More Waste Of Money

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Why did we have a 737 aircraft sitting in Heavy waiting for an anti-skid control test equipment box when 4 of them are in Mobile Alabama? Tough to do your job when you don’t have the tools. Who’s running this show?

Did you know we had two APU vendors? Well we just dropped one because they couldn’t keep up and their APU’s were coming back incomplete or wrong. What took us so long to find this out? Are we getting a refund for their bad work? Why did this work ever leave in the first place? We had the best APU shop in the industry!

We have 7 IDG’s at the vendor, but we robbed all the IDG’s in PIT Heavy for the line. Why do we work twice to accomplish one job? We need parts not excuses. Shouldn’t one of the many managers in Heavy and elsewhere take a look at this problem? We’re sure we could spare a few…there’s plenty to go around.

Do you really think we need 1 manager and 2 supervisors on daylight to “monitor the cleanliness†of hangar 5? There’s about 7 utility on daylight cleaning the hangars. How much does all this excess management cost us? Don’t forget we need $55,000,000 to keep them all!

How about this! Airbus chiller filter used to be cleaned in the Hydro shop, and we turned out 12 per day. Now we send them to Anaheim CA. We currently pay anywhere between $93 to $290 PER FILTER to only have them cleaned! Then we ship them back FedEx. You do the math. One mechanic on a 21% pay cut produces 12 a day or get a vendor to give us 12 for $2500 + shipping. Where’s the savings????

Guess they are worth the $55,000,000!

The list goes on and on.....why is it when you need a part or material you check the inventory only to find the only ones in the system are located in Mobile? Pit, Clt allocated 1 but NIS and Moble allocated 10 with 10 on hand....keeps FedX in business!!! That is why the Judge allocated the retention bonus's for managment!!! :lol:

Probably normal for Airlines that dont do thier heavy maint at a hub. They probably just transfered the stock planning requirments in the computer to the new location. Its a MYTH that outsourcing is always cheaper, and in most cases its more expensive. The only advantages to outsourcing are filling a temporary need for resources or a requirment that is not part of a busineses focus.

sentrido said:
Probably normal for Airlines that dont do thier heavy maint at a hub. They probably just transfered the stock planning requirments in the computer to the new location. Its a MYTH that outsourcing is always cheaper, and in most cases its more expensive. The only advantages to outsourcing are filling a temporary need for resources or a requirment that is not part of a busineses focus.
[post="278302"][/post]​
Providing a Safe, reliable, and clean aircraft for operations to utilize with maximum efficiency USED to be a company focus area.

delldude said:
i'm awaiting to hear PITMTC'S spin on this...... B)
[post="278329"][/post]​
Why waste you precious time reading his slanted dribble on why he is always right. He is part of the cancer, no the cure.

Actually it's all true, I experience it first hand every day. I am the one who tries to buffer all the problems he gave examples of from the hard working people who just want to fix airplanes. I get these examples everyday.

To be honest, I could come up with at least ten examples a day just like these and at a far greater scale than any of you could even realize, but understanding business and the position the company is still in, I comprehend why we are here. Good or bad, I do my job to the best of my ability and using all the available resources I have. I can't waste time complaining about how is was, how it could be or how it should be. I just deal with what I got.

You see, we just wasted our personal time on a subject that is beyond our control and nothing has changed. We will go back to work and do the best we can anyway. That's why I give all the people out there great praise. I see the problems they encounter and the hard work they do and give them a lot of credit.

A quick glance at the weekly score card for Maintenance even shows a very measureable drop in areas that traditionally made money for this company...and that noteable drop is in direct relationship to work being outsourced...and not keeping pace with the actual demands , forecasted or otherwise.

Don't let the shills try to fool you into believing that everything is OK...Cuz it ain't
This is not an indictment on Safety...because those areas are always going to be taken care of...but it is an indictment of how things are not being handled efficiently or in a cost effective manner , meaning duplication of effort , extended down time...and robbing of Peter to pay Paul makes it all the worse.

