Message To Ccy

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
All,

Late last week I sent a message to CCY, which was neither nasty or confrontational. It stated facts--that they are facing a serious departure of frequent fliers, and asking for explanations why other cost cutting operational changes were not implemented.

As they have chosen to ignore the request, I see it fit to post it here for comment...let's keep it civil though....

To whom it may concern: (obviously no one)

This is being sent in the spirit of open communication and concern--this is something you and your colleagues need to hear.......

Your best customers have had enough. You and your team are making stupid decisions which will save you nothing and cost you the revenue of your most loyal customers, who are being invited by you to go elsewhere.

No one disputes the devastating impact fuel has had on your bottom line and your alleged plan of recovery. On the other hand no one wants to see this company survive and grow more than your most loyal customers, many of whom are represented by our organization FFOCUS. However, the lack of operational planning and the inability to deal with the operational issues which currently plague the company as illustrated in a recent post on both flyertalk and US Aviation by a VERY LOYAL CUSTOMER say it all....http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19274 (Refers to the post "The Lipstick is Gone".

The DOT report came out which was a scathing indictment of your management team, and there was no response from US. No retraction of the statements blaming labor (yes they shared in the responsibility, but facts are facts). The president of COMAIR resigned for heavens sake even though his management was not blamed for their problem.

Regardless of what your intent is, or your reasoning, perception is reality to most people, and that is the perceived truth. So perhaps you can explain why....

You gut your staffing although most of your kiosks don't work..WHY?

You outsource cleaning and other functions and no one oversees the operation--planes, gates, and common areas are FILTHY--WHY?

Outsourcing has been a proven failure at other companies and many off shore jobs are being brought back to the US due to failures and backlash from customers. States are making legislation prohibiting them from doing business with companies who outsource...IT COSTS MORE IN THE LONG RUN and you will eventually have to bring the work back. WHY?

You make a decision to close more clubs--now you've closed almost 30% of your club network in the past year or so...yet you raise the price of club membership for those who want to use RCC as well....did you anticipate the outcry and refund requests which are certainly forthcoming?? Did you foresee the fact that SFO and LAX club closings will now result in most of your customers flying UA or other carriers on transcons? We PAY for the clubs..other airlines are refurbishing their clubs and some provide free bar service...you're cutting???? WHY?

Your labor buyouts are resulting in your best most experienced employees walking out the door--did you realize that these people are the main reason your most loyal customers stay loyal?? Did you anticipate that these customers would be walking out the door right behind these employees???? WHY?

You make a big deal and waste millions at FLL only to draw it down and realize you made a mistake--you didn't plan for the inability of the infrastructure to handle the traffic. WHY???? Perception is reality--how do you think that blunder made you look?

You continue to refuse to think outside the box and make changes which could not only save you money but reduce costs further? WHY?

1. Dump the GO FARES--they are designed to steal customers from Greyhound Air and other LCC's--Business travelers don't care about these artificially low fares--we're willing to pay a little more for your product--but your product is no longer worth the premium. We understand you have to base your pricing on cost plus to stay alive, but obvously you don't. WHY NOT?

2. RATIONALIZE the fare structure NOW-- DL did it and it is proving to be revenue positive...more travelers who otherwise would not fly would take to the skies at REASONABLE rates. I would never again pay $985 to go to CLT and back from LGA, but I wouldn't expect it for $49 either...
DL's CVG experiment succeeded. AS and HP have had rational fares for a while now and they are in much better shape than you are.

3. DUMP THE DEAD WOOD--US has the best employees in the business--many of whom are leaving. There are also, however, some employees who show up and find any excuse not to work--workers who refuse to work should be shown the door NOW. I am tired of pulling into a gate and having no one to park the airplane or unload the bags--plan for your operations efficiently...it can be done. Recently a pilot had to go back to unload carryons--only then did the rampers come out of the break room....if they don't want to work, show them the door--they are a drag on the company. How many millions did it cost you to deliver luggage over the past quarter?? This applies to management as well by the way...

4. OPERATE and PLAN SMART SCHEDULES--You can cut costs by expanding on the rolling hub, and improving productivity by scheduling more flying time for aircraft and crews as allowed in your new agreements...you aren't making use of it. Further more, you could do like AA did--dedicate a subfleet to PHL so when the hub goes down other parts of the system aren't dragged down too. Dedicate a crew to a single airplane for the whole day--eliminates crew-caused schedule distruptions.

US Airways up until recently had the potential to come back stronger and more secure than ever--but it appears you have blown the chance. You were given MILLIONS in concessions and did nothing with that...WHY??? It ain't just fuel here, folks...
Don't take us for granted--you are seriously at risk of losing your BEST and most LOYAL customers now. Can you afford to lose the revenue?

This is a wake up call people-- you are on the verge of losing one of your key support groups: frequent travelers!! I welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues further on a one to one basis and will travel to wherever at my own expense to do so.

This is not confrontational, it is a statement of fact as we see it----deal with us.......we want some answers or we are surely gone......up until now we wanted to be your biggest allies--but you apparently don't care if we go elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Art at ISP

Art at ISP said:
2. RATIONALIZE the fare structure NOW-- DL did it and it is proving to be revenue positive...more travelers who otherwise would not fly would take to the skies at REASONABLE rates. I would never again pay $985 to go to CLT and back from LGA, but I wouldn't expect it for $49 either...
DL's CVG experiment succeeded. AS and HP have had rational fares for a while now and they are in much better shape than you are.
[post="259065"][/post]​
Simplifares were doing ok in CVG but system wide has DL actually said they are proving to be revenue positive?

AS and HP are in much better shape for a long list of reasons, but US could do a lot better if they mimmicked their fares and AS' upgrade program.

