New Afa President

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
US Airways attendant elected union president

A US Airways flight attendant from Charlotte was elected president of the airline's flight attendants' union on Wednesday. Mike Flores, who heads the Charlotte chapter of the union, will take over Oct. 17 from current president Teddy Xidas of Pittsburgh, the Association of Flight Attendants said in a notice posted on its Web site. Flores will lead the US Airways AFA as the airline merges with America West. Combining work forces of the two airlines is expected to be a major issue in the merger.

Dear Members,
The MEC met today in Pittsburgh and voted, by majority vote, Mike Flores (CLT) as the new Master Executive Council President Elect.
Mr. Flores will begin his transition with me for the next two months and will take the seat on October 17, 2005.
The Meeting was open to the membership and many hours were spent in discussion over choosing the best candidate from those who applied for the highest ranking AFA union position at US Airways. Although there were only a few applications for this position, we want to thank those candidates who took the time to apply.
In solidarity,
Teddy
MEC President

EyeInTheSky said:
Its over stick a fork in it...God help the F/As...
[post="289103"][/post]​

Clt always sells the flight attendants down the river. They voted in ever concession, contract, bend-over, etc...

Well, what goes around comes around. I see him recalled before this merger is completed. (If we are smart)

Twicebaked said:
Clt always sells the flight attendants down the river. They voted in ever concession, contract, bend-over, etc...

Well, what goes around comes around. I see him recalled before this merger is completed. (If we are smart)
[post="289114"][/post]​

Apparently, they've been sipping too many mint juleps under the magnolia trees. Oy!

PineyBob said:
I've decided to let the F/A's do as they please without commentary from me.

[post="289118"][/post]​

Piney,

This is not as the "flight attendants" want. It was NOT put out to the membership to be voted on. It was done at an MEC meeting. I am not sure WHO voted him in, but it certainly wasn't the membership.

PITBULL, is this AFA policy to not have the membership vote? How does this get to be voted on? AFA International?
We want a voice in this. I guarantee he wouldn't be the MEC if the membership got to vote.

Twicebaked said:
Piney,

This is not as the "flight attendants" want. It was NOT put out to the membership to be voted on. It was done at an MEC meeting. I am not sure WHO voted him in, but it certainly wasn't the membership.

PITBULL, is this AFA policy to not have the membership vote? How does this get to be voted on? AFA International?
We want a voice in this. I guarantee he wouldn't be the MEC if the membership got to vote.
[post="289122"][/post]​

Twice,

The MEC Officers and MEC Chairs are elected by the 6 LEC presidents. They are the only ones with a vote. They assume that their vote is reflective of their members. The members have a voice in that THEY elect their LECP. That's where the accountability lies. And this is where the MEC landscape changes. As you know 5 out of the 6 LEC seats changed this past year.

As far as PIT 40 vote, The newly Elect did not get PIT's vote all through 40 rounds of elections that lasted hours.

However, hopefully he will be able to take some direction and learn how to deal with this management and improves the work environment and human condition for our group. He is comfortable with the media and this is one good point I see that he will continue going forward. B)

He has a lot ahead of him to grasp and many issues still need resolved. Merger is only 1 of the big issues going forward.

To the LEC 3,

You reap what you sow.

I would be happy to participate in any way to honor/thank Teddy for her dedicated service.

To the rank and file F/A's,

You're still the best.....

My best to you all...

Sadly, another example of an old truth.

After a revolution, the new leadership lines the revolutionaries against a wall, and shoots them.

It doesn't matter how hard you work or how honorable you are. There is always a group that will never accept you, and they keep their knives sharp.

The part that really fries me is a corrupt leadership never seems to have this problem, which I attribute to patronage and a ruthless disregard of the rules.

That is how the Palace thrived, and that is what AFA is becoming.

You can be measured by the size of your enemies.

Teddy is a giant.

Well, I don't know Teddy, I don't know all of the politics involved here, I don't know all the issues and all the successes and failures of the FA MEC over the past 4 years....but I do know and have worked with Mike. And I have to say that in the four years that I knew him he was a great guy who took care of his people.

I wish Teddy, Mike, and the membership the best down the road.

jm

Just curious.

Since you don't know Teddy or the issues, do you you think the drive by Flores and company to remove her from an office due to expire in December was justified?

It seems to me if there were no 'known' issues, the recall effort was tainted, wasn't it?

Another thought.

Was there ever any substantial notion that Teddy was not taking care of her people, if that is the criteria?

Justme said:
Well, I don't know Teddy, I don't know all of the politics involved here, I don't know all the issues and all the successes and failures of the FA MEC over the past 4 years....but I do know and have worked with Mike. And I have to say that in the four years that I knew him he was a great guy who took care of his people.

I wish Teddy, Mike, and the membership the best down the road.

jm
[post="289219"][/post]​

What a guy! He couldn't wait the agreed upon October ballot for the new MEC. Instead, he had to disgrace the office of AFA with his power play. Point blank, I wouldn't want this "great guy" representing me. The way he came into power is duplicitous at best.

EYE,
I DO NOT Want him representing Me Neither.

:down: RESIGN YOUR LEC POST Mr FLORES!!! :down: