My Bottom Line

youngblood

Senior
Jan 17, 2004
The question was - what is your bottom line. This has nothing to do with another unnamed poster but everything to do with me and mine, you and yours. Feel free to add your thoughts.

My bottom line includes several different focal points.

1. Being able to order a pizza without checking the account to see if it will put me in the red.

2. Pay the bills without having to pick from a hat.

3. Buy groceries without taking out a loan to cover the costs.

4. Pay the funds for my children to participate in sports without having to work 20 hrs of OT a pay.

5. Not having to tell my children they have to wait until next pay for me to take them out for icecream.

6. Being able to put more than $8 worth of gas in my car without it breaking me.

These are just a few. I could go on forever, but I am sure someone will add something. My bottom line has been met and then some. So............ before you tell me that I should give more to help the company survive, come live in my world for a month. Your opinion may change - it may not. If not, who cares. Some feel you should sacrifice the well being of your family for the betterment of a company. We tried that twice and it didn't work.

BTW, just to answer the forseeable question of "If you don't like it, then why don't you leave?" I honestly feel that there is a greater force in all of this and goes well beyond UAIR. You see, many eyes are on us and those include the millions of eyes that are fed up with corporate greed. Perhaps we as common lower class and middle class citizens can set an example or make a difference. I want to be part of that. It may mean taking down a company and I already know I will lose my job. So in the end it's a mute point. I would rather be part of something that attempted to stop the elimination of the middle class than someone who stood on the sidelines and said "What a Shame". I have always been told that if you didn't vote during the Presidential Election, then you have no right to complain. I guess I am casting my vote.

Let the slicing and dicing begin.

very well said.... I honestly believe that all of CWA feels this way.... im ready willing and able to walk away with my 20 yrs, nowing full well that I have given my all and I am confident that I can and will carry on when this company goes under knowing that those greedy bast***s in CCY, ya know Bronner and Kremlin (oops Crelin) and all the other a**holes that have taken and taken over and over again... to them I say go to H*** ... I will be sad that this once good company will be history, but I will have satisfaction for my self, that they will go down with me...

Sorry to be so harsh and or self centered, but I watch and listen to the boards, I listen to our Paxs and of course I have a conscience (although I cannot spell that good, hehehe) and I know and have known that CCY head honchos do not have a clue and cannot even buy one.

As you can tell from my profile I have been a member of this board for a long time and I don't post alot but the blood pressure has risen and the tempetures have also risen as well, I just had to let it out....I can go one and blast individual posters from my standpoint but I will not do that (not yet at least but I reserve my right to do that a future date) just remember that as my "mother" has told me all my life, "what goes around ,, comes around"..

NOW, anyone and everyone can blast off now....

usairwe,

I feel for you and those who have invested years and tears of service. Your testimony just demonstrates how fed up everyone is. My goal is and never has been to destroy anything; however, there comes a time when somethings just need to be settled. I have been hearing nothing but give, give, give since I started with this company and I hear the same being said for other companies. Why? So the people on the front lines who keep companies lucrative can eat from garbage bins while the CEOs, FCOs, VPs, and such can eat high on the hog. My father was once a VP of a company and later became President; however, during that entire time he faught for his office people and earned respect. They worked harder for him than any others. He was a man that took the company chef out for a beer after work or drove the secretary home in a blizzard. The employees knew him to be a fair man and never forgot it. We need people like him to run this company. Not ones who want to trash their workers.

I had an experience tonight at work that transcended all others. Can you believe a supervisor came around and thanked all of us for working so hard? That is a first for me and isn't it a shame?

youngblood said:
usairwe,

I had an experience tonight at work that transcended all others. Can you believe a supervisor came around and thanked all of us for working so hard? That is a first for me and isn't it a shame?
[post="175615"][/post]​

For you youngblood, Im glad that your supervisor thank you, and although not much, it does show that there truly are people who do believe in you, and your good and honest hard work...

