More Excuses

CaptBud330

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
"Siegel recently told employees that revenue was not improving at the pace the airline had hoped."
Hmmm, AmericaWest revenue improved, Continental's improved, Southwest's improved, Alaska improved. I wonder what the difference is.
Could it be those companies have management that can manage instead of making excuses?
Maybe Dave your business model is flawed. Did it ever dawn on you the high yeild business flier you say we need may NEVER return? Dave, poor Dave. You are running this company like it's 1995 again. It isn't working. HELLO Dave!!! Anybody in there.
Sincerely,
Frustrated and Angry

if we arent meeting the kind of revnues that we're suppose to meet, could it be that maybe we need to bring the mainline jets back into large cities such as atl and may be get into the west coast more like may be tucson or smf??

All you hear from management when there's a loss is, "We have to make more cuts". I hate to tell them but there's nothing left to cut. They have cut all there is to cut. What management is refusing to do is look at increasing revenues.

If you want to charge a premium price you need to offer a premium product. The draconian cuts, especially in F are literally driving customers away. It's embarrassing.

You all know my slogan, It's the Fares, Stupid. Well it is. The pricing system is broken, and no one seems to want to fix it. I have said repeatedly that it can be done--America West did it not long ago, and they made a PROFIT last quarter. American did it in select markets, and have announced they are going to do more of it soon, and they made a PROFIT. So there goes the argument that they can't do it because their costs are higher than America West--American's costs are higher than U's if I am not mistaken, yet they did it. And AA invented yield management if I recall correctly.

A rational fare structure would increase revenues and help profitability much more than further cuts. It's okay to raise the bottom of the fare bucket, AS LONG AS you offer a superior product. People will pay a LITTLE more for better service. As I said in another thread, I have heard from within that if the bottom fares could be raised $20, the top fares could be lowered $300. SO DO IT. The company appears to value the once a year priceline flier more than they do us frequent fliers. The member of the priceline crowd is the loudest and most disruptive passenger during irregular ops--he threatens to have agents fired, wags his finger in the face of the agents (I have seen this and intervened on behalf of the employees), and causes more commotion than any frequent flier that I know. I say let them go to the LCC's. Fix the fare structure for those of us who fly on your airline EVERY WEEK. You'd be amazed how fast revenues would perk up.

The management seems to want to fight the groups they need the most to succeed--the employees and the Preferred Member. Its almost like they want to fail....

I sound like a broken record, and apologize. I have repeatedly said that US has the tools--the best employees in the industry, the routes (for now), and the potential to make it all work--NOW DO IT.

My best to you all.

In addition to the excellent posts on this thread. The Machinist have brought many good ideas on cost savings and doing certain repairs in house for a lower cost, but this lack of managment team has cosistently refused to hear any of this.
They also continue to lie about doing 3rd party work. Well hears one for Dave, who appears to worry what the IAM employees who will be recalled will do in the intervening time between the accomplishment of the first 10 Airbus A/C and the next batch ( some 8 months? ). Why not do Airbus 3rd party it would keep them working and suppliment our bottom line. :up: :up: :up:

It just amazes me that CCY and Dave are crying the "losing money again blues"! IMHO, Dave's term is finished. He has accomplished absolutely nothing after BK. There are no talented managers in CCY with enough actual frontline background to turn this airline around. Why did CCY see need to staff a non-operational MDA through the BK period? Money down the drain. Why does CCY think there is no need to have RJ's at Allegheny and Piedmont when instead of operating 2 companies with 2 sets of mgnt doing the same thing? The only good decision was to establish SSO at MDT for admin. functions. This is a good business decision. CCY needs to start making more of them independant of any consulting firms. Also, more transatlantic markets need opened. Instead of suspending SNN and DUB service, just offer it a few days of the week, until peak season returns. There is a huge Irish contingent in PHL and NYC that would be grateful of the non-stop svc and use it on a regular basis. The fare structure needs to be rationalized extensively. USAirways should take the lead with this and show the industry how simple it is to make your customer happy. Do not make it tough to have someone give you their money and also do not make it difficult for them to get it back if they do not fly. Penalties should apply, but a total NR fare should be eliminated. Focus on how to get your customer to come back again and again not with FF perks, but just good old-fashioned quality customer service. I also like how CCY has put their Directors and families on postive space travel status but not include the same at the W/O's. Remeber folks, what goes around comes around, every time!

David. this is an airline. It isn't a car rental agency, it isn't a term project for college.

You have lost your abaility to lead. I't time for you to leave. Goodbye....oh and by the way...take your $6 million team with you.

T-Bone

I agree. We..as employees...have also looked at INsoursing 3rd party work.
It can be done and a good buck earned. Problem is you need management that
thinks outside the box. We have management that thinks math problems,
statistics, and corporate war games.

How do you get around that.

By not learning from past mistakes we are doomed to repeat them!

Frontier69 said:
It just amazes me that CCY and Dave are crying the "losing money again blues"! IMHO, Dave's term is finished. He has accomplished absolutely nothing after BK. There are no talented managers in CCY with enough actual frontline background to turn this airline around.
We've seen them come and we've seen them go! CEO seems to be a temporary position while the employees just keep trudging along. Let's just hope there is enough left of this company to survive when decent leadership finally arrives.

I don't think Dave cares about revenues. I get the feeling that he's trimming the fat and trying to make us attractive for a sale. Just think, where would Dave make the most income for himself, from his yearly salary or a sale with all kinds of bonuses and options. Didn't Wolf and Gangwal just do that? If your looking for motives just follow the money. :angry:

Seatacus said:
I don't think Dave cares about revenues. I get the feeling that he's trimming the fat and trying to make us attractive for a sale. Just think, where would Dave make the most income for himself, from his yearly salary or a sale with all kinds of bonuses and options. Didn't Wolf and Gangwal just do that? If your looking for motives just follow the money. :angry:
I agree. Although, I have to admit, that 'sale' might not be the end result. I DO agree that it does not appear that U management is anticipating the continuation of the USAirways brand. A super regional, with select mainline routes, suitable for combination with another carrier(s). But not under the US Airways brand.

Frontier 69 said "The fare sturcture needs to be rationlized extensively".

I believe that U and other majors had experiemented with this aspect on a small scale in a few cities and they have not implemented this strategy company which tells me that it is not economically sustainable to them since the cost of operating a hub is more complex than flying point to point routes. However I do agree with you that something needs to be done not only with pricing but with the product since U's management must have a service that passengers cannot get anywhere else because you can always copy the price but not the product (in some cases).

Frontier 69 also suggested that U starts operating flights through out the year even though it may be the off season. I agree but I believe U could achieve this by doing this with their 757's (if they have the engines to do it) and this would cut capacity.

if this thing regarding a sale is or should say comes true, wouldnt say northwest or continental be better off buying us rather than ual? I'm just curious.