New Dash 8's for Express!

flyingcat

Veteran
Oct 10, 2005
In the state of the airline webcast Doug Parker stated that the company is in initial talks with Bombardier for new Q300s and Q400s to replace the current Dash 8 fleet. :up:

For many of us who have to deal daily with the operational limitations of the fleet this is long welcome news.

Now we know there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I can hear it now... "We'll get you guys 50 new 400s, but you have to fly them at the rates you have now." :angry: :down: <_< :wacko: :down: :rant: :censored:

We've taken the -300 into HHH many times. It'll haul 50 in there, but it's a weight restricted SOB getting out of there.

I would imagine they'll still fly the -100s PDT owns until the wings fall off. Then they'll probably go get some of that Gorilla Glue, stick 'em back on and repeat the process.

We've taken the -300 into HHH many times. It'll haul 50 in there, but it's a weight restricted SOB getting out of there.

I would imagine they'll still fly the -100s PDT owns until the wings fall off. Then they'll probably go get some of that Gorilla Glue, stick 'em back on and repeat the process.
That Gorilla Glue is good stuff! Look how long it's held the wings on the 100's thus far!

Yea, I flew the Dash 8/300 out of HHH a couple of times. I brought my feet up off the floor on takeoff..... Damn trees looked to close to my feet!
As for flying the 400's at Dash 8/300 rates.... Hmmm, I might consider it if they pay us 300 rates on the 100's!!!!
But the Fo's would need to get a bit of the pay bump for it.
I think passagers would love these new Generation Turbo Props..... When we flew the Q200's with the NVS systems they were great... nice and quiet...

The 400 would be a monster for US Airways!!! www.q400.com

Yea, I flew the Dash 8/300 out of HHH a couple of times. I brought my feet up off the floor on takeoff..... Damn trees looked to close to my feet!
As for flying the 400's at Dash 8/300 rates.... Hmmm, I might consider it if they pay us 300 rates on the 100's!!!!
But the Fo's would need to get a bit of the pay bump for it.
I think passagers would love these new Generation Turbo Props..... When we flew the Q200's with the NVS systems they were great... nice and quiet...

The 400 would be a monster for US Airways!!! www.q400.com

Remember LOA 5 from our contract? Jet Pay Rate Formula. This was inserted into our May 16, 2000 contract concerning the way to determine pay if jets should ever come to PDT. Of course, this was superceeded with the concessionary agreement and jets for jobs program.

My arguement will be that we already have a way in our contract of determining the pay for new equipment. We take the top five hourly pay rates in the industry for 15 year captains and 5 year for first officers, average them and that will be pay we should be given. In the case of a 70 or 90 seat Dash 8 we will compare its' pay to 70 and 90 seat turboprop and jet rates.

That's definately the way to think about it. More thought should be given to it if and when an offer comes across to get some new airplanes on the property. Until then it's a pipe dream.

It would be great to see 20 or so Q400s at US. I agree that US will fly the -100s (at least a sizeable #) until they can no longer fly. They are still good for some markets that are too small for a -300. Time for the Q400 has come!!!

Well Bombardier still can make all the models just like CO had Boeing make them 767-200s long after most airlines stopped ordering them. So it might be possible that we get some Q200s also.

Bombardier has also mentioned that they might soon offer an even longer Dash 8 stretch... Q500??

The fact that there is some movement on new turboporps is great but we are still at least a year or longer away from an order and the types we get will depend on a lot of things.

If anything I would say the mix of what types we get is very much up in the air and dependendent on how well things go profit wise and hopefully whether the EMB are a big hit.

As much as 50 seat and larger turboprops are nice we still have many markets that need a 37 seater. Unless the company is comfortable with a capacity increase.

Big gamble, potentially large payoff. We are really the only network carrier who seems to be focused on domestic network changes including revamping express and mainline capacity. Everyone else is deadset on the international market expansion and that might be their undoing or ours. :unsure:

It does seem like the other airlines are pushing international expansion rather than domestic.

US might do well expanding domestically, but not with RJs. Bring on the props!

In the state of the airline webcast Doug Parker stated that the company is in initial talks with Bombardier for new Q300s and Q400s to replace the current Dash 8 fleet. :up:
For many of us who have to deal daily with the operational limitations of the fleet this is long welcome news.

Now we know there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

FlyingCat:

I have listened to the webcast, and could not find them discussing PDT or Q400's. Could you give me a timeframe on the webcast that this is discussed?

Thanks very much.

FlyingCat:

I have listened to the webcast, and could not find them discussing PDT or Q400's. Could you give me a timeframe on the webcast that this is discussed?

Thanks very much.

1 Hour 21 minutes in the broadcast.