PITMTC:

Excellent post. The majority of the employees have the same attitude as you, which is noticed by the customers, especially those dedicated flyers from FFOCUS.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
PITMTC:

Excellent post. The majority of the employees have the same attitude as you, which is noticed by the customers, especially those dedicated flyers from FFOCUS.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="278344"][/post]​
Do not ever speak for me again. You have no clue what I think.

Regards

l4pi

PITMTC said:
I comprehend why we are here. Good or bad, I do my job to the best of my ability and using all the available resources I have. I can't waste time complaining about how is was, how it could be or how it should be. I just deal with what I got.
[post="278336"][/post]​

I usually try to stay out of strictly maintenance issues cause it's not my fight. However, I just have to stick my nose in here....

If I've got this right, the local manager sees the problem but "can't waste time complaining about how it should be". So would that mean that the next higher level of management doesn't know there's a problem with parts allocation or whatever? Or the level above that? Or above that? All the way to the top?

Silly me - I had the quaint notion that a manager's job - at any level - was to identify problems and find ways to fix them. And if they're not fixable at the local level, bring them to the attention of those further up the chain who can fix them. I didn't realize a manager's job description was to do a "See no evil, hear no evil, say no evil" act while waiting for the bonus check.

That seems to be a pattern in this company, however. Lower management never points out problems - don't want to make waves that could toss them overboard. Much better to CYA. And the real problems never get addressed....

Jim

PineyBob said:
That goes for me too. I can't wait until the CCY gang is shown the door. I think the next FFOCUS event should be called "Let a Cockroach Help you Clean out your office day"
[post="278376"][/post]​

Would it be inappropriate to mail Al Crellin a package of office/file boxes?

AP Tech says, "The list goes on and on.....why is it when you need a part or material you check the inventory only to find the only ones in the system are located in Mobile?"

This is a very true statement with any company that is outsourcing the work. I can remember that when UniTED started farming out work that was scheduled to be done in Indianapolis. It was the employees that informed the states Govenor, mayor, and state reps that UniTED was shipping Indiana Airport Authourity equipment and tooling to these vendors. It wasn't long before the state goverment DEMANDED that all the IMC tooling be returned and inventoried immediately. It was amazing how much equipoment and tooling UniTED couldn't account for. Of course Indiana is sueing UniTED, but they are way at the bottom of the totem pole to collect anything after the BK exit.

Boeing Boy has nailed it again , when it comes to lower and middle management here. The problem is all too often fear when it comes to "Truth to Power".

I can think of a zillion things that need to be addressed...but go un-addressed because the lower end of the management scheme is truly afraid for their jobs if they point out anything that goes against the conventional thinking and desires of upper management , no matter how disfunctional that thinking is.

The issue of all our tools and parts being in BFM is No secret...we have all at one time or another needed something to fix a this or a that...and the Location is always HMV. Why is it..that HMV has everything of ours..but the origional lie told about the outsourcing of the narrow body Airbus Fleet was OUR lack of tooling to perform the work...yet we have the Airbus work back in PIT now and have never skipped a beat.

Now we have an issue with the tooling for the B737-300/400's...why is this? Simple it seems...BFM (ST Mobile Aerospace) does not have the same "Stand Alone" capabilities that we had when all the work was done in house , therefore BFM got the lions share of OUR capital tooling for the 737's for example...and CLT were 50% of the 737 Heavy work is being performed has to wait when something has to come from BFM back to CLT , but tooling problems just begin to scratch the surface of this protracted mess that has been created.

Phantom Fixer said:
I can think of a zillion things that need to be addressed...but go un-addressed because the lower end of the management scheme is truly afraid for their jobs if they point out anything that goes against the conventional thinking and desires of upper management , no matter how disfunctional that thinking is.

[post="278397"][/post]​

Most lower level managers are kept on a very short leash by their regionals. They are pretty must told to get the job done with what you've got. If you can't do it, we'll get somebody who can. So they're all scared to complain or request anything, knowing their own job is in jeopardy. Who in their right state of mind would ever want to be a manager in this type of organization? Only the loosers who can't do anything else.