More revenue, More seats...

I doubt it'll be as big a deal as they make it out to be. Although they don't say, I think they'll be reducing, or maybe even eliminating, MCE to get the seats back. We've been through this before.

MK

jim, Hold on a minute. Did any of you catch this part?

"American won’t lay off employees if the 417 efficiency projects it has on tap reveal some parts of the company are overstaffed, Parker said. Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan," he said.

“That’s really important to us,” Parker said in an interview. “We need efficiency, but not if efficiency disrupts progress with our team.”

Didn't mean to take the focus away from the seat pitches and revenue, but, that kind of startled me. Any thoughts on how deep this may go? I also noticed the option of "early retirement plan", jim, I believe you could entertain this could you not?

"American won’t lay off employees if the 417 efficiency projects it has on tap reveal some parts of the company are overstaffed, Parker said. Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan," he said.

“That’s really important to us,” Parker said in an interview. “We need efficiency, but not if efficiency disrupts progress with our team.”

Didn't mean to take the focus away from the seat pitches and revenue, but, that kind of startled me. Any thoughts on how deep this may go? I also noticed the option of "early retirement plan", jim, I believe you could entertain this could you not?

You should love this even more.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/28/ame...hink-were-ever-going-to-lose-money-again.html

Reactions: swamt

I love the fact we live in an age where someone in their 70s can think about an early retirement, makes me feel like a puppy. Think about it, Jim's about the right age to make a run for president

Maybe weez can answer this. IF, is a big word. So if they don't who will get laid off?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ns-new-tightest-ever-coach-seats-really-like/

They’re not removing seats from the plane to stay at 30 inches, they’re going to take away a row of Main Cabin Extra seats which have more legroom. So there will be fewer seats on the plane where you can escape tight seating. Oh and they’re shrinking the lavatories too.

They’re using slimline seats with less padding, so your legroom won’t actually suffer (just, potentially, your back and your bum)

The seats don’t recline as much (2 inches versus the current 4 inches) so your personal space gets protected

They’ve also managed to widen the seats half an inch by fitting each row more snugly against the windows.

20170928_155530.jpg

20170928_155543-1.jpg

I grabbed the parts I thought were important in this article.

They need to stop designing these damn seats like were all 4 foot tall.

I love the fact we live in an age where someone in their 70s can think about an early retirement, makes me feel like a puppy. Think about it, Jim's about the right age to make a run for president
You're right about the fact that any retirement (for me) could hardly be called an early retirement. As of 3 days ago I'm closer to my 73rd birthday than I am to my 72nd. But, I'm still enjoying the job, and I'm good at it; so, why retire? My wife and I had plans to retire at the first opportunity (financially) and spend the rest of our days traveling. And, that was long before I went to work for an airline. Unfortunately, she died of cancer 20 years ago in April at the age of 51. Traveling alone is not that much fun.

As far as running for President, not a chance. However, if you want to talk elevating me to King in a divine right monarchy, maybe. But, it would have to be absolute. Otherwise, that possibility of an early retirement plan is intriguing. I'm assuming a good size lump of cash would be involved. I'm easy. I'm not cheap, but I am easy.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ns-new-tightest-ever-coach-seats-really-like/

They’re not removing seats from the plane to stay at 30 inches, they’re going to take away a row of Main Cabin Extra seats which have more legroom. So there will be fewer seats on the plane where you can escape tight seating. Oh and they’re shrinking the lavatories too.

They’re using slimline seats with less padding, so your legroom won’t actually suffer (just, potentially, your back and your bum)

The seats don’t recline as much (2 inches versus the current 4 inches) so your personal space gets protected

They’ve also managed to widen the seats half an inch by fitting each row more snugly against the windows.

20170928_155530.jpg

20170928_155543-1.jpg

I grabbed the parts I thought were important in this article.

They need to stop designing these damn seats like were all 4 foot tall.
The lighter they make the seats the easier they break, they are still a 16 g seat, that's just the structure to stay in the seat track, but that doesn't cover all the cheap plastic parts!

Maybe weez can answer this. IF, is a big word. So if they don't who will get laid off?

swamt the item you yourself posted said NOTHING about "layoffs"

To be "laid off" is an implication of an action not wanted and forced on someone to prevent them from continuing to be employed by a Company and collect a paycheck for work performed.

""""""Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan," he said.""""""""

swamt the item you yourself posted said NOTHING about "layoffs"

To be "laid off" is an implication of an action not wanted and forced on someone to prevent them from continuing to be employed by a Company and collect a paycheck for work performed.

""""""Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan," he said.""""""""

Weez, I did not post the article itself, Metal did in the #1 post of this thread, I will repost his post below where the paragraphs do in fact say lay offs:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-to-add-more-seats-in-1-4-billion-sales-push

It is also what I took from Metal's post and posted just that particular paragraph as I will again below:

American won’t lay off employees if the 417 efficiency projects it has on tap reveal some parts of the company are overstaffed, Parker said. Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan, he said.
It clearly states "lay off employees" in first 5 words. Not sure where your getting that it did not say that.

Weez, I did not post the article itself, Metal did in the #1 post of this thread, I will repost his post below where the paragraphs do in fact say lay offs:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-to-add-more-seats-in-1-4-billion-sales-push

It is also what I took from Metal's post and posted just that particular paragraph as I will again below:

American won’t lay off employees if the 417 efficiency projects it has on tap reveal some parts of the company are overstaffed, Parker said. Options could include attrition, reassigning workers to other jobs or establishing an early retirement plan, he said.
It clearly states "lay off employees" in first 5 words. Not sure where your getting that it did not say that.

Right. Read Parker states that American "WILL NOT" lay off any employees if there is an overage of headcount due to efficiencies.

If there really are 417 areas that they recognize could be run more efficiently and they implement those changes, then of course there will be more overall Workers throughout the Company than needed.

That's also doesn't mean just one specific workgroup that "could" wind up being effected.