My supervisor has to call their supervisor then he calls. . .

Nov 4, 2007
So I had an international flight on the newly configued aircraft. The good news is that superficially it does look a lot better. The seats are a bit odd, but if you're a leisure traveller they'll be fine. If you're overweight and bought it because you're a responsible person who is trying to buy what you need, you're going to be out of luck and ticked off, because they are a hair's breath wider/ bigger than an economy seat.

I guess I was kind of hoping that there would be a renewed committment to everything international. When Wolfe debuted the 330 we had supervisors everywhere assuring quality control. I had a marketing person re-clean the lavatory mirror.

12 lights were out on this airplane and the mechanics refused to fix them because they weren't in the log book.
No international newspapers despite the fact that the incoming flight brings them just for the outbound.

Know what the responses were?
My supervisor has to call their supervisor and they call the ramp and then hopefully they'll bring/ find the newspapers.
Endgame: no newspapers, no catering supplies, and lights out.

Now, correct me if I am wrong but in the old days couldn't the agents call the appropriate person and get the required items without all of the middlemen? And okay, I can wrap my head around this in that maybe this is AWA's way of holding someone accountable, but if the plane leaves in crappy shape who cares? It's gone. What exactly is this nonsense called anyway? I thought AWA wasn't as "corporate" as US, but they have a manager for everything and still we have the same problems.

I've said this before, this is easy stuff folks, and you want to go to China?

BTW, I love the mechanics and I know that you guys have your reasons for doing what you do, but give me a little help here, do you know how some jerk likes to yell at me for 8 hours about his reading light over the Atlantic? The kicker is he's a right jerk! Not to mention the whole "if US can't fix light bulbs how's the engine" phenomena.

The icing on the cake is having 5, count 'em, 5 supervisors hovering outside the airplane door wanting to slam it closed 3 minutes early. They can close doors, but seating, catering, mechanical stuff is all a great mystery.

Mechanics are not suppose to fix something unless it is in the logbook, that is procedure, when something is fixed or replaced on an airplane it has to be documented and tracked per the FARs.

No mechanic is going to risk an LOI and/or discipline from the FAA for breaking the FARs, blame the pilots for not writing it up, not the mechanic for following the FARs.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay, so all of those years when the mechanics fixed the lightbulbs for me they were violating FARs? BTW, we volunteered to put it in the logbook for them if they wanted it that way. They still said no. I get what you're saying, write it in the logbook, but sometimes they don't get discovered till too late, so this means you can't change a lightbulb?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I do understand them not having a lot of turnaround time and prioritizing, but FARs against changing a lightbulb?

If it is in the logbook it has to be fixed or deferred, every logbook is supposed to be checked before each flight at a station where mechanics are.

You dont have to buy it, the FARs are the FARs and with the increased oversight by the FAA no mechanic is going to put his livlihood at risk.

They might have done things in the past, but the legal procedure is anything changed or fixed on an airplane has to be documented in case of a future problem with a repair or replacement so it can be referred back too.

Ask any AMT on the boards, they will tell you.

Agents cannot assist because they are watching their own behinds with the 10 min jetway door closure and 5 min jetway off. If this isn't done they get disciplined. 3 strikes and your out the door yourself. BUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF MANAGERS LULLING AROUND DOING NOTHING or HIDING, let them get the misc. WE ARE SICK OF THE MILITANT WAY AND THEY TREAT THE CUSTOMER THE SAME WAY.

This is very typical of AWA. People are so pedantic. If you do anything to think outside the box like you have, princess, you are frowned upon. They lump you into the group of problem makers because they don't like people telling them what to do.

I got written up in TRAINING because my instructor was making a series of jokes on what to wear in OJT, and because I was catching up on some computer work, I caught the tail end of the joke. I still wore proper attire, mind you, and when he called me in to counsole me, I very RESPECTFULLY told him I thought he was joking (which he was) and that I was sorry, but he made too many jokes in class.

His face got red, and he wrote me up haha! Never again have I questioned management at AWA, and as a result I;ve gotten kicked around.

Ahhh love the ramp! We drop F-bombs at our leisure.

Mechanics are not suppose to fix something unless it is in the logbook, that is procedure, when something is fixed or replaced on an airplane it has to be documented and tracked per the FARs.

No mechanic is going to risk an LOI and/or discipline from the FAA for breaking the FARs, blame the pilots for not writing it up, not the mechanic for following the FARs.
That's ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Only SAFETY OF FLIGHT items are REQUIRED to be written up. In fact there is a cabin logbook that other "nice-to-have" stuff goes in. It only gets looked at at the end of the day. If mechanics DO fix something, they can write it up or request the pilots do so.

Been that way forever.

A typical unionista NOT MY JOB response.

You couldnt be more far off base, it is a federal legal requirement, FARs are federal air regulations.

Call the FAA if you dont believe me.

This is why every US person should have a plan B. It is mind boggling what AWA has implemented here. You feel like you're in some kind of surreal idiot parallel universe.

Tempe, when a mechanic can't/ won't fix light bulbs, doncha think you're doing something wrong?
When it takes 5 supervisors to close an airplane door, an airplane that: was not catered properly and cabin items broken, what exactly are your mass of managers for?

I cannot believe that this is a "West" thing. Google, Microsoft, they're companies located out west.

So this means you're. . . .?

Again, it's about the product stupid!

Unionista?
In Union shops at Usairways we have protected work and we would never do "anothers" protected work.
Now, had the sandcastle not outsources mainline utilities you may not have these problems. The sandcastle is lucky if "they" empty trash bins on the aircraft let alone look for inflight magazines! No logic, just a LCC and we should all start acting like an LCC. Not my yab mon!

You couldnt be more far off base, it is a federal legal requirement, FARs are federal air regulations.

Call the FAA if you dont believe me.
So you're saying that if a mechanic knows or finds something wrong he can't fix it just because a pilot didn't write it up? That's the dumbest thing I've read ALL WEEK (and I've read some pretty dumb stuff). The logbook page even has a block to check as to whether the pilot or mechanic is making the writeup. Pilots do write up most stuff, but not everything. If the mechanic wants to document that he changed a lightbulb, then go ahead. It's not a requirement for the pilot to write up unless it's a "safety-of-flight" lightbulb.

Next time I have lunch with my buddy from the FAA FSDO, which I do regularly, I'll find out if mechanics can't fix stuff unless pilots write it up. I agree with the guy that said that your response sounded like a typical unionista answer.

And now for my monthly rant, I've noticed an increase in agents requesting to board 'a little early'. To the tune of about 10 mins or so (seems coincidental to me since they want to close the door 10 mins early). I would remind every F/A on here to stick to your contract of the 30-35-45 minute rule. I for one pull out my cell phone and make sure that the time on my phone is just that before I allow anyone on the plane. If you do the math, and have a 5 leg day, you've just given the company 50mins for FREE!. I'm sending a letter to MF regarding this, since I've noticed this trend within the last couple months. Please fellow F/A group, do not give them this option and follow your contract. If they cannot board an airplane in the alloted time, it's not our problem.
Thanks.

Latest posts