My Friend's First Time on Airways--Not a Good Impression

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
A good friend of mine and his family recently traveled to Israel as their son was in the Maccabia games (he came home with two silver medals!). When I asked him which airline he took, he told me US Airways. I thought to myself Uh Oh, but all I said to him was to ask for his impressions upon his return.

Yesterday he called me and asked for my assistance with some "issues" he had with US during the trip. While not major issues, they were more "annoyances", but they do reflect poor attitudes and poor provisioning which we have all come to expect from US--and being that this experience was on the new route with a new aircraft, I would have thought more attention to detail would have been paid, but then again...it's US Airways.

I will paraphrase my friend's remarks below:

1. US 796 (7/9/09) - front coach cabin (row 17)--served by an extremely rude and abrupt flight attendant-had no concern or care for customer needs, performed job by rote--tried to get her name but it was concealed by her apron. Upon leaving the aircraft my friend commented to the purser that this person should not be serving, and he did not defend her. I have a description of the lady, but elect not to post that here.

2a. US 797 (7/23/09) - rear coach cabin (row 33)-- video monitors in seat back inoperational-crew here was very helpful, rebooting the system a number of times but without success-told him it was a new aircraft and it shouldn't have happened, but they did not even have another seat to move them to--aircraft full. Other videos were out as well...minor annoyance, but 13 hours is a long time to be without distraction-thankfully he read and slept, but again, on a brand new aircraft, you'd think they would test things.

2b. During the second meal service (pre arrival), they ran out of meals, and the rear of the aircraft was given nothing at all...in this case, US proves to be consistent in poor planning and provisioning..

3. This is more a PHL issue (no surprise), but when they came out of Immigration and Customs, they were directed rudely by two security people to go outside and take the shuttle bus from A to F. Fortunately, after being sent back to the original point, the first security guard realized his mistake and moved them to the front of the domestic security line so they could take the shuttle from A1 and make their connection to LGA.

As I said in the beginning, most of this is minor, but it is annoying...while the mechanical and operational aircraft issues might be beyond the control of the company, allowing rude and disaffected FA's to serve and running out of food for paying passengers is definitely within their control--but apparently something the company chooses to ignore.

I would remind US (mis)management that the available pool of gullible customers who has yet to try US is running out--and that more and more people like my friend are saying "Never again US Airways".........but then again, Doug Parker believes that there is TOO much emphasis on customer service....... (shakes head)......

My friend's final comment was "now I understand why you didn't RECOMMEND US Airways"....

My best to you all...

In my opinion it is...one would think on a BRAND NEW route with a BRAND NEW aircraft, US would want to excel--and bring positive attention to their new service. Instead, it's just more of the same--poor attitudes, poor planning, and a disappointing experience for the customer.

Had it been just another route on just another aircraft, I might not have posted it, but with all the hoopla about the new route and new plane, I thought it was appropriate for comment and discussion.

ETOPS, if you don't like the subject don't read the thread.

I think the real question to ask is how much his ticket cost vs the other airlines . That will determine if he flys us again.

In my opinion it is...one would think on a BRAND NEW route with a BRAND NEW aircraft, US would want to excel--and bring positive attention to their new service. Instead, it's just more of the same--poor attitudes, poor planning, and a disappointing experience for the customer.

Had it been just another route on just another aircraft, I might not have posted it, but with all the hoopla about the new route and new plane, I thought it was appropriate for comment and discussion.

Oh But Art my friend US does excel--poor mis mgnmnt decisions and poor leadership!

We cant even treat each other with courtesy, respect, ect....I just got back from a annual trip with grandson and every year the customer service gets worse and worse...so why would anyone expect even decent service when we can not even treat our own employees like decent human beings????? Had 3 seperate incidents(on top of my own nightmare) this past week alone where OAL has even commented on the nastiness of several stations....mine included....sad and very embarrassing...taking the vol furlough in September...keeping my dignity....

We cant even treat each other with courtesy, respect, ect....I just got back from a annual trip with grandson and every year the customer service gets worse and worse...so why would anyone expect even decent service when we can not even treat our own employees like decent human beings????? Had 3 seperate incidents(on top of my own nightmare) this past week alone where OAL has even commented on the nastiness of several stations....mine included....sad and very embarrassing...taking the vol furlough in September...keeping my dignity....

This is a general reply to the entire post.
Accountability for poor service starts at the top. I think that everyone in an organization is responsible for sub-par service.
It starts with the leaders and trickles down. When you demoralize a work force, unfortunately the recipients are the customers.
My suggestion is post this link anywhere you like. And write to the person in charge, from Parker on down.
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/about...cutivebios.aspx
The email convention for the e-mail addresses for the responsible people is: [email protected]
When they start to get REPEATED e-mails on a CONTINUING basis OVER AND OVER AND OVER from dissatisfied customers, they will be forced to acknowledge and fix.
WRITE and KEEP WRITING.
And tell everyone that has a problem to WRITE AND KEEP WRITING.

