New A&B Incentive Program

EricLv2Fish

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
Straight from "About US". This seems to be a significant way to earn some serious cash for frontline employees.

Taking care of our customers…we hear that phrase a lot but what does it really mean? In an industry
that seems to only get attention when we don’t take care of our customers, the answer lies with
the some very important people who fly with us. And to help us recognize outstanding customer service, we’re
pleased to announce an all-new Above & Beyond program.
Going Above & Beyond
Above & Beyond (A&B) is the new customer service recognition program that is similar to the Dividend Miles Recognition Program
program from pre-merger US Airways and Above & Beyond from pre-merger America West. This updated version of the program
allows our most frequent flyers—Dividend Miles’ silver, platinum, gold and Chairman’s preferred members—to reward our employees
for outstanding customer service in the air or on the ground. These valued customers are given an allotment of A&B coupons per
year to use when they encounter exceptional service. The customer can either hand the card to the employee, or mail it to the company
(see mailing details).
Everyone’s Eligible!
Since customer-contact employees, like crewmembers and
customer service agents, have the most interaction with our
top-tier customers, they will tend to be the primary recipients;
however, all employees are eligible. For example, a reservations
agent or corporate employee can be recognized for help
over the phone; a "behind the scenes" employee can win by
helping a customer when passing through the terminal.
While the initial program works more favorably for customer-
contact employees, HR will be looking at all departmental
reward and recognition programs and working with
departmental leadership to consolidate all programs into one
Corporate Rewards and Recognition program.
Why the Change?
This new and improved program takes the former AWA
Cold, Hard Cash
A&B will award employees more than $1 million each year. And
we’re not talking about five or 10 bucks at a time; employees will
be eligible for prizes of up to $10,000!
Here’s how it will work: All complimentary coupons received
from customers will be part of a quarterly drawing, starting this
fall. Once drawn:
· Ten employees will win $10,000
· 100 employees will win $1,000
· 250 employees will win $250
Again, these awards will be given randomly, with every A&B
recipient eligible. The more complimentary coupons an employee
receive, the higher that person’s chances are of winning!

Hmmm....interesting.
I was wondering if they would keep the rewards the same.
Where did you see this, Eric?
I wonder if the "chance" of receivng an A/B to put in for a "chance" at winning some cash will be as motivational as the previous awards, which were "concrete" and obtainable.
The A/B program was the only time I've ever really seen HP go with positive re-enforcement to motivate employees.
This new program seems a little less motivating.

**edit to say I see where you said it was from AboutUS**

I'm a little dubious of this concept. Does it really improve morale to see a co-worker who has a couple of A&B's receive a check for $10k or $1k, when you have just as many A&B's (or more) and you walk away empty-handed?

If a person wins two or three times (we all know some people who are just lucky that way), does that create resentment among fellow employees? To avoid this problem, are you limited to winning just, say, once a year? If that's the case will winners slack off just a bit knowing that they can't win again for at least another year?

I'm not a big fan of lottery incentives. I would much rather see a fixed program of escalating A&B incentives. Start small, but as employees receive more A&B's the rewards get bigger. Of course, the lottery program is fixed in terms of total dollars paid out by the Sandcastle and may ultimately be cheaper for the company than the approach I suggested.

It is a nice gesture, but not one that will spark motivation in my opinion.

Time will tell.
The people who get these coupons are our frequent fliers who often fly first class so if you tend to prefer working coach, you will have less opportunity to kiss butt. Also, the people who REALLY need above and beyond customer service often are not savvy to all these customer relation things. I have helped many elderly, handicapped, minors, and people who do not speak english, and all the recognition I need is a simple Thank-you.

I'm a little dubious of this concept. Does it really improve morale to see a co-worker who has a couple of A&B's receive a check for $10k or $1k, when you have just as many A&B's (or more) and you walk away empty-handed?

If a person wins two or three times (we all know some people who are just lucky that way), does that create resentment among fellow employees? To avoid this problem, are you limited to winning just, say, once a year? If that's the case will winners slack off just a bit knowing that they can't win again for at least another year?

I'm not a big fan of lottery incentives. I would much rather see a fixed program of escalating A&B incentives. Start small, but as employees receive more A&B's the rewards get bigger. Of course, the lottery program is fixed in terms of total dollars paid out by the Sandcastle and may ultimately be cheaper for the company than the approach I suggested.

It segways for the company not give give any group any contract wage or benefit improvements, but rather to tell labor "hell, you can win it".

The company needs to improve the wages of their workers, ratify merger agreeements and then, implement these cash award drawings.

This is a "Jerry" idea promoted by some knucklehead exec from the West.

These tactics don't improve morale and only a select few will have pax take the time to write-in. This is not a guage of most employees who go above and beyond daily and don't get recognized by anyone. Ramp agents who put the baggage and mail day in and day out won't get recognized by a manager that may play favorites on who can kiss the manager's butt.

At AWA there was one FA who was absolutely notorious for asking for A&B's and nice letters from folks. Most of the rest of us were totally disgusted with this outright whoring for A&B's. This progrqam will make it much worse because the potential rewards are much higher.

Don't get me wrong, I got my share of A&B's, and always appreciated them, but I would never ask for them and always let the customer know I appreciated them when I received them. The stakes are too high for this program now and more and more FA's will be brazen about getting these A&B's.

Frankly, I think this revised program is a result of the outrageous bonuses and stock options that management has been taking and using this to say we are giving it to employees also.

. . . if you tend to prefer working coach, you will have less opportunity to kiss butt. . .

I understand what you're saying UScrew as most jobs are very often thankless and the only satisfaction that most folks get is what they themselves put into the job.

Pitbull is correct that few pax will even take the time to write in. I'm a CP, and I can tell you right now that I don't have the time to carry cards with me to hand out to a happy face. But I do indeed e-mail CA whenever someone does an especially good job, just so that the front office knows that people are trying to do the job. I was especially conscious of this during those recent "dark years" when folks were absorbing those cuts, and I would try to find a check-in clerk or someone for whom I could find a good word -- pax were almost as powerless as the employees.

That said, let me say that paxs also hear the banter ( & sometimes complaining ) in the galley. Working in the medical field, I'm used to nuanced jobs and gripes, so it doesn't personally bother me & it is afterall human nature -- you should hear us in the OR.

But remember, a discerning pax can tell when the smile is fake or when the service is genuine.

We usually UG to Envoy flying to MAD or LGW & I've always found the service to be consistently good with only an occassional glitch here or there. On one PHL-LGW flight this February, I notice that the FAs are especially perfunctory in a protocol/policy sense to everyone in Envoy. During the flight, one of the FAs inquires if I'm the London station manager. She was disappointed when I say no, as the FAs were convinced that my calm and confident demeanor was that of a station manager ( they just don't know me ;) ). That at least explained the perfunctory service. But they still did a nice job anyhow.

Nothing is perfect in life, but I guess that the A&B program is like a lottery for those employees lucky enough to get a ticket. Your chances of winning some cash are pretty good compared to real lotteries. The question is how to get some of the backline players a ticket to the game.

I myself will continue to send feedback to CA whever someone does the job especially well. But how do we pax make sure that someone gets recognition for the A&B program without our coupons?

best wishes

Barry

. . . if you tend to prefer working coach, you will have less opportunity to kiss butt. . .

I understand what you're saying UScrew as most jobs are very often thankless and the only satisfaction that most folks get is what they themselves put into the job.

[remainder edited by mod]
Barry
Cold hard cash will work, just don't call it a tip; call it a recognition coupon! :D