wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Fuel bet has big impact
Pre-purchase has helped Southwest soar, brought pain to rivals

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, April 29, 2006
By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

PHOENIX – The single largest influence on the airline industry's struggling financial fortunes in the past three years?

It's Southwest Airlines Co.'s fuel savings program, according to several airline chief executives speaking at the Phoenix Aviation Symposium this week.

"The Southwest fuel hedge has had as much to do with the industry's ills as anything because they set the fares and they're the ones who set their fares at their costs," said Doug Parker, CEO of US Airways Group.

Southwest pre-purchased nearly all of its jet fuel three years ago, making a big bet that energy prices would rise.

The Dallas-based discounter was one of the few carriers with a balance sheet strong enough to make the move, which is shaping up to be the industry's masterstroke of the decade.

Southwest has saved hundreds of millions of dollars in fuel costs, and still has 70 percent of what it needs pre-purchased at prices equivalent to $36 a barrel.

Crude oil is selling for more than $70 today, and refined jet fuel is selling at the equivalent of more than $80 per barrel because it's expensive to make from oil.

That huge advantage has allowed Southwest to keep its fares far lower than where rivals have wanted, forcing others with much higher fuel bills to match in most top domestic markets.

"We make no apologies for running our company responsibly and having the foresight to prepare for the rise in fuel costs," said Southwest spokesman Ed Stewart. "It's just part of us trying to run our business at a profit."

Still, Southwest recognizes that its fuel "holiday" is coming to an end, and has already raised fares modestly twice this year.

At the panel here, executives said they expect Southwest, with the industry's leanest operating costs, will have no choice but to raise fares further.

"We don't feel overly victimized by high fuel costs," said John Tague executive vice president for marketing at United Airlines Inc., which has emerged from bankruptcy protection and still believes that the network model works well at virtually any fuel price. "We think there's enormous amounts of revenue to be unlocked out there."

Now executives such as Mr. Parker and Mr. Tague are hopeful that the industry's very cheapest fares will evaporate as Southwest faces its new reality.

"I think we'll see the silliest of fares go away – the $198 transcon fares, for example," Mr. Parker said.

Too much capacity

While Southwest's fuel cost advantage has forced carriers to the brink of failing, the industry still has too much capacity by many measures.

"We have partial winners and partial losers, but we never really see the real consequences of fully losing," said Mark Dunkerley, chief executive of Hawaiian Airlines Inc.

But even in the best of times, airlines aren't generating good margins that allow them to get through lean times.

"None of the big airlines are generating margins that would create acceptable return on invested capital," said Harry Pinson, managing director for Lazard Freres. It's difficult to find a good case for airlines to buy new aircraft because they can't adequately cover that cost, he added.

"Too much capacity came back too quickly after 9/11 and fuel costs have delayed the industry's return to profitability," said Richard Schifter, partner with Fort Worth-based Texas Pacific Group, a frequent airline investor. The pain felt by carriers and employees should brace surviving carriers for the next downturn, he said.

"The next time the economy weakens, it will kill airline profitability but may not be as bad as this time around" for carriers because they will have stronger balance sheets, he said.

'On its own'

Some carriers will be in better shape than others, Mr. Schifter said, and Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc. faces "extraordinary challenges" after rival Northwest Airlines Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. emerge from bankruptcy protection.

"They will come out with significantly lower labor costs, leaving American sort of hanging out there on its own. It will take a lot of creativity for American to get out of that position," he said.

"We've acknowledged that we're not where we need to be," said Beverley Goulet, American's treasurer and vice president of corporate development.

By using continuous improvement and working closely with its labor unions, the world's largest carrier aims to cut expenses further to keep up with foes that are using the leverage of bankruptcy restructuring, she said.

Some observers think both Northwest and Delta won't survive alone as they restructure. Because airlines have so much power in bankruptcy to discharge debt, pension obligations and reshape their aircraft fleets, they can customize themselves to be attractive partners.

The success of the US Airways Group merger with America West Airlines has venture capitalists hoping to find a similar quick-hit merger.

Not so fast

But Ms. Goulet threw in a cautionary note from American's 2001 acquisition of the assets of Trans World Airlines, which showed how challenges from combining unionized workforces can overwhelm benefits from a merger.

