My Last Glorious Year With Dear Old Twa

Captain Ed

Oct 11, 2003
Brick NJ
Visit site
My last glorious year with TWA
In 1985 Carl Ichan bought TWA with junk bonds, turned it into a junk airline, sold our gates at LHR and all over, etc., swiped $62 Million for his own pockets, and in Dec. 1986, announced a 40% pay cut for pilots. I, and everyone else, knew that was the beginning of the end of TWA.

I already had my 30 years in, reached 55 years, and was eligible for retirement if I gave 12 months notice, so on 1 Jan 1987, I did. I decided that I would excercise my right as pilot in command, IAW TWA Policy manual, to give complimentary liquor to ALL passengers, every trip. I justified it in several ways. Rarely did a trip block out exactly on time, and the Policy manual suggest comp. liquor in such cases. Other occasions were important dates in history, etc.. etc..

I was an L-1011 Capt. flying fairly senior trips, mostly non-stops out of JFK to Seattle and Lisbon, carrying about 300 pax each way, every trip, 4 or 5 trips a month. Every trip that year it was the same. Everybody drank free, and were really happy. I'd get applauses from the cabin after landing. People would shake my hand as they left. A few wanted my schedule of coming trips.

The cabin crew were delighted. Just sign off the liquor slips, no counting empty bottles, inventory, etc., no making change for $100 bills, and all that. I was a HERO!!

In Nov. 1987, there was a note in my crew mail box from our General Manager of Flying, (Chief Pilot) Capt. Wally Moran. "Captain Toner, please see me at your earliest convience."

I went to Wally's office with the note, and he sat me down, and told me he noticed that I gave away $82,000 woth of booze in October. He wondered if this was correct, and if so, WHY!!

I kept my tongue in my cheek, cited Policy Manual, etc.. Then I asked if I may have an ALPA Representative present for the rest of the interview. Wally said that wouldn't be necessary, no disciplanary action was planned.

Then he said "You know Ed, you've been taking a lot of Medical Leave lately. How's your health?" Well as a matter of fact, I had. I noticed in the Policy Manual, that a pilot should not fly within 24 hours of taking certain drugs, and one of them was DRISTAN. When I felt I had a cold, I'd pop a pill, and call in sick. I told Wally this. Silence. He then said, "Well Ed, do you realize you have only 7 months left in your Medical Leave account?"

I said "Seven Months! Cheeze, I'm retiring in two months. I didn't realize I had that much left.".

That was the end of the discussion.
http://moregleny.com/captainedcartoon.gif

ROFLOL

Love your story!!

Oh my gosh, $82,000 worth of booze!! No wonder your pax wanted your schedule!!

I wish there was a law to stop corporate raiders. It should be a crime, companies run into the ground, good jobs lost. . .It makes me so angry!!

"how's your health" ahhhh, cracked me up.

:up:

I wish I could have been on one of those flights!
In 1987, the the airline I worked for had its counter at LAX was right next to TWA's;
I got to know many of the fine TWA people there. It was awful to see what was happening to that great airline.

I am glad that you managed to get a few licks in.