MERGERS: Delta, US Airways, AMR, Continental buyers

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Airline Stocks Rise on Lower Oil, Buyout Speculation and Reports of Smooth Holiday Travel

NEW YORK (AP) -- Airline stocks rose Friday on lower oil prices, buyout speculation and reports of short lines and few delays during the first leg of holiday travel.
The Amex Airline Index rose 2 percent in morning trading. Light, sweet crude oil for January delivery fell 99 cents to $96.30 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Fuel is one of the airline industry's biggest costs.

Shares of UAL Corp. rose $1.14, or 2.9 percent to $40.14 after a Business Week report that the company is still reviewing consolidation options despite denials from UAL and Delta Air Lines Inc.

An official with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press last week that UAL and Delta have been discussing a combination that would keep the United name and the corporate headquarters in Chicago. Delta and United later denied they had any merger talks.

Investors have been pushing for airline consolidation to cut costs. Calyon Securities analyst Ray Neidl expects UAL and Northwest Airlines Corp. to be potential sellers and Delta, US Airways Group Inc., AMR Corp. and Continental Airlines Inc. to be potential buyers.

"Most of the participating parties seem to be ready to 'get on with the show,'" Neidl said in a note to investors, "including labor, managements, and financiers/the market -- even government regulators are moving in that direction." He noted that he does not expect consolidation to be "imminent, but when it comes it will be fast and furious."

Northwest shares rose 22 cents to $17.78 as Delta shares gained 43 cents, or 2.4 percent, at $18.36; US Airways added 38 cents at $20.32; AMR rose 74 cents, or 3.7 percent, to $20.75; and Continental rose 80 cents, or 3 percent, to $27.86.

Although there were delays in New York and other congested areas, the first leg of holiday travel was relatively smooth, according to several reports. Analysts and industry watchers expected delays to grow over Thanksgiving weekend, as surveys indicated a record 38.7 million U.S. residents were likely to travel 50 miles or more between Wednesday and Sunday, up about 1.5 percent from last year.

I think a merger with Northwest would be great. They have all those wonderful asian routes and there is practically no overlap.
:up:

Oh YES! What a great idea, two of the least favorite airlines with the most unhappy employees and passengers could make a really great smoking hole of an airline!

Don't underestimate NW. I fly about 120K miles per year on them, and they have a good (not great, but good) product and solid operation. Also, IT-wise, they are by far the most advanced of any of the major carriers. Everything always works ... web site, kiosks, etc. Any merger with NW that involved moving to their systems and product would be a step in the right direction.

I have never flown on NW but my father has numerous times and he tells me they have always treated him like gold. And this is a man who has traveled extensively for 40 years or better and worldwide. I trust his judgment on this.

I have talked to their crews for years and they are nice as can be. They've had some really rough times, like us, and we relate.

I still think it would be a good, solid match.

Any merger of US and a big legacy will be good....as long as the management changes.

Don't underestimate NW. I fly about 120K miles per year on them, and they have a good (not great, but good) product and solid operation. Also, IT-wise, they are by far the most advanced of any of the major carriers. Everything always works ... web site, kiosks, etc. Any merger with NW that involved moving to their systems and product would be a step in the right direction.

If merger were to happen between NW & US you would not be able to say the same.
Remember, "The West Way Is the Best Way" , and if not the best way - THE CHEAPEST way.
By the end of the school year the US IT department will once again be fully staffed. At least for the summer.
Just the thought of Everything always working ... web site, kiosks, etc. at USAirways is a pipe dream.
Looking at the US/AWA merger, it would seem managements thought process was and is, IF it works well and is easy to use GET RID OF IT!

Linemech

this from somebody who suggested that us and ual f/c transcon product were comparable...

If merger were to happen between NW & US you would not be able to say the same.
Remember, "The West Way Is the Best Way" , and if not the best way - THE CHEAPEST way.
By the end of the school year the US IT department will once again be fully staffed. At least for the summer.
Just the thought of Everything always working ... web site, kiosks, etc. at USAirways is a pipe dream.
Looking at the US/AWA merger, it would seem managements thought process was and is, IF it works well and is easy to use GET RID OF IT!

Linemech

Well now...just hold your horses.

If any of this were to come to fruition, there would be a huge flush of middle management. Those left standing would fill in the blanks. And I would guess that the AWA folks would be the people out of a job. Sorry...

I'd like to see DP go as well. He's a drunk. I don't trust drunks.

I want him gone..........
<_<

this from somebody who suggested that us and ual f/c transcon product were comparable...

What I said was that US's product is not fundamentally that much different from UA's, and it's not. Except for the warm nuts and linens, there's really not that much difference, despite what the whiners on flyertalk.com would make you think. Domestic First is really not that much different if you step back and objectively look at the service. Meal portions are the same, salad sizes are the same, deserts are comparable (decent slice of pie vs. sundae), UA has warm nuts while US has the snack basket, US's leather First seats are definitely more comfortable than UA's cloth First seats, seat pitch is too tight on both, UA bulkhead First is horrid pitch-wise compared to US bulkhead First, way easier to upgrade on US vs. UA, US 733s/A319s have more rows of First, UA will only serve one mini at a time (per policy) while US serves two, US pre-flight will serve anything while UA pre-flight is water or OJ only ... and I can go on if you wish.

Probably because they are on a GREAT reservations SYSTEM, CALLED PARS which used to be solely owned by TWA.

I thought NW used worldspan. My agency uses worldspan and our record locator is the NW record locator. I thought that was because they were the host carrier. I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right I'm just wondering why that's the case? When my agency was in Sabre the same thing was the case with AA; our record locator was the locator for AA too when we called AA.