brought on by the low-cost carriers, US Airways must
achieve lower costs to remain competitive and return to
profitability. In your heart of hearts, we believe that
most of you know this.

My past year of service on the Board of Directors has
made it clear that US Airways employees'
professionalism and dedication are unparalleled in the
industry. Our customers want us to succeed because of
your efforts, which we all greatly appreciate.

A healthy, prosperous US Airways that will provide
stable careers for employees, a return on shareholders'
investments and air service to our communities are all
goals that we share. Our common task, then, is to find
the way to accomplish this.

I am under no illusion that this will be easy. It
won't. Fundamental changes in the way we do business
are necessary and, yes, participation again by our
employees must be a part of the answer. But you have my
pledge that I am committed to finding the solutions, to
working collegially with our labor leadership in that
search and to continuing to communicate with you.

Our future is our own to decide, but we must leave the
past behind and look ahead as we continue to build a
new US Airways.

Sincerely,

Bruce Lakefield
CEO

you guys wanted a new ceo? well, you got him. same story different person. we gotta change and everyone must participate.

The new ceo has an incredibly difficult job ahead, and that is to keep the company afloat. Yes there will be concessions that the employees are going to have to give up but I think they will be easier to swallow if its from someone other than Dave.

The concessions that the employees have undergone are brutal by any standard and the third is going to be worse. The only suggestion that I can make is have Bruce Lakefield tell the employees that if concessions are granted for the third time the employees share in the profitablility of US Air going forward.

I just can't see any other solution to this huge problem.

Good luck to everyone at US Air.

Of course it's going to be the same old story. Is anyone actually surprised? There was several threads that stated even if Siegel left, his replacement would most likely follow a similar path regarding concessions. Everyone wanted Siegel out, now that it has happened, it will be interesting to see if people will be more inclined to listen to Lakefield even though he will have much the same to say as Siegel did.

One thing against Lakefield right out of the gate, is the time it was take for him to get acclimated and established as CEO, when there are so many other major priorities to deal with right now. This is one thing this company does not have a lot of...time. Especially with Southwest knocking on the door.

I just cant believe that some people really honestly thought there was another way ....... Dave was the right man but the unions didnt like him. He will be the fall guy, the scape goat for many. Our union leaders esp the likes of xidas and other hardliners need to give an explanation now. The sweet liitle quips and "red" talk, needs to stop and they need to lead. Whats their answer to this proble. Stop saying were not giving and do something or be kicked out. As i said in an earlier post, be careful what you asked for, you may well get it. Well you got your way dave is gone, now the cutinng continues like it or not..... Hope you and I have a job when its all done.

Hopefully the U employees will participate. Today America West just posted a profit and they project an annual profit this year.
So if they can do it after restructuring and meeting the permanent fundamental changes in the industry why can't the employees at U do the same?
I have my doubts on some groups but hopefully they will see the light as there are no comparable jobs available for such and old employee group.

PineyBob said:
If the truth annoys you, then I would submit that you will be annoyed for quite some time. Dave wasn't wrong, he just had NO PEOPLE SKILLS.
I agree..... I remember the feeling I got when I watched the webcast. It was like "oh, NOW, I get it."

Generally, I don't judge people's performance by how well they get along with others, or how well they communicate or make people 'feel,' but he really did NOT inspire confidence by that performance.

Same old cr*p. Blah blah blah. If Mr. Lakefield was serious about restructuring the management and business plan of this airline, he'd would have implemented some major reforms TODAY, then gone to the employees with. "I am a man of action and not words. I have implemented some long overdue business changes now with more to follow in a few days. Today is the first day of the new US Airways."

He didn't because he is neither a leader nor an airline man.

Oh, and Dave made soooo many sacrifices . . . . I hope the $4.5 million in "see ya" money helps compensate him for all his pain. Oh, and that's just what they'll admit to in severance. There's probably a lot more under the table. These guys aren't stupid . . . . they take care of each other.

I know this may sound crazy coming from me...but I agree with those of you that are agreeing with the new CEO. I may be junior, but, I love this airline..I loved my job..and still love it at MAA. I would give consessions again...only because it will not be forever. what I mean is..eventually contracts will be negotiated and everyone will be earning the same they were before 911 and things will be great again. Come on people, if you are so misserable with your job..and want to leave..well all I got to say is don't let the door kick you in the @$$..because I love this company and I want to work here for the next 25 years. I have been holding my words about this for a long time because I did not want to affend anyone on here..but, give the guy a break already..he was just appointed yeasterday. GEEWIZ...give him a chance. Yes, he will want concessions. Don't you want U to survive? I think everyone has been spoiled for so long at U that it is hard...it will get worse before it gets better. I just wanna see a profit and more routes and furlougheees come back...and for U to grow. Give him a chance...stop all the negitivity already. I do not post on here or come on here to much cause it is so negitive sometimes that it is depressing. Sorry if I offended anyone..but, we are aloud to post our opinions... ;)

usfliboi said:
I just cant believe that some people really honestly thought there was another way ....... Dave was the right man but the unions didnt like him. He will be the fall guy, the scape goat for many. Our union leaders esp the likes of xidas and other hardliners need to give an explanation now.
Although Dave did one or two things right he messed up huge while we were BK he came out too quick and concentrated on labor cost to much and alienated labor groups he should have spent most of that time lowering non labor cost which still can be cut as much as 2 to 4 % .
How can you say he was the right man he made a mess of U in BK and it will take a miracle to fix it . He should not be allowed to take his 5 mil.

Ya know, fliboi, I can't figure out why you're such a Siegel cheerleader. I mean, I can follow why one might have considered capitulation to be the lesser of the two evils, but that hardly makes Siegel worthy of praise.

What on earth did he do that was a net positive for the company?

Winglet
Posted on Apr 20 2004, 04:48 PM

Same old cr*p. Blah blah blah. If Mr. Lakefield was serious about restructuring the management and business plan of this airline, he'd would have implemented some major reforms TODAY, then gone to the employees with. "I am a man of action and not words. I have implemented some long overdue business changes now with more to follow in a few days. Today is the first day of the new US Airways."

winglet, you are absolutely right.

If this new CEO has nothing more to offer than the same old mantra of, "slashing unionized labor costs are the first and only thing that will fix this company's financial woes", then we are only a short distance from the end!

Latest posts