Mileage Madness

NAPAUS

Veteran
Mar 30, 2003
Well US strikes again. Long story short, I have over 350,00 miles on US. I tired to redeem them and was told i have to pay $ 400 to reinstate the acct ( I DONT FLY US ANYMORE, FOR GOOD REASONS ). Now doesnt 400 $ seems absurd to reinstate an acct? Wouldn't tempe want to KEEP customs, bring them back if they have defected. What a frickin joke. US deserves to loose customers and go out of business.
So I bite the bullet and reinstated the acct. and hopefully can use the ileage to go to Europe in Envoy and be DONE with ever stepping foot on another US jet.
Now before all the kool-aid drinkers at US jump all over me, this policy does not exist on CO, AA, DL...its anominal fee to reinstate an acct./mileage. Why does US constantly and consistently screw its customers, as well as employees. US deserves to go out of business with these kind of policies.
If anyone else has had this happen I for one would sure love to hear about it!

:angry: :down:

Why do people like you wish for US Airways to go out of business. The people who would be hurt the most by that would be the hard-working employees. It is one thing to express your displeasure with the management of our airline, but to wish for its demise hurts the people who are just trying to make a living.

Seems as though you're not giving the whole story, NAP. Sorry you had to pay to redeem your miles, but why did you let them get away in the first place? Were you expecting the company to keep your records on file forever?

In any case, I hope you have a nice relaxing trip in Envoy. I'm sure our staff will take very good care of you. Remember to be appreciative if you enjoy the service.

I just have to ask why you would pay anything to redeem miles to fly on an airline that clearly does not meet your needs and expectations. Go fly Delta, American or Continental. We hate to loose a customer, but would rather have you go to another carrier than listen to you complain all the way across the pond. Please spend your time and money where you feel you get the best value, and let those miles go!

Have a safe and pleasant trip, no matter who you fly with, and have a Happy Holiday Season.

I agree with the sentiment in the replies. You shouldn't have let the miles expire. Since you hate US so much, I'd fly a different carrier. (I do not work for US. I've been flying US since 1999, Chairman's since 2000, and have 2+ million miles accrued. I still fly US.)

350,000 is a lot to lose, so now you know to do something to keep your account active within every 12 months. That can be as simple as buying something cheap from the skymall or redeeming points.

You never have to fly US again anyway. Use those points on a Star Alliance carrier where you'll get a lot more value (like LH or SQ)

Wait... so is this "reinstatement fee" a written policy of USAirways? If so, surely the fee was published on the website? I don't understand; you make it sound like this fee was a big surprise...

You made the choice to leave US like many others. You and others have defected because you do not like the way you are treated. You and many other here and on FT have made it clear on a public forum for which they read. Because of that you feel US should play nice with you because you want to use your last 35,000 miles? I don't think so. You made your bed. Now go sleep in it!!

I have to agree with many of the other posters here--it was well within your power to retain the mileage just by adding car rentals or other ancillary credits to your account. I go out of my way to give every other Avis rental to US so it extends by 18 months ( or 12 I think), the date of expiration for my 600,000 miles. Of course if I ever use them I will either give them away or use on another Star carrier, or give them to my daughter for shuttle flights, but that's another story.

That said, now that the miles are reinstated, I would use them as soon as you find practical, and move on.

I just have to ask why you would pay anything to redeem miles to fly on an airline that clearly does not meet your needs and expectations. Go fly Delta, American or Continental. We hate to loose a customer, but would rather have you go to another carrier than listen to you complain all the way across the pond. Please spend your time and money where you feel you get the best value, and let those miles go!

Have a safe and pleasant trip, no matter who you fly with, and have a Happy Holiday Season.
:eek: :eek: First of all, i WOULD never moan and complain to the crew. They have enough crap to contend with. FYI, I flew for 25 years and have( obviously ) the UTmost respect for cabin and flight crew. You missed the point, US needs to wake up ...soon! U are loosing LOTS of high paying customers so u cn fill the back with low fares.

350,000 is a lot to lose, so now you know to do something to keep your account active within every 12 months. That can be as simple as buying something cheap from the skymall or redeeming points.

You never have to fly US again anyway. Use those points on a Star Alliance carrier where you'll get a lot more value (like LH or SQ)
Thats my plan...hopefully LH. Its too bad because US used to be such a GREAt airline.
PS. Thanks for the positive response. Its quite clear that the rest of the posters are angry, if not angrier than I am. Its displaced on me and not on where it should be...THE FOOLS IN TEMPE!

. . . I have over 350,00 miles on US. I tired to redeem them and was told i have to pay $ 400 to reinstate the acct ( I DONT FLY US ANYMORE, FOR GOOD REASONS ). Now doesnt 400 $ seems absurd to reinstate an acct? . . .

I give you props for the mere act of posting your incredulous comment, but beyond that I have no clue why you even bother to ask. That plane left the gate a few years ago in case you missed the boarding call. This is not an episode of Lassie Come Home!

Barry