New Cities added from LAX

So much for that oft-repeated myth that AA had no room for expansion at LAX.

mmmnnnnnhaaa "they don't have any space in LAX - AA will never grow in LAX, so PHX is safe...."

"PHX is the best city to start a hub to Asian destinations, cuz.... cuz... we are a big o-wait, we are the biggest city by square footage in the USA.... or something like that."

Keep telling yourself that.... by repeating this over and over again, it'll become reality in your minds, and give you peace of mind until...

Reactions: 2 people
Could be that they're cannibalizing service to cities that have multiple flights, thus opening up gate space.

That is certainly possible.

A few years ago, before AA's costs hobbled it, and before NK and VX were attacking AA at ORD and DFW, AA flew quite a few more mainline flights each day at LAX than AA does today. A while back I dug out the numbers but I can't find them today. There certainly isn't sufficient gate space to double the mainline departures but based on the historical schedules, AA could probably increase the LAX mainline schedule by 25% to 35% above its current schedule. The really good news is that AA will get preferential use of four new TBIT gates, which should be good for 30-40 daily departures plus the T-3 gates that US will get when it moves westward so that WN can have T-1 all to itself.

And some of the new service is Eagle, which all goes to the shack on the east side of Sepulveda, where AA has expanded to accomodate lots of flights.

Between T-3, T-4 and the four new gates at TBIT, my estimate is that new AA (post-merger) will have enough space for 160-200 daily mainline departures at LAX. Another idea might be to sacrifice some of those and use the T-3 gates for 2-class 76 seat Eagle departures.

So who actually is the big honcho in LAX? I was trying to google it, but didn't get a clear answer. I know that UA at one point hubbed LAX up, but then scaled it down as they already had SFO. I lost track after the merger with CO and I know CO was also pretty big in LA.

I always thought AA was the biggest in LAX. Who is actually the biggest?

So who actually is the big honcho in LAX? I was trying to google it, but didn't get a clear answer. I know that UA at one point hubbed LAX up, but then scaled it down as they already had SFO. I lost track after the merger with CO and I know CO was also pretty big in LA.

Prior to the UA-CO merger, AA was the biggest carrier at LAX. LAX airport releases some detailed market share stats and they show that now, UA + CO + UA's regional ops (mostly Skywest) are slightly larger than AA + Eagle + AA's portion of Skywest at LAX. Of course, once AA and US are merged, new AA will once again be the largest branded flying at LAX, especially with all the expansion that AA has planned. I expect to see apply for (and get) LAX-PEK and if DFW-ICN goes well, it's a given that AA will start LAX-ICN. Additionally, if AA is awarded LAX-GRU and it does well, look for LAX-EZE at some point.

According to Flightstats today AA has 90 mainline, US 16 which would be 106 mainline flights (not counting any of the previously announced new service by AA. UA has 93 mainline flights. DL has 63.

It is also among the lowest of U.S. cities in terms of population density.

Yes, but it's not the people living there that determine its suitability as a hub. Everyone knows it's the square footage of sand and cactus that takes the vacations by air. And PHX has the most. Just ask them.

(Haven't you seen all those sandbags sipping bottled water in Envoy?)

Reactions: 1 person

The Mini-Hub director for AA is Jeff Plant, he'll probably be on the street after the merger and good riddance...he's a life-sucker. Him and all his managing directors of Ramp, Customer and Cargo.

How weird that AA announced the new service but has yet to load it in their schedules! Why announce it before you can sell it?