C17: VACANT
C18 & C19: US Airways/US Airways Express
C20 thru C25: AirTran

D27 thru D51: Frontier
D52: Southwest
D53 thru D55: Frontier
D56: Southwest

E60 & E61: VACANT
E62 & E63: United/United Express (Old Continental)
E64 thru E69: Delta

It should be noted that Milwaukee does not have one security checkpoint for access for all concourses which is a pain. My point to all this is, Frontier will be down to 7 Flights starting June 2012 and they don't require all 21 Gates they hold leases.

Frontier requires maybe 2 Gates now, so does Southwest move AirTran over to D-Concourse and takeover maybe 7 Gates on that Concourse? This would free up more gates on C-Concourse, so that United doesn't have split operations between E & C Concourses.

The other option would be to move AirTran out of C-Concourse over to D-Concourse and move Frontier from D-Concourse to C-Concourse, so that Southwest could have a majority and/or all of D-Concourse.

Any thoughts and/or rumors regarding Milwaukee?

MKE is becoming just like one of a number of cities where DL and WN manage to coexist. DL as a result of the NW merger is now the largest network carrier in MKE and WN is the largest low fare carrier.

DL just agreed to a one time mileage transfer for F9 EarlyReturns members to DL Skymiles, undoubtedly to help recapture some of the loyalty that DL gave up in the MKE market while F9, FL, and WN all battled it out. Now that the dust is setting, DL is ready to go back into MKE, esp. with its expanded presence in NYC.

It's your guess regarding the terminal... but alot of airports have far more capacity than necessary given consolidation and the decrease in air service based on higher ticket prices, which are related to higher fuel prices.

In Milwaukee (MKE), this is the current gate assignment for Air Carriers;

C9 & C11: United/United Express/Air Canada
C10 & C12: American/American Eagle/American Connection
C14 & C15: AirTran
C17: VACANT
C18 & C19: US Airways/US Airways Express
C20 thru C25: AirTran

D27 thru D51: Frontier
D52: Southwest
D53 thru D55: Frontier
D56: Southwest

E60 & E61: VACANT
E62 & E63: United/United Express (Old Continental)
E64 thru E69: Delta

It should be noted that Milwaukee does not have one security checkpoint for access for all concourses which is a pain. My point to all this is, Frontier will be down to 7 Flights starting June 2012 and they don't require all 21 Gates they hold leases.

Frontier requires maybe 2 Gates now, so does Southwest move AirTran over to D-Concourse and takeover maybe 7 Gates on that Concourse? This would free up more gates on C-Concourse, so that United doesn't have split operations between E & C Concourses.

The other option would be to move AirTran out of C-Concourse over to D-Concourse and move Frontier from D-Concourse to C-Concourse, so that Southwest could have a majority and/or all of D-Concourse.

Any thoughts and/or rumors regarding Milwaukee?

Rumor has it that SWA wants to grow at MKE. I would be willing to bet SWA will try to get any or all the gates abandoned by Frontier. I also think WT is hitting right as far as moving some carriers around for better efficiencies. This rumor was started by someone pretty high up. And remember Denver aircraft maint was a rumor 2 years ago. As long as this integration agreement is voted in, we get Den. maint. Gotta love those rumors, huh??

The Midwest/Frontier Hangers are up for Sale/Lease at MKE, so would WN try and grab them?

The Midwest/Frontier Hangers are up for Sale/Lease at MKE, so would WN try and grab them?
This question is interesting as WN decided to keep FL Line Mx in MKE for now. I suppose it will all depend on the cost obviously. As to your first question about gates, GK said Monday that in the new schedule coming out that more FL Flights in MKE will be switched over to WN metal. Depending on how many convert may determine how many gates each carrier needs. As the integration progresses you will probably see a lot of jockeying around before it is finally decided who ends up where.
QA

Never say never. SWA is getting large enough now to rethink where some maint. will be performed at. But I do know the company wanted no restrictions for current employees to be able to bid into MKE. It was stated by the company in certain meetings held prior to the AT aquasition. I feel pretty strongly that they do intend to do some growth there, just don't know how much or size of growth. It will get very interesting in the next 2-5 years...

Never say never. SWA is getting large enough now to rethink where some maint. will be performed at. But I do know the company wanted no restrictions for current employees to be able to bid into MKE. It was stated by the company in certain meetings held prior to the AT aquasition. I feel pretty strongly that they do intend to do some growth there, just don't know how much or size of growth. It will get very interesting in the next 2-5 years...
WN may be getting larger and rethinking plans of future Mx Bases but to place two, so close to each other seems a tad interesting, seeing how they chose to close IND. MDW & MKE? Remains to be seen how much WN grows MKE. About a two hour drive from MDW? DEN will be next of course but after that, as you say, it will get interesting. My guess is a lot will also depend on what transpires on the Int'l expansion in the next few years as well.
Cheers, QA

WN may be getting larger and rethinking plans of future Mx Bases but to place two, so close to each other seems a tad interesting, seeing how they chose to close IND. MDW & MKE? Remains to be seen how much WN grows MKE. About a two hour drive from MDW? DEN will be next of course but after that, as you say, it will get interesting. My guess is a lot will also depend on what transpires on the Int'l expansion in the next few years as well.
Cheers, QA

Would also like to add that the choice of maint locations are more than likely gonna be ATL and/or MCI. We have been hearing one if not both these cities will have to do some of the maint. when the aquasition is completed. They will be first. And your correct, I did not realize how close they were to each other up there. Maybe the expansions we are hearing about are for flights and line mechs only. Only time will tell.

Latest posts