New COO looking to improve operations

AWA320

Veteran
May 6, 2007
Western hemisphere
CHICAGO, Sept 7 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research), which has the worst record for on-time arrivals of the major US carriers this year, hopes its new chief operating officer can correct the glitches that cause delays.

A spokesman for the No. 7 U.S. airline said on Friday that the appointment of Robert Isom to the newly created position will smooth out the carrier's operations and improve its performance.

"It will be nice to have someone here who has long experience in operations and who will be focused on making sure that the operation runs smoothly," said Philip Gee.

Isom, 43, previously was a senior vice president in charge of ground operations and airport customer service for Northwest Airlines (NWA.N: Quote, Profile, Research). At US Airways he will take over some of the duties currently performed by airline President Scott Kirby.

US Airways, formed in 2005 from a merger of America West Airlines and the former US Airways, has been plagued with operational troubles at airports on the East Coast.

The airline is routinely criticized for flight delays and lost luggage in Philadelphia. In March, about 500 US Airways passengers in Charlotte, North Carolina, missed flights because of a glitch in the airline's self-service reservation system.

The U.S. Transportation Department reported this week that only 63.8 percent of US Airways' flights were on time from January through July. That is the lowest percentage of the top 10 airlines for that period.

For the month of July, however, 66.3 percent of US Airways' flights arrived on time.

US Airways shares were down 3.66 percent at $30 at midday on the New York Stock Exchange. (Reporting by Kyle Peterso)

Oh to have a job like Scott Kirby. Maybe they could do the same for me. I'm having trouble unloading and loading the flights on time and I can never seem to get my bags delivered where they go either. Can we hire someone from say United or American to come in and do my job for me? I don't want to lose my job or my paychecks mind you, but I just want them to get someone else to do the job I'm supposed to do. It'd be great to have more family time and not be bothered with even going to the airport. Just an idea. (Ideas that fly)

September 2006 - Crellin "resigns" and Kirby is appointed President. He's given a salary increase from $425,000 to $490,000
because of his increased responsibilities of the day to day operation.

September 2007 (one year later) - Kirby hires a guy to do his job at a salary of about $400,000

I doubt Kirby's salary will decrease. Do you?

So basically US Airways is now paying $890,000 a year salary for what Kirby didn't do...run the operation.....Oh that's right...we had an unusual jetstream...oh and yes ! the ATC system screwed us !

"I hear ya ! We need to fix that...we are working hard."

Robert Isom is a westie retread.

His reputation is that of a beancounter who's limited operations experience was marked by screw ups.

Apparantly it is going to need to get worse before it [eventually maybie] gets better.

Maybie he learned a lot at Northwest but I am not holding my breath.

Looks like the jetstream is going to stay "unusual" for a while.

Robert Isom is a westie retread.

His reputation is that of a beancounter who's limited operations experience was marked by screw ups.

Apparantly it is going to need to get worse before it [eventually maybie] gets better.

Maybie he learned a lot at Northwest but I am not holding my breath.

Looks like the jetstream is going to stay "unusual" for a while.
They keep promoting all of these AWA people and it seems like it only gets worse. When this Isom guy was around before isn't that when AWA had the name "America's Worst"? Maybe it would be a good idea to look outside of this company (AWA and USAir) and ALL of it's retread's and find some REAL airline people with brains that know how to get it in gear. I say if they're going to overpay someone at least overpay the likes of Gordon Bethune and get some results.

Guys,

Go to the Hub and watch his introduction video.

It's all about "the upside, okay!"

This guy sounds clueless. And all I am hearing is that we got another bean counter to fill an operations position. This doesn't sound good folks...

Tiger

"It will be nice to have someone here who has long experience in operations and who will be focused on making sure that the operation runs smoothly," said Philip Gee.

What are all those current VPs and Directors focused on?

Kissing up?

Lining their pockets?

Happy Hour?

At least it is an admission there was no one with long experience in operations ... focused on making sure that the operation runs smoothly.

Let the employees DICTATE his schedule
1) Work EVERY weekend
2) Work EVERY holiday
3) Work Nites
4) WORK SCHEDULE????????????? ASSIGN HIM A 4 HOUR SHIFT PER DAY!

See how he can manage on a piddly @SS shift, and work 2 JOBS!

Whatever the credentials of this new COO are, he has his work cut out for him! Compare standing at the bottom of Mt. Everest with NO resources to get to the top. Should be interesting.

Just saw the somewhat short interview on the hub; this is nitpicky, but I find his use of "OK?" at the end of (almost) every point rather annoying, OK?

At least he doesn't say "MMM..OK" like that teacher on "South Park".

I will admit that the use of OK was a little annoying. Thats the way most of us felt getting questions fired at us from the firing squad during our second interview. I just don't believe they will leave him to do whatever it takes to make things better. They WILL set limitations. How long do we bet he'll last here? I'm willing to give him a fair shake but shall we be honest here? Talk about a tough job. :rolleyes: PS don't look for SHARES to go away. It's NOT!! :blink:

CHICAGO, Sept 7 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research), which has the worst record for on-time arrivals of the major US carriers this year, hopes its new chief operating officer can correct the glitches that cause delays.

:shock:

I thought for sure that Jim Whitehurst from Delta was coming into the fold. Would have made more sense.

LLC...still...

love the "get back to the basics"...no S___! Sounds like he read the same interview with Gordon Bethune that I did. Gordon said that you have to get people where they are going on time. He also said treat them nicely. This Isom guy seems like a true Visionary!

Well that certainly would be a step in the right direction. We can only hope that they will consider that. What is the reason why they haven't so far?