When I was a supervisor, I made a personal committment to commend everyone and thanked them for the hard work that day, its not much but I know at least they truly believed that they were appreciated... I as a supervisor did not have many expectations for my people at the ATO, except that if you had to leave the ATO for what ever reason just let the person on the right and left of you know, this was done as a curtious , not as a way of checking up on anyone, we all all adults.. the other rule I had was "I did not want a line at the ATO" so if I did have a ticket counter line we all worked together to clear it, enough said.... I was at the counter as well, clearing people, checking them in and not in an office doing the paperwork (hell that can wait in my opinion)... I was a supervisor during the transition from pacer to sabre (talk about hell).. I have/ had alot of respect of my peers because I was one of them, and not a micromanager, although my superiors did not approve of me being on the line, because they said that it could possibly tie me up if I had a deal while working the line..to that I say Bulls**t, yes it could tie me up momentarily but that person who I was dealing with and or delt with was the most important person at the moment, and when they walked away they (Pax) knew it.... In Todays environment you are only a number and or the "Next in Line".... for that I am truly sorry.... Today I am only an agent just like at the supermarket (Paper or Plastic), and its not my style its what's management wants (oh they will tell you differnet in front of your face, but I have been to many of mangement meetings and in those meetings its totally different, its "make the agents feel like "we are all in this together", but knowing all along that they are scum, and their idiots....). I am now longer a suppervisor by my choice and I know that my time with company might be comming to a close, but although I went from a caring person, to one with attitude of "I just don't care whats happens anymore" I know that this company cannot ever take away the good memories and friends I have....

youngblood and usairrwe,

Well said my friends. Most all of the Mechanics and Related that I know feel exactly the same way you do.

It's time to say no to the rapists, and hope that there are consequences for them as dire as those that they would visit upon us. Our critics would say that that the rapists have put themselves together a "thieves guild" which protects them from consequences. Maybe, but principles, goodness, and truth demand that we, the simple and honest people, resist and fight.

I know that the idea of "truth" and "good" are just a joke to the business world, but thousands of us are risking everything we have worked for for just these concepts. In the end, greed must be tempered with responsibility, or we will find ourselves back in the dark ages again.

So we find ourselves once again in history, the simple against the sophisticated, realizing that economics are cyclic, and praying that the pendulum will start swinging our way.

Let us gird ourselves with the knowledge that goodness and truth are their own reward, and that they will ultimately be victorious.

Youngblood, Usairrwe, and Repeet

Thanks for your very honest and incitefull posts!

Sadly, our nation is moving toward a 2 class system; the haves and the have nots. Continued polarization is evidenced every day. All too many, in the name of basic security (because they have been emotionally beat toward feelings of insecurity) are like lambs being led to slaughter.

No one remembers those lambs in the future, they remember the sheep who stood on principle and value.

Ben Franklin said "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Substitute the words dignity for liberty and security for safety and it says it all.

Best wishes,

Denver, CO

ua767fo said:
Sadly, our nation is moving toward a 2 class system; the haves and the have nots. Continued polarization is evidenced every day. All too many, in the name of basic security (because they have been emotionally beat toward feelings of insecurity) are like lambs being led to slaughter.

[post="175621"][/post]​

ua767fo,
you are 100% correct. This country is moving toward a two class society, and corporate greed is the reason. Look at USAirways. They are heaping more and more cuts on the backs of labor, but yet management has really not contributed. And if U turns around, you can bet management will reward themselves with big bonuses, while labor gets nothing.

Its sad. Go down to Central or South America and take a look around. Sure, there are some rich people there living good lives, but the vast majority are working poor. That's where this country is headed.

michael707767 said:
Go down to Central or South America and take a look around. Sure, there are some rich people there living good lives, but the vast majority are working poor. That's where this country is headed.
[post="175626"][/post]​

Michael... while cannot invision that, have been there before, and to others in my opinion third world countries, I equate the situation at here like that of a "unhidden" ENRON or WORLDCOM's but eventullay it will all come out, although personally I cannot prove anything, its my personal opinion and that no one can take from me...

I also agree that if we survive and prosper, the only ones who will see the riches are that of senior management and cohorts, and then and only then will labor get a "thanks for a job well done" and oh, by the way, sorry now we have lay people off to maintain this momentum cause the LCC's just will not relent and we have to keep pace.... So Sorry..

This country is/has a 2 class system already but unlike our 2nd class citizens (the working poor of which I am a member) I just cannot see it going to those extremes...at least I hope I am not wrong....

I think 'corporate greed' is too simple a diagnosis. Decisions are made by individuals. Individuals want to succeed. Success means security. For those with capital, security means protecting and successfully growing that capital. We no longer have a culture in the country where it is seen as a problem that those that have capital or manage it can't even begin to relate to the economy that exists for the worker. That's a huge problem for America and it is personal to some degree. Obviously, we all live in certain environments which influence our behaviour, but I'm concerned that so many folk don't understand the issues that working people face, because our economy has split into two.

It's a real shame. And we need to do something about it. Sadly, I think it means higher taxes for wealth holders and a concerted effort to bring together our 'classes' in the areas of health care, education opportunity and housing (living in proximity to various income levels).

Well, people, think real hard and long about your Presidential vote on Nov. 2. Are you better off now than you were four years ago? It's a cliche-type question but one that you need to think about before voting. Just my two cents.

