More Strange Midatlantic Happenings

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Received this today from CWA. Sounds like something is up once again, just not sure what......

9/11/2003

Feedback from 9/10 CWA-Management meeting, Part I of III

Management's Mysterious MidAtlantic Message:

Is MDA faltering before it is launched? - At our 9/10 meeting CWA'ers proposed to Labor Relations management that we meet next week to wrap up the remaining MDA Passenger Service contract issues (primarily seniority questions). We're still trying to understand the meaning of their reply: they refused to meet, giving the following reasons:
*there are now big questions and unresolved issues regarding MidAtlantic;
*there are no plans to hire employees in the foreseeable future therefore no need to negotiate an agreement;
*there are critical, unresolved issues that make it impossible to proceed.
CWA'ers asked numerous questions like, "What are you talking about? Please be more specific." Their replies were like fortune cookie messages: "There are serious issues and the outcome is uncertain."
We're wondering if this is another corporate crisis, but we really don't have a clue what management was trying to tell us - we'll continue to ask our questions higher up the food chain to try to get some clarity.

CWA Local Officers and Staff

For the complete report visit the CWA Passenger Service website: www.cwa.net

I have no inside info, but given the past history of US Airways and there treatment of there employees, this doesn't look good. I hope it is just some kinda of bluff :unsure: .
-Cape

ps Wanted to thank the wonderful crew for the ride home from DEN is morning.

Did I read somewhere that some of the new RJs violate the pilot's scope clause regarding the weight of the aircraft? I heard they are thousands of pounds over the limit and the pilots refuse to give on this without renegotiating the contract. Also, another twist is the outcome of the negotiations on PIT airport with the politicos. Again, can't plan a new airline if you don't have a home. And you can't plan on passengers if the fleet violates scope clause because it means you can't put passengers on the new RJs. Also, could the Midway threat be playing here. Yes folks, just another fine example of the stellar management style at US Airways.

Please understand that this is only an unconfirmed rumor, from an undisclosed source, but does seem to possibly account for some of these strange happenings.

It seems now that RSA or the man from Alabama is in control, there are second thoughts about wasting the funds to start another wholley-owned airline (even though it's being pushed as a division of the mother company,) as US Airways already owns three.

Take it for what it's worth......................... :eek:

OldpropGuy said:
Please understand that this is only an unconfirmed rumor, from an undisclosed source, but does seem to possibly account for some of these strange happenings.

It seems now that RSA or the man from Alabama is in control, there are second thoughts about wasting the funds to start another wholley-owned airline (even though it's being pushed as a division of the mother company,) as US Airways already owns three.

Take it for what it's worth......................... :eek:
A lot of us have been wondering the same thing! Let's hope this is all the issue is -- it would seem like this could be resolved in some way.

Hmm, a/c too big for the scope clause with mainline, no home airport, sent F/A tainers home, just what is the plan and who is at the helm of this rudderless ship?
Couldn't help but notice that Republic hired some former airline heavy weights in the upper management levels. The recent T/A with the Teamsters the press mentioned plans for Republic to fly 170's for United. Is it me or does anyone smell something here? Maybe I should look at the grassy knoll but something seems to be up, just read between the lines. :huh:

wait a minute..what about all the firm orders with the rj companies?you just don't break contracts without it costing you.
maybe bronners getting antsy with the upcomming mechanic showdown.

Yeah, I agree....it all looks kinda fishy....I'm reading between the lines too, and have been for awhile..and I must say..something is up, but, of course the employees will be the last to know...that's a given. :(

Two days ago, I had the manager of Tech Pubs for Midatlantic ride on my flight PIT to RDU. He was very upbeat and said things were progressing nicely at midatlantic.

Two weeks before that, I had the director of EMB 170 ground school ride on my flight from PIT to EVV. He was also upbeat.

Both of these guys were very friendly and went out of their way to talk to a lowly Express crew. Also, both guys gave me their bussiness cards without me asking.

-----------------------------------
delldude wrote:

Posted: Sep 12 2003, 04:46 AM

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1,176

wait a minute..what about all the firm orders with the rj companies?you just don't break contracts without it costing you.
maybe bronners getting antsy with the upcomming mechanic showdown.
------------------------------------

I'll wait that minute. These guys seem to get a kick out of breaking contracts.

And yes, I think that they are starting to realize that breaking the Mechanics Contract is going to cost them. (As well as the rest of us!)

I have heard that the Alabama boys don't want to spend the money to start up MidAtlantic, because Group already has 3 Wholly Owned carriers that could field the equipment at a much cheaper cost then spending millions on MDA.
There's been meetings with the Mainline MEC, Wholly Owns, and ALPA.. So something is going on. And remember US Airways is not even close to out of the woods yet..
:( Enjoy this great profession we have chosen!

US Airways has 85 EMB-170s financed for delivery that is an aircraft that Siegel said was "revolutionary" with a break even load factor of about 50%. Check Airman and Pilot Ground Schoold training is being conducted in PIT and a prototype aircraft made a US Airways tour this week.

I believe Siegel could be scaring Pittsburgh government officials with a third-party FUD comment just before the 6-hour PIT hub meeting on Wednesday. In my opinion, the timing of the CWA comments are suspect.

Respectfully,

Chip

Why dont they just put the EMB170s at the three owned Expresses? That way they could get more aircraft (for example if each carrier was recieving two a month they could have 70 or so in a year) plus they could get more of us back to work quicker. Each carrier could have one hub as a base- ALG/PHL, PDT/CLT, PSA/PIT, this would also help the furoughed people who dont want to go to PIT and make us more likely to accept employment. Plus, I'd think that would give the flight attendants a chance to renegotiate from that insulting American Eagle contract- I have a friend whos former Allegheny who says the AL contract is better than AEs... you know something is wrong with a company when they pay new hires more to work a prop than they pay a four year, laid off mainline employee to work a dual class jet... but I digress.

The Embraer ramp up could be so much quicker by placing them at existing carriers rather than wasting money to start up yet another airline, get new facilities, personell etc. It certainly doesnt look like they are doing much with Allegheny, Piedmont, or the Dashes anyway, so why not take advantage of perfectly good air certificates? Later down the road they could merge it and call it whatever they like, but for now, the plane is nearly ready, and against all odds they have laid off employees, some gone two years already, who give two hoots about the company and are eagerly awaiting a call. They need to get thier act together.

Latest posts