When I asked him which airline he took, he told me US Airways. I thought to myself Uh Oh,
So all he came up with in 25 hours aboard US jets was a nasty FA and balky entertainment?
No excuses for a bitchy FA, but apparently he got there with baggage, relatively on schedule, with no other major complaints. When you say you thought "uh oh", you make it sound like the thousands of flights that US flies ALL have issues. They don't, unless you're a disgruntled ex-VFF who's looking for the tiniest thing to complain about. US provides safe, reliable travel. Many bigger, more well-known carriers don't do it as well.

IMHO, what US is trying to do is wean the traveling public off the freebies. I applaud that, as the air transportation system in this country has lost far more money than they've ever earned. Why the rest of the industry didn't follow US' lead and charge for drinks I'll never know. Why leave that money on the table?

Anyway, I'm digressing a bit. But I agree with the previous poster who thought this thread was unnecessary. It does sound to me like you're just taking a few shots at US today, but it's a free country.

Oh, they also ran out of meals. I forgot about that. Complaints about that are legit, in my experience. It happens too much.

Oh, they also ran out of meals. I forgot about that. Complaints about that are legit, in my experience. It happens too much.

While I will not defend the rude F/A remarks....because it is true on almost any flight on any Airline on any route....there are just people out the that are just not happy with their lives and jobs....it's going to happen whether or not you are flying to TLV or Myrtle Beach! However, I'm a little perplexed as to why they "ran out of food"?? That is IMPOSSIBLE!!! They board 20% above and beyond the catered amount for each flight. Is it possible that they ran out of said passengers first choice??

The Panasonic video system errors cannot be blamed on USAirways or the flight crews....yes there are glitches in the system that are being fixed.....and most flight crews are blindly walking into operating this system with practically no training on the operation of the system other than placing an instruction manual on each A/C. It is a new flight with slightly different procedures for the flight crews and in time all will get used the differences.

On a side note, I've worked 3 of these trips this month and on EVERY flight to and from TLV, I've had passengers remark on how impressed they are with the flight, the service, the seats, the entertainment system, and yes even the flight crews! They frequently comment on how rude DAL and CAL flight crews are....and they are grateful not to have to fly out of Newark or Kennedy and say that the PHL Airport by far is more convenient, nicer, and easier to connect through! Just my 2 cents....but pretty accurate having flown this trip several times! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: love these endless threads...

Below, for comparison Art, find a link discussing how AVOD was not working on DL's "BRAND NEW route, BRAND NEW aircraft" (your words), LAX- SYD. I could link about 50 threads here regarding inop IFE on international flights on all airlines if you would like. Let me know. I am sorry this happened to your friends, but it certainly is not US specific.

With all the hoopla surrounding Deltas Sydney service, you would think they would have planned better. My point, it happens on all airlines everyday.

Poor attitudes and poor service are inexcusable, but you know that you will find that on every airline as well. From what I hear, the TLV service is going quite well, passengers enjoy the service, and they are still working a few kinks out with regards to the service.

Thanks for the anecdotal post.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymi...-flights-2.html

Update: I have checked with someone who has data on every single TLV flight, and they have never received a report of a food shortage. The extra Kosher meals US boards as a courtesy to those that forgot to pre order have never even run out. They have only had Kosher meals left (ran out of regular meals I guess..), but never not had any food for passengers. This is from the first flight on July 1st. Inflight has reps talking to every single crew after the trip, and even has a special "TLV ISSUES" form that the crews fill out.

Again, I am trying to bring some issues to the attention of those who MAY care--but the attitude of some of you is just amazing--if you read my post you will see that I was not complaining for the sake of complaining...I was trying to bring some issues to the forefront of discussion.

I saw my friend this afternoon, and he said one of my assumptions was wrong--while the flight crew on the return did reboot the IFE system a couple of times, he said they were frustrated and not as helpful as I had thought--but again, the IFE system failure was only in a couple of rows, not the entire aircraft...not directly under US control, but MAYBE it could have been tested better.

That said, the person who called me a US basher just does not know me or my history with US... I have spent alot of time and money (my own I might add), trying to help the employees AND customers of US - only to fail due to an upper management who could not care less about either. Look again at my statement--I DO place the blame right at the top--Doug Parker--who thinks they put too much emphasis on customer service--well it shows...

Hearing stories like this from people who know I know people at US does not make me feel good--I am sad for those of my friends still working at US--who can really do nothing about these issues, but have to handle the customer's complaints...I can only imagine how frustrating and demoralizing that is.

At the end of the day, I think that absent a change in upper management, I do not see any improvement coming, and that does not bode well for the future of this company...

My BEST to you all....

Latest posts