Sadly this goes way beyond greed and union busting and I feel sorry for the ones who actually believe it’s only those two issues. It’s the new world economy where everything is cheap and Wal*Mart is king. Deregulation is at its finest hour if you ask a GOP believer, outsourcing is good just ask Bush’s team, they said so publicly.

This battle IMO will only be won by moving on with your life to better options whether that be more schooling or a career move. You may think you will be remembered for the good fight but out in the real world where unions are loathed it will be just the opposite, I hear it already.

Gone are the days of making fifty grand to sweep the floor or deliver parts and only working 4 hours a day, the gravy train has pulled out of the station.

The CWA people took the brunt being they never really were paid big money so it was downhill from the beginning for them, the other unskilled will soon see what the world offers them and why their Mommy and Daddies told them to either get a trade or go to college.

The mechanics can transfer their skills making a lateral move and why the majority of the IAM membership is in agreement of no more openers.

The pilots although the most highly paid also have the most to lose and why the battles within their ranks.

Granted, management may be taking advantage of a bad situation, but it’s way beyond simple union breaking. This airline is no gold mine either and if it were go into bankruptcy rest assured someone would step up to the plate to collect that gold, so where are they? This is a tired worn out corporation that has seen its day come and go. Move on people, it’s your only real option, standing and fighting will only delay the inevitable.

Let's assume personal responsibility as well. The country was set up for the citizens to direct the government. This only works when the citizenry is informed and involved.

Sadly, too many of us have abrogated the duties of citizenship. The vacuum created was filled by money. It is in the monied interests for the citizen to believe "my vote doesn't count; I can'[t make a difference." Makes the money's job easier, and more cost-effective, doesn't it?

And the citizen is right, up to point. One vote, one campaign, one issue, will not matter in the long run.

Does one kiss a marriage make? Does one handshake a friendship make?

No, everything worthwhile takes time, effort and commitment.

On the other hand, changing things in the good ol' US of A is a damsite easier than in Argentina or Venezuela - they have to throw a coup. Saudi Arabia? Haa! China? Mexico? Puh-leeze!

It is possible to squander a birthright. I pray we don't.

EyeInTheSky said:
Well, people, think real hard and long about your Presidential vote on Nov. 2. Are you better off now than you were four years ago? It's a cliche-type question but one that you need to think about before voting. Just my two cents.
[post="175656"][/post]​

You're voting for President, not CEO. Unfortunately the President has nothing to do with the state of US Airways at this point. You could make it political, but you would have to be willing to go back and look at the affect that NAFTA has had on our society and our economy. .. Just my two cents

repeet said:
youngblood and usairrwe,

Well said my friends. Most all of the Mechanics and Related that I know feel exactly the same way you do.

It's time to say no to the rapists, and hope that there are consequences for them as dire as those that they would visit upon us. Our critics would say that that the rapists have put themselves together a "thieves guild" which protects them from consequences. Maybe, but principles, goodness, and truth demand that we, the simple and honest people, resist and fight.

I know that the idea of "truth" and "good" are just a joke to the business world, but thousands of us are risking everything we have worked for for just these concepts. In the end, greed must be tempered with responsibility, or we will find ourselves back in the dark ages again.

So we find ourselves once again in history, the simple against the sophisticated, realizing that economics are cyclic, and praying that the pendulum will start swinging our way.

Let us gird ourselves with the knowledge that goodness and truth are their own reward, and that they will ultimately be victorious.
[post="175618"][/post]​

Hey Repeet is sweet you believe in the mickey mouse fairy tale that good always triumph over evil ..in the real world it aint the case..because the world is fuel by greed and power and you making a stand at Usairways will not change anything..
I in my youth I thought I could change the world and get rid of hate but I woke up becuase greed is a disease worse than cancer.

And to the rest of you bitter people who continue to march to the pay to the full till the last hour or let Usairways go away..

Usairways may need you to survive but you are the one that will hurt in the long run and when you are working two part time jobs to make things meet you will have yourselves to blame if Usairways go under.

As long as we live in the world where greed and power rules the world those consequences you hope for will not be realised because all they will do is blame us the workers.

A warrior must know when to fight and when to save a fight for another day.
So risking everything to prove that " good and truth " blah blah is like spitting in the wind my friend..

Management have us all by the balls the only indespensable group is negoitiating and the rest of you that can be replace or cut down to size is putting up resistance..
Maintenance can be contracted out
Ramp services can be contracted out
technology like kiosk and gate readers can take care of gate and ticket functions internet bookings take care of reservationist..
If i were you I would make sure whatever concession given is temporary and rewards substantial.

And if you dont like it..quit and leave and find somewhere to be happy or more rewarding and most importantly somewhere that the creed is repect and truth .

Latest posts