Mesa ordered to pay Hawaiian Air $80M

HPearlyretiree

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
:up:
Mesa ordered to pay Hawaiian Air $80M

By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer
A federal judge today ordered the parent of interisland carrier go! to pay Hawaiian Airlines $80 million for misusing confidential business information.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Faris found that Mesa Air Group used the confidential information to "gain a competitive advantage ... to enter the market for Hawai'i interisland air transportation services."

Hawaiian sued Phoenix-based Mesa last year for $173 million in damages, alleging that Mesa used confidential financial data from Hawaiian to set up go! airline.

Mark Dunkerley, Hawaiian's president and chief executive officer, applauded the decision.

"Today's ruling is a triumph for fair competition and ethics over dishonesty and illegal behavior. Nobody benefits when a company like Mesa misuses confidential information to gain an unfair competitive advantage, then lies about it and destroys evidence," he said.

Dunkerley said evidence presented at trial confirmed Hawaiian's contention that Mesa's strategy was to reduce competition in the marketplace.

"Mesa pretends that they are in Hawaii to help the consumer. As the evidence in this trial showed, the reality is that Mesa's intent was to drive local competition out of business and raise fares. We are pleased that the Court laid out the facts for all to see."

In his ruling, Faris rejected a request by Hawaiian Airlines to bar go! from selling tickets for interisland service for one year.

"In this case, the award of money damages adequately redresses the harm suffered by HA as a result of Mesa's breach of the confidentiality agreement," Faris wrote.

And that is just the HA suit.

AQ suit upcoming and it has treble damages.

I can just see JO now, probably has run out of employees to scream at. Probably has some intern in his office to scream at.

Couldn't happen to a more terrible person.

Happy Halloween JO!

not to defend Mesa, I think they deserved to loose this lawsuit, but I believe they will appeal this decision and it will probably be in court for a while longer before they actually pay anything.

As a condition of filing an appeal they will need to post a bond for the full amount of the judgment, so simply filing the appeal will cost between $2m and $8m in bond fees or, alternatively, Mesa will need to put a $80m deposit into restricted account that only may be accessed by the court.

Either way it is costly immediately.

An aquaintance tried to limit the $39 fares many times hoping to get a reaction from Aloha / Hawaiian but he said they didn't budge and kept flooding the market with $39 inventory. He said they'd strategically monitor their competition's inventory thru Sabre & other sources, and would deliberately zero out or severely limit the $39 fares in some markets, kind of playing "cat and mouse" with inventory - and AQ and HA didn't move on a single competing flight. So how on earth the judge can award "loss of revenue" because of Mesa is absurd. Its a freaking 50 seat jet with a 65% load factor.. not a 717 or 737 with 125 seats.

had AQ and HA reacted, then I can understand a summary judgement award.

but oh well.

its going to be a few years before HA sees a penny.

No interns are allowed up on 11 except for the legal department.

I applied at Mesa once, got through about 4 interviews.

All the while, each person went on and on about what a bastard JO was, and would I be OK with being treated like scum.

Gave me a crappy feeling.

I didn't get the job, thank god, a friend later interviewed with the person that got it and said he was the most demeaning, unprofessional A hole she had ever met.

I guess I didn't fit the type they wanted. :lol:

During my interview with them, a manager actually had the gall to tell me "JO wants to put XYZ out of business, and he's going to do it!"

I'm not even finished with OJT and I just put in my resignation. Thank god for other regional airlines where there's actually a future.

I've unfortunately done an internship with Mesa...

Pros:
Was at the 7th gate of Hell in Washington Dulles
Very Very far away from a$$h0l3s like JO/BL/ML and NV(Joking).

Cons:
Too many to list...Mesa still owes me a lot but am I going to be seeing anything soon? Nope...