More Club Closings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I was advised by one of our Club reps tonight that PBI/LAX/SFO clubs were going to be closed in 2 weeks. I havent seen anything from the company about the closures, but it probably isnt something they'd put out a press release on. How low can the clubs go before they do away with all of them or just have HUB CLUBS?

PBI isn't surprising, and LAX/SFO have been rumored for years now, since US has long been supposed to move to be with UA, and US claims it won't have room for new clubs.

Still sucks, especially since the LAX and SFO clubs were terrific, though I'm feeling less bad that I didn't renew my club membership this year.

tadjr said:
How low can the clubs go before they do away with all of them or just have HUB CLUBS?
[post="257627"][/post]​

IMHO if they close all clubs except for CLT and PHL (and perhaps LGA, BOS, DCA, PIT), US is asking to lose a lot of business. Business fliers in say, BUF, would have no incentive not to try to fly alternatives like SW and JB.

I wonder if the closures of LAX and SFO signal a transition over to UA terminals there... or could there big a bigger announcement coming?

jimcfs said:
IMHO if they close all clubs except for CLT and PHL (and perhaps LGA, BOS, DCA, PIT), US is asking to lose a lot of business. Business fliers in say, BUF, would have no incentive not to try to fly alternatives like SW and JB.

I wonder if the closures of LAX and SFO signal a transition over to UA terminals there... or could there big a bigger announcement coming?
[post="257636"][/post]​

News flash, except for those of us addicted to FF elite benefits, most business travelers already try SW and JB. And, US should move at LAX and SFO, and they might as well break the leases while in Chapter 11 to eliminte the expense altogether. Clubs in BOS, LGA, PHL, PIT, DCA, CLT and maybe a few other cities is really all that's needed. With Wi-Fi access airport-wide these days, I often see no real value in a Club membership, especially at US where they don't provide anything. NW provides free alcohol (beer, wine, spirits), snacks all day, continental breakfast in the morning, etc.; US provides nothing.

USFlyer said:
Clubs in BOS, LGA, PHL, PIT, DCA, CLT and maybe a few other cities is really all that's needed.
[post="257639"][/post]​

That's about all that's left. :p :down:

Besides the 6 hubs/focus cities, there'll be BDL, BUF, BWI, GSO, LGW, RDU, TPA.

I could see them closing at least GSO and TPA out of them.

They just closed IND, ROC, SYR; MCO is likely never to reopen; and they closed CLE, EWR a few years ago.

I object strenuously to the closure of more clubs. While I might understand LAX and SFO if they move to UA, PBI is always busy and has all its regulars. But then again smart decisions are not known to be made around here.....

Of course that would mean 7 clubs down---would you expect a reduction in club membership?? I would.....

are they still thinking about moving ops in lax/sfo to the ual side? they really should think about moving it at iad as well and moving ual to our gates in lga & bos

jimcfs said:
I wonder if the closures of LAX and SFO signal a transition over to UA terminals there...
[post="257636"][/post]​
SFO has been slated to go for a loooong time. The entire concourse is slated to be demolished once they finally finish renovating the old international terminal. I'll be sorry to see it go...I have fond memories of the smiling airplanes there. Yet another chapter in the destruction of PSA. *sigh* :(

Art at ISP said:
I object strenuously to the closure of more clubs. While I might understand LAX and SFO if they move to UA, PBI is always busy and has all its regulars. But then again smart decisions are not known to be made around here.....

Of course that would mean 7 clubs down---would you expect a reduction in club membership?? I would.....
[post="257664"][/post]​

I would think US would lose the business FF share of the transcon market by closing SFO/LAX clubs. What incentives would a FF have to fly US coast-to-coast now?

jimcfs said:
I would think US would lose the business FF share of the transcon market by closing SFO/LAX clubs. What incentives would a FF have to fly US coast-to-coast now?
[post="257803"][/post]​

Unless you live in PIT, PHL or CLT, why would any business traveler who commutes regularly to the west coast fly US now? With the F service cutbacks, schedule cutbacks, PHL mess, etc., I'm hard pressed to find anyone these days that goes out of their way to connect on US to get west. Along the east coast and to the Caribbean, yes, to the west coast, no.

its official . they just announced it today. lax/sfo/and pbi will close. the employees have been sent furlough packages. the mco club will not reopen. the reasoning for the lax and sfo closures were because the company will be moving to the united terminals later this year. it was annouced on 1-800-USDAILY

Art at ISP said:
And the reason for the closure of PBI is what? They will lose more customers there too---say hello to Jet Blue (for others).

They just don't get it.....

I am joining RCC.
[post="257828"][/post]​
don't know man , just don't know <_<

i think us should open a club in sju. i know its wishfull thinking but we have many flts down there

jimcfs said:
[post="257803"][/post]​

Well it sure isn't the prospect of getting a "crappy meal" in F on a transcon.
What is becoming apparent is that they are going to become a very large commuter airline--the whole thing will be some form of an express carrier. They will do away with all the amenities frequent business travelers want, and go chasing the once a year travelers with those ridiculous $29-$49 fares.

I can't believe it......I may actually have to follow my friend Longing4Piedmont to the dark side (DL).

So without clubs and decent meal service, what possible reason does a business traveler have to fly US on a transcon??? NONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.