More Hawaiian Competition Shuts Down

PHX PHLyer

Advanced
Nov 22, 2006
ATA has ended all services (scheduled and charter) effective immediately. ATA was a significant player from PHX and LAS to Hawaii, competing directly with US, and also from various west coast cities to Hawaii, competing indirectly with US via Southwest codeshares. When ATA started LAS-Maui, US ended that route, though it never seemed to perform too well to begin with. Is this an opportunity for US, given that direct competition with TZ.

Could it also be another way to acquire fairly new ETOPS 757s?

It's sad to see airlines shut down. First Aloha, then Champion, then Sun Country furloughs, and now ATA is gone. But it's good that the marketplace is playing out and the losers are exiting. It should give immediate relief to all airlines flying to the islands and elsewhere.

what is scary is the Phoenix - Honolulu route has about a 90% load factor for ATA --- US should seriously consider getting more of TZ' "etops" birds and using them -- plus I think the guys on the west should get some more mainline growth, which I know has been a sticking point as the east has been growing while west is shrinking :(

No matter how much these employees knew their company was having trouble, I'm sure they are shocked :eek: , saddened, frightened and left with the wind out of their sail. We must all support them and be thankful we are still employed and have our medical, dental benefits and a source of income to feed our familes.

Please give them your thoughts. :)

Another reason the company should be pushing for one contract. 330's or 767's could be deployed to handle the extra traffic.
So what will fly to Europe then?

There are no spare widebodies in US' Fleet.

It's sad to see airlines shut down. First Aloha, then Champion, then Sun Country furloughs, and now ATA is gone. But it's good that the marketplace is playing out and the losers are exiting. It should give immediate relief to all airlines flying to the islands and elsewhere.

Heaven forbid ATA file bk on numerous occasions lowering the bar for everyone else... almost like you know who

ATA currently has:
6: 757-200
4: 757-300

I'd bet money the 757-300's go to Continental. They've openly stated they don't have enough 757's to meet demand and would be open to buying more. IIRC, ATA has Rolls-Royce engines so Northwest wouldn't want them. FedEx only wants fresh -200 models for freighter conversion. There will be a war for the 6 -200's available.

Regardless, whoever owns those planes will definitely be in a good position to sell them. 10 Late model 757's don't come available that quickly, typically. It will certainly be fun to watch where they end up.

The 4 757-300 delivered to ATA in 2003, the 6 757-200 delivered to ATA between 1995 and 1998.

So what will fly to Europe then?

There are no spare widebodies in US' Fleet.

We've been flying a 767 from phl to cun that could be used to Hawaii. Not sure if an east crew is allowed though and the 767 only gives us 14 more seats than the 757. Maybe we could add flights. Three flights per day to HNL and two to the other islands.

And where does it orginate and go?

And they keep them on the east coast as a spare plane.

Also ATA has slots leased to AirTran, I think because AT doesn't own them, they will go back to the airport authority. I believe they leased 8 FedExslots to LGA and 2 to DCA. I would think the 757-200 will be a bidding war between FedEx and US

Latest posts