Mileage Plus - Frequent Flyier Status

ChuckO

Apr 24, 2009
Is United - mileage plus - discriminating against short haul frequent fliers?

I and my family have been United frequent fliers for over 50 years.

I have been flying for business for at least 3 weeks per month for the past 5 years. Most of these trips for the past 3 years have been on United. However, they are mostly short haul trips. DC - Chicago, DC - Toronto and DC- Ft. Lauderdale. Since United does not fly to Ft. Lauderdale I take either US Air or Jet Blue.

In 2007 I qualified for Premier and in 2008 Premier Executive. As business slowed during 2008 my travel was cut down and I missed Premier Executive by 5000 miles but I had 50 segments. The qualifications is 60 segments or 50,000 miles.

Here is what is upsetting:
I was offered to upgrade my status for $800.00. To buy 5000 miles. Our I could fly 15,000 miles in 3 months and still pay an additional $350.00.
I could back and forth to the west coast 5000 miles for under $300.00
I take short flights so it is impossible to get 15000 miles in 3 months
My flights to Toronto cost between $450 and $700 for a 1 hour flight

I sent a letter and email to Mileage Plus and the Executive VP in charge of Mileage Plus with my concerns and only get back a canned response. People can not think out the box.

I am in Washington DC and have a choice of 3 airports. Other than flying to Toronto I can fly to Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale and the West Coast with a variety of carriers, many at lower fares. Don't you think it would be advisable to do everything possible to keep the short haul frequent fliers that support United as customers and try to do everything possible to keep them. To make Premier Executive flying coast to coast would only take 10 or ll trips 20 -22 segments to get to 50,000 miles
Yet for the short all frequent flier it takes 60 segments or a typical 30 round trips. That is discrimination and showing that United is not really interested in the business traveler who files 2-3 weeks every month and typically pays more in air fares than the long distance traveler.

When business needs to keep current customers and find a way to add new customers it might be advisable to look to new marketing to build brand loyalty. Instead of having the requirement of 60 segments it could be set back to 50 segments or offer a bonus after so many short haul trips. An example would be the first 10 segments are worth 1, the next 10 segments are worth 1.25, the next 10 segments are worth 1.5 and anything over 40 segments is worth 2.

For 2009 I am Premier and it may be hard for me to even make this status for 2010 due to a reduction in my business travel due to the economy.

I would like to see what others feel about maintaining customers and who have been supporting United.

Chuck Osher

Requiring more segments than 10k mile increments is standard - US requires 50k miles or 60 segments to reach Gold status, 75k miles or 90 segments to reach Platinum, and 100k miles/120 segments to reach Chairman's. DL uses the same scheme, although I think they eliminated segment qualification but restored it after a backlash from short-haul flyers. AA is similiar - only their highest level requires the same 10k miles/segments - 100k miles/100 segments - while the lower two tiers work the same as UA, US, DL, AS, etc.

Jim

Jim thanks for the response. I know that this is standard for all the carriers. That does not mean it is a good business decision. Only that is the easy way out. Maybe the carriers should rethink what they need to do to get new and maintain customers

Chuck

May want to look at WN as they award by trip rather than distance which is better for short haul travelers.

Also AA allows status by segments flown