More F/A''s being Furloughed...

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
As of Sept 1st, 170 more F/A''s are getting the ax. Vol. Furlough # 7 is out and ready for bid.
It never ends....

USA330 flyboy,

Remember you stated in a previous thread that flight reductions, as you were told, would not cause a furlough, and remember, I corrected you. You said you got your info from the MEC Officers. I told you that the reserve implementation would pose a furlough all in itself....just with that implementation.

Well, if the flight reductions are supposedly temporary, then why not offer a VLOA (month to month voluntary leave of absence) and no furlough except the furlough that will need to happen for December returnees?

This management has more cards up their sleeve then they will show the employees. Don't trust them.....don't think I ever did.

PITBull:

I think I said the MEC had not been officially notified of furloughs a few weeks ago but they did say it was completely possible. The bank of flights being reduced was not supposed to cut further jobs...ACCORDING to one of our VP''s in an article a few weeks ago.

I didn''t fall off the turnip truck yesterday and I have my eyes wide open. They are shaking the trees aimlessly to try and shake loose some people. On top of that you can only take a minimum of 2 years leave to save a JR persons job. What''s the harm in offering 1 year or 6 months?

USA330,

This mangement continues to make drastic decisions that effect severly the stability of the employee. They have no regard for "human existence" and the human element.

There is no end to this.....

We will get answers from this mangement on the logic behind what they are doing. There is no incentive for employees to take a furlough that offers no benefit in medical in order for them to move ahead and look for other work that is more "life sustaining".

And now, what of the December returnees? What kind of a fall out will that have, and the displacement issue? The PIT f/as who were displaced are being tracked and travel logs being pulled to see if they are in base when on duty..even if they take their trip awards out on time...what ignorance on mangement not to see the financial impact to their junior employees who can no way sustain themselves in Pittsubrgh on the cuts, let alone pay to move themselves, secure an additional deposit for a commuter pad, then only to possibly get displaced again in December. I swear all of mangement needs to be "drug tested" or they are just "satists". Having morale so low, with no relaxation of these strict reserve policies, just shows you how punitive this mangement is to their employees who suffer every day, specifically the bottom half.

AFA will be sticking to the word of the contract for displacement expense money...there is no more relief for this mangement as the medical they are offering in the VFs are what is contractual. We now will "default" from the side letter to the contract's very word. There will be no one sided relief in the future for mangement.

PITBull:
You might as well file the grievance now. Our past MEC president gave them our moving expense money for a 1 use (AKA VF1) and now, it''s become practice every time they cut.
December will be a nightmare! They are going to displace for OCT with this 170 people leave and then!.....oh goodie...and then expect us to move with no moving expenses from the company!...THEN come DEC a massive furlough will occur and we will either be sent to MidAtlatic or displaced from a place we just finished moving too! Is a riot and rediculous. They are making it such a nightmare that they hope people will quit.
Believe me....I am living it. It''s a nightmare I can''t wake up from.

Honestly, I don''t see any incentive for many flight attendants to sign up for this one. 21 months minimum duration, with only 90 days of health and dental? These VF packages keep getting worse and worse.

ex,

Good question. I believe mangagement stated back in May that the 4 month furlough was offered (with no extention allowed) because they said that the f/as would be needed. Do you remember that reasoning. What I don't get is why they just don't offer the 4 month folks an extension....why not?

Only thing I can think when I try to think like this mangement is that they want longer furloughs, or folks just to quit. The Dec. returnees will prove a nightmare for more Involuntary furloughs as well as major displacing. These new furloughs that are being offered are NOT in the "spirit" of the summer concession to offer enhanced vol. furloughs to save jobs at the bottom for as long as possible. Look what this mangement has done to all of us.

When we gave the company everything we had to save the company, we did not agree for our own, personal demise. Hell, we should have let the BK judge take what they wanted, no agreement in hand. At least it would have been legal to do a job action. And if they threaten to liquidate....what's the difference now...we are all just doomed to a fate of Mid Atalantiic. Too bad we didn't have "foresight".