Why on Earth should CCY listen to rantings like this, when they know you aren't going anywhere? I don't mean to single you out, Art, because it seems to apply to most if not all of the Ffocusers. But y'all kick and scream about how terrible things are getting, and threaten to pull up your marbles and your travel dollars and go elswhere, and have been threatening this for a few years now, yet you are still here.

CCY has logically decided they can ignore most of what you say, and continue on down their path, with no ill consequences from you. You have proven you will keep coming back for more, no matter what they do.

Bear96,

If you listen to Longing 4 Piedmont, and others, you will see that this time it is no longer the case. Many of us are actively booking away.

I have traveled on UA quite a bit during the past few weeks, and will be doing more so.....

And my note was by no means a rant..I think it was a fair request for accountability and for them to explain themselves....

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I thought it was a rant. I was trying to convey how CCY would view it, and why.

Bear96 said:
You have proven you will keep coming back for more, no matter what they do.
[post="259071"][/post]​
Mr. longing4piedmont
SkyMiles Number: XX0387XXXX
Membership Level: Platinum Medallion
Crown Room Club® Member

Medallion® Qualification Miles: 36288
Total Available Miles: 205718

I'll be over half way to PLT by the end of this week. So far this year I'm just over 50 segments on DL. 4 on CO. 2 on the tidy bowl. 18 on US. What does that tell you? Hello CCY. Anybody home?

Art.

Thank you for holding up the mirror the folks in CCY need to look at. I don't feel this was a rant, as you raised many very valid questions that deserve a response.

The service delivery failure levels you describe need to be addressed. The baggage problem is now over (3) months old and still folks are arriving without their bags from a certain hub. I wonder if the DOT is still watching how this is being addressed.

If there is ever a venue at the Olympics for call tranfers, I know who would win the gold. Why does a person have to be transferred multiple times to get mundane info, such a flight arrival time? Call Southwest and see many times you are tranferred. How much does it cost for the toll free number having persons hold from 5 minutes to infinity to get concerns addressed?

Art, thanks for bring these concerns to senior managment. Now you know how many front line employees feel. I hope they respond to you.

longing4piedmont said:
So far this year I'm just over 50 segments on DL. 4 on CO.  2 on the tidy bowl.  18 on US.  What does that tell you?
[post="259077"][/post]​
Tells me you're still flying U.

Question for longing4piedmont (or any other FF)

I have been wondering this since US & UAL filed for BK. Why do the FF people not cash in as many miles as possible when it appears that their carrier won't make it out? or are they already doing this?

(This question is not meant to be a "flame" post but viewed as a legitimate question I have)

In the past two years I've burned well over a million on US. For a long time I was earning them faster than I could use them. (who wants to fly some where after flying all week?) I'm down to under 200,000 now and trying to get them to under 100,000.

The real answer to your question however is I was never concerned about US until the past couple of months. As I said in another thread, the lipstick is gone. And I may very well not be back until Uncle Al is shown the door

Bear96 said:
Tells me you're still flying U.
[post="259079"][/post]​
Bear

Yes there have been 18 legs this year on US. 11 of them last week. But in my heart I'm just about gone.

I'm to the point that management has to show me something that they done with the three give backs from the employees. A good starting point would be showing Al the door. And to your point, I'm not sure I'm coming back.

Reads like a rant to me.

Seriously, give up, already. U is not investing in its brand or it FF program. Maybe they want to, but just can't; but I suspect they don't want to. U is transforming into something..... what is not clear to me. But it surely is a very risky and difficult task. There's just so much folks can concentrate on and Lakefield is a finance guy, not an operations guy. They're looking at cash for the moment and acquisition in the middle term or game over.

Surely, you can imagine the folks at CCY looking at what's in the 'in box' on any given day and then getting THIS letter!? Does catering to FF'rs result in a miniscule increase in cash compared to a fare sale?

I'm somewhere in the middle between Longing and KC on the loyalty program debate. Surely, FF programs are going to be less valued by frequent flyers as ticket prices come down. FF programs are going to change. That means some of you that have liked what you've gotten are not going to continue getting all that you liked. Sorry, that's what happens with change.

Art...

Nothing will change until we rid ourselves of the Senior Executive Vice President of Operations. He is the reason things have detoriated as much as they have.

I can only imagine of how things could have been.....

Goodbye Al Crellin.....you are our weakest link....

CCY could care less about any of this that is why U will be history in the near future!! They have the mentality that they are smarter than everybody else, they have it all figured out and need no ones input!! I was talking to a neighbor who is a CP customer and he was saying the exact same thing as Art, he was willing to put up with all the BS for a while but he is going to start flying other airlines, his number one complaint to me was how filthy our airplanes have gotten!! Rudeness of alot of F/A's, not all mind you and constant delays going thru Philly!! When you file Bankruptcy twice, gut your workforce, upset loyal customers and never take the blame for when things do go wrong you are asking for failure!! You can take all the newspaper adds out and have employees wear buttons but the skies are anything but clear for U!! You have to show leadership to turn this airline around and like I and so many others on this board have stated before this management team couldn't lead a one car funeral!! A perfect example of how inept this managment team is shows in their business plan, low fare carriers make money so we will become one, U now has the lowest wages in the industry still not making money, U farms out most maintenance, soon res, fleet service, still not making money! With fuel where it is alot of low fare carriers are probably going to lose money this year also. My point is U has never been an industry leader always a follower unless you consider gutting workforce and wages. You can't blame any of this on the workers every time, thats right everytime U has asked for give backs from it's employee's it has received it, it is managments job to take those give backs and turn the company around, the bottom line is they have failed miserably!!

Latest posts