in a way that does not result in large amounts of chaos is very complex. Give them some time, sheesh.

A long time ago, I said I would accrue status in two alliances. So, as soon as I renew my US1 (I'm at about 77K miles so far in 2006), I will hop on over to NW/CO/DL/AS and renew my NW Platinum status. After that, I will choose whichever alliance has the better schedule and price.

From Travis Christ:

Please DONT QUOTE an ENTIRE long post.
Thanks.
Don't feel bad. That's how the employees are treated also. They put on nice "pep rallies" around the system while at the same time take away more and more. They now charge our parents to fly. Why? Not only do they have to pay a $15.00 surcharge per flight but also the taxes. Overall the hotels for flight crews are dirty and located in unsafe neighborhoods(BOS- long, etc.). Now they talk about closing US EAST crew bases to try to save a nickel. It may not sound like that big a deal, but after giving up 40% pay and benefits, the little quality of life things that are taken away add up.

It's amazing how two people can read the same e-mail and have completely different reactions! As a US1, I thought the e-mail was very informative and nice to receive. As an IT Manager, I can tell you integrating all of these systems in a way that does not result in large amounts of chaos is very complex. Give them some time, sheesh.

You have got to be kidding me. The accomplishments listed are nothing more than a bunch of b/s. There is NOT ONE benefit to the US1 from the East side of the operations. The program has not been ENHNANCED in the slightest degree. These people are penny wise and dollar foolish. I sincerely think they don't have a clue what is going on. Someone needs to start flying FC on competitors and see how terrible the product is on US. The breakfast that HP serves costs, AT MOST, $1.50--it's pathetic. Most of us would be satisfied with a lesser product than what UA or
AA offers, but with what US offers, it is total nonsense in light of the fares they are charging. Furthermore, this is a management team on crack. The accomplishments may have enhanced the west side of the program, but the changes certainly have not been better for the east side. They have done nothing more than to diminish the program, particularly for their best customers.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME ONE CHANGE THAT HAS ENHANCED THE PROGRAM FOR US1'S....NAME JUST ONE...

You know this might seem cold and callous but if all you do is complain about how US treats you, then move on and find another carrier.

All you do is complain, complain and complain.

I mean it almost sounds like battered wife syndrome.

If things are so bad, move on and stop being so bitter about everything.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME ONE CHANGE THAT HAS ENHANCED THE PROGRAM FOR US1'S....NAME JUST ONE...

Sure:

1) Ability to upgrade on HP-operated flights.
2) Better connections to the west coast.
3) The Platinum level between Gold and Preferred is long overdue.
4) Transcons (PHX/LAS) out of DCA so I don't need to hop to PHL or CLT and deal with east coast ATC and traffic issues twice.
5) Now we'll have one way mileage upgrades.
6) Soon HP elite members will have access to Star.

I'm not sure what you're looking for?! HP has never and will never be a UA or AA. They are keeping an eye on costs and trying to balance benefits with the realities of running a business. If you're so unhappy, switch carriers and move on.

Incidentally, I have flown First in the past year on CO, DL, UA, AS, US, HP and NW. US/HP is not that much different than the others *except* on UA/CO transcons, where UA/CO serve a decent meal. Otherwise, there's not that much of a difference. UA's short haul flights serve was US does. I've flown First ORD-SEA several times this year, and all I get is the same sandwich HP serves DCA-PHX. Ok, so maybe UA offers some warm nuts and a tablecloth. Big deal, I can live without these.

Really, it's amazing how emotional customers get over an airline. Move on if you are so disappointed! If you keep spending your $s with US, then you either a) don't care or B) find enough of a value proposition in US that it makes sense to keep flying them.

If you're so unhappy, switch carriers and move on.

I have my status match with UA.

Sure:

1) Ability to upgrade on HP-operated flights.
2) Better connections to the west coast.
3) The Platinum level between Gold and Preferred is long overdue.
4) Transcons (PHX/LAS) out of DCA so I don't need to hop to PHL or CLT and deal with east coast ATC and traffic issues twice.
5) Now we'll have one way mileage upgrades.
6) Soon HP elite members will have access to Star.

Before the merger, I flew UA to west coast and they had, and have, a better FC product. Further, I could take a US flight to DEN or LAX or SFO and connect on a UA flight to get to a city not served by US.

The Platinum level has diluted the US1 program further in the past 6 months--Plats were given comp US1 status which has further complicated getting an upgrade as a true US1.

The Plat level will cause even more problems for US1's trying to upgrade on tickets purchased less than 3 days in advance since Plats are upgraded at the 5 day window.

US1's don't need mileage upgrades. They get comped upgrades.

As a US1, I already had access to Star.

So, where is the benefit to US1's? There are lot of benefits to HP elites and to Silvers, but not US1's.

And, I have had many 2 hour flights on UA in FC where they served a really really good salad, bread service, and a decent dessert. There is no comparison between the products--I think we all know that though. I'm not looking for US to come up to where UA is, just an improvement would be nice.

You know this might seem cold and callous but if all you do is complain about how US treats you, then move on and find another carrier.

I totally agree! Either it is not as bad as you US1's make it sound...or you're just real glutans for punishment. What really tickles me is that even after your horrible times on US...all you have to do when you're not flying is talke about the airline. I say it's time to perhaps work on getting a life!

There are many FFOCUS members who have already moved on... including one is who quite vocal in this forum.

Still, the SandCastle can't see the forest for the trees on these changes. Ultimately, when the fares for LCC aren't in the range of the lowest, it doesn't matter if you're a DM elite or not when another carrier will give you better service at a lower cost. As Art keeps saying... "It's the fares, stupid."

Latest posts