Slowly, I truly believe all mainline will be regional flying until we are sold.

That's what my mind tells me.Will there be another furlough? Absolutely.

I wonder if VF7 takes into account the 135 returning from the four month VF on September 30, and if not, should one expect VF8 to be offered?

The bottom line is this team has no plans of running this airline. They have every intention of "bare boning" this airline in order to merge.. The same crap wolf and gang was doing before they left.The lean mean fighting machine that we were to be after emerging from BK isnt happening . Were spinning in the wind and waiting while other airlines get their money and airline in order, We have an advantage now with the cuts made and this team isnt using them..

Pittbull, sadly I beleive every thing you stated here is gospel. I for one did not sign up for my own demise. We have all been taken. It''s still not to late to band together and at least get a little satisfaction from all this.

Pitbull
You are so right in that its going to be a mess in dec! I call it
one big cluster F***!!! Lets say for instance midatlantic
calls back flight attendants to start training in nov and they finish
there two week training or however long it will take. Your now
employed by midatantic....but oh wait! We have a tone of flight attendants
coming back in DEC which will cause more layoffs in mainline. So now
those furloughed mainelines will be put in midatlantic and because they
are senior to the "fresh out of training" f/a''s of midatlantic oh well....i hope they enjoyed their one month with midatlantic because they have
now been bumped back to being on furlough due to over staffing. This
is going to be one big nightmare!!!

Pitbull,

There have been many times when I have read your posts and have not agreed, however, you are absolutely dead-on with this subject. You and the flight attendant group have my whole-hearted support.

I have been furloughed for almost 2 years now. (I was originally one of the 490 or so Terminated Probationary Flight Attendants). At the time, I couldn''t understand how rigid and unflexible the more senior flight attendants seemed about concessions, and shocked that they didn''t place enough value on saving their own job.

Well, that time has now come and gone, and the flight attendants (along with the other Labor Groups) gave and gave. With what result? Management still bungling and closing down cities and/or "expressing" them while other carriers continue to add flights and frequencies. Remember Dave''s road shows where he needed co-operation to do what was best for US? We have to go through a tough time before we can grow? YEAH RIGHT! Remember "freeing up larger aircraft on unprofitable routes so they can be used on longer, thinner, routes to the west (like Albuquerque, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, San Jose, CA, Salt Lake City, Sacramento???)"

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! DON''T GIVE MANAGEMENT ANYTHING ELSE! They clearly don''t know what to do with what has already been given them. I thought being a memeber of the Star Alliance was supposed to ENHANCE our flying and profits, NOT give it away to the other * Members!

Pitbull...you and the rest...stand and fight! Don''t give management a THING! It''s clear to me I''ll NEVER fly for US again. If they threaten to shut it down again...call their bluff, who even cares at this point? If they took anymore it wouldn''t even be worth it...but know this: you all are in my thoughts and have my support.

Best wishes.

Here''s another worry for January when our new Global Bid goes into effect: How many f/a''s now on the 75 hour option are going to be opting for 85 hour option? How many more will be furloughed because of that?

Dea

Dea,

I heard and spoke to many f/as who are going back to school, and who are talking about getting another job or looking for another job to leave U.

I am of the hope that there will be enough that acutually keep things status quo at the very least or go DOWN their option in order to pursue other ventures. I had high hopes for the furlough, and even thought of taking one myself, but the VFs are no longer enhanced in any way, infact, are much worse than any had expected even from this kind of mangement. Unfortunately, we have many f/as who were to return off VF1 two years ago as the medical will be over, along with other returnees from other furloughs, too.

The displacing will be a night mare, and we will be battling displacement expense reinbursement for our f/as that our langugage speaks to.

AFA MEC meeting is over, and I will place on Aviation the new resolution that was written and adopted by all the members of the MEC. IT WAS UNANIMOUS and sends a message to mangement that the f/as are sick of this mangement violating jour contracts in spite of our sacrifices, and we are coming at you...KITCHEN SINK AND ALL IN YOUR FACE!