Msy Land Weather Policy Only Good Thru 05sep

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Our Land/Weather policy is only for New Orleans travel thru 05 Sept--- Passengers are a bit upset trying to reschedule their travel if travelling in mid September - it is upsetting/and embarassing to advise passengers to call back to see if dates are extended HOLD TIMES ARE LONG - and OUR CUSTOMERS PATIENCE IS ON SHORT SUPPLY .....do we not pay someone big bucks to make these decisions....New Orleans has been devasted please in reservations give us some options....past 05 September. I know someone in management will read this ...hopefully

Res:

I have been a Deputy Director of Operations for a U.S. Military Major Command and when you have a devastating catastrophe answers to questions like yours are not immediately available -- even for those in command. The situation must be stabilized first.

I recognize your job is difficult and the best thing you can do is keep up with company information and if necessary, seek help from your supervisors and managers.

Meanwhile, according to US Airways Today, "New Orleans Station Manager Bryan Smith and his staff also are assessing damage to the airport and beginning the work of returning to business.

Absent any runway damage, the airport will re-open later today only for flights operating under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), relief efforts and non-revenue traffic. The Airport Emergency Services Director estimates that normal passenger traffic will be allowed to resume no earlier than Monday, Sept. 5. Currently, the city of New Orleans is operating under martial law, and emergency traffic only is allowed on the streets that remain passable.

Airports in Jackson and Mobile will be closed today. Since no aircraft will remain overnight at those airports, tomorrow’s originators will not operate, either. US Airways Express Operations Managers are awaiting word from these stations and later today will evaluate a resumption of service on Wednesday. Updates will be provided as necessary."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The real problem is anyone travelling past Sept 05 - must pay the 100 change fee per ticket and a/c ...not even the option to go to a different city without requalifying the fare at todays rates - someone in CCY is not living in the same world we are - let the person travelling mid-late Sept at least resch- with extended MSY travel poilcy that is in place now for travellers going prior to 05Sep. - we are once again making passengers angry - most have no hotels in MSY thru end of Sept - they are trying to plan and reschedule mostly vacations - so to keep telling them to check back is clogging up the phone lines and diluting potential sales calls we could be getting.

USA320Pilot said:
Res:

I have been a Deputy Director of Operations for a U.S. Military Major Command
[post="294956"][/post]​

Okay. If you're such an expert about 'everything' why did you go on TV in your military uniform to sell a product and service? A violation of military code. I realize this was years ago, but your know-it-all 'tude is really, really annoying. Memo to USA320Pilot, at ease, stop being so gung-ho this is a civilian operation.

Res, clearly the company MUST change this policy for any and all reservations into the Gulf airports affected. If you can't get any answers from current US management, I suggest an e-mail to the new regime in Tempe. They appear to be much more on the ball than CCY. You'll probably get an answer.

CNN is reporting that the MSY airport is open and functional, but only to relief efforts and cargo support. They are saying that the airport may not open to commercial traffic until Nov!

When I worked in res last year and Florida was hit by so many hurricanes, it usually didn't take much for me to get a waiver from customer service. If customer service did not give a waiver then I referred them to Consumer Affairs. I am sure the company will be FORCED to change it given the circumstances in some areas. If they don't, then there will more than likely be a media frenzy.

On another note, my prayers and thoughts go out to all those affected. May God protect you and comfort you in your time of need.

Christine

how much in loss rev is that going to be for US Airways and the other carriers who had service to MSY prior to this tragic storm?
i had also seen on CNN live when the airport officials said it wouldnt be until NOV at the earliest before they can get commerical planes back in. MY prayers and thooughts are with them all

Southwest apparently has at least one bird in the air bound for MSY from DAL right now.

An article came out today discussing the chaos at the airport the day prior. Southwest flew in a planeload of agents from DAL and HOU to take over and process passengers so the local agents could go home to get evacuated with their families, then flew the agents back to Texas on the last flight out.

If we allow them to reschedule without a change fee for another flight on US say thru the end of Sept for now, what are we losing? NOTHING. We would actually be promoting GOOD WILL. Something CCY has little to no knowledge of. If anyone thinks that MSY will be back to anything close to normal any time soon, (weeks or months), they obviously havent been watching CNN. The airport might be open soon, but for relief people coming in and evacuees leaving, but not the conventioneers, tourists, etc.
I realize the company wants to preserve $, but a realistic approach with options would make so much sense. Travel voucher for later use, use the ticket value to another place, etc thru the end of Sept with rolling updates each week. Even the mayor was saying 8-12 weeks before any semblance of order in town if they're lucky and no more things happen there. They've cleared the Astrodome thru NOV for the evacuees.

They've already extended it to September 11, and I'm sure they'll extend it again in a bit. DL is at September 30, but NW is only at September 3 and UA is at September 10. Our dear friends over at HP are only at September 5. So there's a good bit of airlines not knowing what the heck is going on right now. Cut them a little slack for once.

I'd also mention that US's policy of letting MSY pax rebook their travel for up to one year has been far more generous than what other airlines offered in the beginning. DL and NW, for example, are only letting people rebook for new travel beginning before September 30.

Commercial flights added to Baton Rouge; N.O. flood forces look into Metro Airport

Complete Story

In my opinion, the DOD, DOT, and local officials are more concerned about opening up airfields for emergency airlift operations. It's likely the Combat Control Teams (CCT's) and Combat/Civil Engineering (CE) units will be mobilized from reserve, guard, and active duty military Wings to secure, repair, and operate the airfields with FEMA, and the USAF Air Mobility Command (AMC) at Scott AFB coordinating operations.

Regards,

USA320Pilot