More Flights=More Work

ualflynhi

Advanced
Nov 19, 2002
Reuters
United to Reinstate 162 Flights in June
Thursday May 15, 10:04 am ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Bankrupt United Airlines said on Thursday that in June it would reinstate most of the domestic and transatlantic flights it had cut in April and May, when the war in Iraq curbed travel demand.
But the No. 2 U.S. carrier behind American Airlines said in a recorded message to employees that it was still seeing weakness in some Pacific markets because of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and would extend reductions in service on some Pacific routes into the summer.

On June 12, the UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) unit will add 162 mainline flights to its schedule -- including additional service to Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle and a number of other U.S. and international cities.

United said it plans to operate 1,722 daily mainline domestic and international flights in June, up from 1,560 in May.

The airline also said it would reinstate nonstop service between San Francisco and Seoul in June after suspending it as part of its post-Sept. 11 service cutbacks.

The heavier schedule will result in changes to flight numbers and departure times that will affect more than 1 million customer bookings, United said. The company said it will notify those customers with changes to their itineraries beginning this week.

It is good to see the airlines starting to bring back more flights.
It would be great to see them bring back more employees too, but these flights might fit into the schedule without more help and increase productivity.
When this happens the bottom line gets a little better.
I am not clear of your intent on your topic, but I am sure this is what you meant.
Good luck Ual.

FYI:

I was sifting through the Washington Post today and noticed that United (mainline) is having an open house at the IAD Hilton (assuming recruitment is for the IAD/DCA airports) for Mechanics, Customer Service CSRs, Res agents, Supervisors, etc. I guess this is WONDERFUL news considering the long and endless hiring freeze UA has been under for the past 2 years. I guess those early retirements came quicker than we all thought.

UA is shoving higher paid employees out the door via retirement and layoff/furlough. New hires will have a starting salary slightly above minimum wage and a 10 year progression to reach top pay.

----------------
On 5/18/2003 11:03:46 PM DB Cooper wrote:

UA is shoving higher paid employees out the door via retirement and layoff/furlough. New hires will have a starting salary slightly above minimum wage and a 10 year progression to reach top pay.

----------------​
DB, do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

New hires are definitely higher than "minimum wage"....and, FYI, they don''t layoff/furlough the higher paid employees, they start at the bottom....... and where did you come up with a 10 year progression to reach top pay???? First 5 years is "B" scale, each year progresses until you hit the 14 year mark.

Maybe you should try to do your homework just a wee bit before you hit the boards with so much misinformation.

New hire ramp employees will make approx. $9 per hour, and will have a 10 year pay progression. Not a lot more than minimum. And, are all the cargo employees junior? Many of the most senior employees were forced out or had to pay a lot more in insurance. so WHO EXACTLY IS UNEDUCATED, HERE?

----------------
On 5/19/2003 12:18:06 AM Fly wrote:

New hires are definitely higher than "minimum wage"....and, FYI, they don''t layoff/furlough the higher paid employees, they start at the bottom.......

----------------​

As far as Mechanics go there were no "higher paid" employees - everyone was on ''A'' scale. There are probably close to about 4,000 of them out on furlough right now so explain to me what United is doing holding a job fare for "new hires".

It appears that the numbers are not flocking to man the OSV''s like they wanted. There will be trouble getting the work done and UAL has burned alot of it''s bridges. Somebody up there really screwed the pooch on this one.

Supposedly, the maint. spots are either for ground equipment, or a mistaken listing. Whichever your fav. conspiracy. I think its just more poor management with a tin ear for publicity.