"As recently as last year we were still dealing with an arbitration case between TWA and Ozark Airlines that dated back to 1985," she said.

"Our experience in this area hasn't been real good – we bought AirCal, Reno Air and TWA, and if you look at the hubs of those carriers, in each case we're not as big as they were when we bought them," said Dan Garton, executive vice president of marketing for American. "We're not going to be a leader in this consolidation path."

That urge to merge must come with restraint. "Consolidation without capacity reduction isn't going to create any value," said Mr. Parker of US Airways.

But as Southwest awakens to its new fuel reality and prices its tickets according to its higher costs, the entire industry stands to benefit, he added.

E-mail [email protected]

KC Flyer,
read it and weep....

JBG
I have. And I have to wonder why US keeps those $198 transcons going. And the only "Parker" I know of who is familiar with SWA's future doesn't work for US. Also, did you get educated from Boeingboy's post? Odd how one can find information right in a little old quarterly report, ain't it?

I think Mr. Parker needs to spend less time pondering SWA and more time merging his airline operations and responding to his elite customers in a timely fashion.
Uh....hes the CEO of a major airline! He has every right to ponder SWA as they are our major competitor. Cmon!

I think Mr. Parker needs to spend less time pondering SWA and more time merging his airline operations and responding to his elite customers in a timely fashion.

Yeah Piney, ignore WN, and make the F/C seats more comfy for the "elite" customers...Parker was hired to do a job, and part of that job is keeping his eye on the competition. Not just WN, but all the others. Can you merge 2 large carriers over night Piney? Do you have a CLUE what all it entales? I think not, or you'd not make such an ignorant remark.

I admire South West, and what they've made of themselves. And I wish them well with continued success. I'm not making excuses for US, but they've come a long way in the last few months, and they realize they have a hell of a long way to go...but to turn a blind eye towards the competition as you suggest, is just assinine.

(emphasis added)

Southwest pre-purchased nearly all of its jet fuel three years ago, making a big bet that energy prices would rise.

The Dallas-based discounter was one of the few carriers with a balance sheet strong enough to make the move, which is shaping up to be the industry*s masterstroke of the decade.

[SNIP]

"We make no apologies for running our company responsibly and having the foresight to prepare for the rise in fuel costs," said Southwest spokesman Ed Stewart. "It*s just part of us trying to run our business at a profit."

Three years ago would have been around Spring, 2003 about the time we went into Iraq.

However, this September, 2005 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article about fuel hedging mentions:

Same goes for Southwest Airlines, which purchased 85 percent of its oil this year at *26 per barrel -- more than *40 below the current spot price. The oil-buying strategy, devised before the 9/11 attacks, allowed the Dallas low-fare carrier to save *196 million in 2005's second quarter -- its 57th profitable quarter in a row.

Does anyone remember when exactly (month and year) Southwest first started hedging its fuel? What factors were in place then that might have led Southwest to believe fuel costs were going to rise?

LoneStarMike

Does anyone remember when exactly (month and year) Southwest first started hedging its fuel? What factors were in place then that might have led Southwest to believe fuel costs were going to rise?

LoneStarMike

I have no concrete knowledge of when WN started to hedge but I'm sure they were doing plenty of it in both '01 and '02, probably because they figured that oil prices would not stay at those low levels forever. and, of course, they were right!
I distinctly remember that gas prices were under $1.50/gal through most of '01, then they briefly spiked following 9/11, and then came down to even lower levels the next year.
On a Tucson-Chicago and back road trip that I took in Jan and Feb of 2002, I distinctly remember filling up for just UNDER $1/gal in both Amarillo and Tulsa one way, and in, IIRC, Texarkana and Abilene on the return. And prices were not much over $1/gal everywhere else along the way, except right in the city of Chicago.

According to their annual reports, WN has been hedging fuel since at least the mid-90's but gave no details. It may have been coincidence, but with a change in accounting rules that was adopted in 2001, they began being more specific on how much was hedged.

Most think about WN's hedging in the context of what's happened with fuel prices over the last few years. While they have been fortunate given what's happened to fuel prices, one of the primary advantages of hedging fuel is knowing in advance what the effective price will be. This removes one pretty large item from the "out of our control" column and puts it in the "known cost" column, making it easier to price the product to produce a profit.

Jim